UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Berserk is 25 episodes long, which personally I feel SRP £49.99 is acceptable enough.

DanMachi is 12 episodes long.
True, but I imagine (though I couldn't say for sure) that the licensing costs for a 20 year-old show would be lower than those for a newer property.

I mean, AL's upcoming Escaflowne SE retails at £40. At a box and some art cards and you'd probably end up at £50.

Berserk is 25 episodes long, which personally I feel SRP £49.99 is acceptable enough.

DanMachi is 12 episodes long.

Indeed.

My personal sweet-spot is around £20-30 per cour. £35-40 on the outside edge, depending on how much I like the show, how desperately I want it and the quality and amount of any on-disc extras.

Anything more just doesn't equate to good value for me, personally. Especially when the extra cost is for things that I actively dislike.

But Berserk's RRP is £50, same as this Pulling Girls in Dungeons thing. MVM take 30% off everything so you'll be able to get it from Anime-On-Line for £35... same as Berserk. And Berserk only has art cards!

I'd always take a booklet over art cards or posters but we really don't know if Manga were even able to get the booklet.

Well they have the same model for Amagi and My Love story so I would suggest it was a conscious choice by Manga rather that one that's been forced on them regarding the art books. In regards to price, the Berserk set also had a nice digi-pack 24eps and had a rigid box, I would be surprised if DanMachi retails for £35 as Manga titles don't get discounted that much and even that would be pushing it.

Id be happy to pay £40-£50 for a collectors edition with decent content but a poster and art cards don't cut it when you compare it to the competition.

A poster and art cards are equally as useless as AL's booklets to me personally.

I take it you prefer bare bones releases then? Art books have far more value for me that another other tat that's included but I suppose that's my personal preference. However from a price point I fail to see how a few art cards and poster is comparable to a proper art book.

I take it you prefer bare bones releases then? Art books have far more value for me that another other tat that's included but I suppose that's my personal preference. However from a price point I fail to see how a few art cards and poster is comparable to a proper art book.
I'd prefer a soundtrack CD or storyboards personally. They'd see actual use by myself.

When I was arguing yesterday, I wasn't arguing the set was good value for money, just that it wasn't appropriate means to attack Jerome personally. I still stand by that, but...

At the time I was arguing under the assumption there would be a standard edition. It was subsequently brought to my attention there isn't one currently listed. Given Jerome's past digs at Anime Ltd. for not doing simultaneous standard editions, this obvious hypocrisy leads me to join everyone else in questioning what the hell is going on at Manga.

I guess I can but hope we've jumped the gun and standard edition listings are coming. And before anybody tells me to wait, I'd like to question if anybody genuinely believes they'll sell 1000 units of these?

I'd prefer a soundtrack CD or storyboards personally. They'd see actual use by myself.

I would like more releases to contain soundtracks even if they aren't complete ones and just selected songs. I would find that really much more useful than artcards.

I'm not really a fan of storyboards since it doesn't really do much.

Surely there will be a standard too...

I have not been commenting on the issue as if be lying if I said I was boycotting Danmachi for anything to do with Manga (I just didn't like the actual show and dropped it after the first episode). But it looks as though the main issue here is transparency. If people thought they were having a say then it seemed to be ignored, it would be nice to get an explanation; maybe they got a bunch of DMs requesting a slimmed-down offering but we didn't see?

This is the company where the rep was saying fanboys would do obscene things to him just for a rigid box and we have been told previously that books are hard work (or heavy to ship quickly if they're bought in from the US). Maybe the lack of standard announcement upfront is another experiment to make CEs work? They know the market is changing and need to find out how to adapt soon. And they have form for cutting one audience out entirely just to cater to another. Hopefully they're listening to feedback this time.

R

Evangelion would like to say hi.
Good job on finding an exception, I guess.

One more thing to consider in terms of price/content: for new properties, distributors also need to pony up thousands of pounds in BBFC fees. Manga probably need to sell over 100 copies just to cover that. MVM didn't have to re-submit Berserk and will have already recouped fees spent getting it certified years ago through sales of previous editions.

Well they have the same model for Amagi and My Love story so I would suggest it was a conscious choice by Manga rather that one that's been forced on them regarding the art books. In regards to price, the Berserk set also had a nice digi-pack 24eps and had a rigid box, I would be surprised if DanMachi retails for £35 as Manga titles don't get discounted that much and even that would be pushing it.

Anime-On-Line take 30% off every pre-order, which means any release with a £50 retail price will be £35. And a "Rigid Collector's Box" is in the listing.

The problem is that Sentai's Premium Edition retails at $140. That's £111, and that doesn't include VAT. It looks as though Jerome has had to negotiate what he can get for £50 at retail, and maybe that didn't include the booklet. I find it hard to believe that he would deliberate screw people over, but unless he clarifies at some point then we'll never know for sure.

The problem is that Sentai's Premium Edition retails at $140. That's £111, and that doesn't include VAT.

I just checked for DanMachi. With Shipping and VAT the total is $104 from Amazon. So its £82 or so roughly atm. Not a big price gap between a large amount of extras.

Edit -

I'll be back with Amagi in a sec.

Edit Edit -

Amagi Brilliant Park from Amazon with VAT/Shipping is $110 so around £87. Still not much of a price gap difference between two vastly different collectors

I just checked for DanMachi. With Shipping and VAT the total is $104 from Amazon. So its £82 or so roughly atm. Not a big price gap between a large amount of extras.

Edit -

I'll be back with Amagi in a sec
And the Parasyte and Akame ga Kill Sentai clones sold for around that price and I don't think they sold overly well.

Surely there will be a standard too...

I have not been commenting on the issue as if be lying if I said I was boycotting Danmachi for anything to do with Manga (I just didn't like the actual show and dropped it after the first episode). But it looks as though the main issue here is transparency. If people thought they were having a say then it seemed to be ignored, it would be nice to get an explanation; maybe they got a bunch of DMs requesting a slimmed-down offering but we didn't see?

This is the company where the rep was saying fanboys would do obscene things to him just for a rigid box and we have been told previously that books are hard work (or heavy to ship quickly if they're bought in from the US). Maybe the lack of standard announcement upfront is another experiment to make CEs work? They know the market is changing and need to find out how to adapt soon. And they have form for cutting one audience out entirely just to cater to another. Hopefully they're listening to feedback this time.

R
I didn't care about Is it Wrong..., but I've had Amagi recommended to me by a couple of people, and I have been patiently waiting for Animatsu's release. So for them to screw me like this is disappointing.

That said UP1 are currently charging for £45 for Sentai's, so if those were my choices, I might end up being Animatsu's one customer *gulp*.

And the Parasyte and Akame ga Kill Sentai clones sold for around that price and I don't think they sold overly well.

Since they were £69.99 for 1 half with you requiring to buy both halfs to have the entire show. That means £139.99 for 1 show in very luckluster CEs

Since they were £69.99 for 1 half with you requiring to buy both halfs to have the entire show. That means £139.99 for 1 show in very luckluster CEs

Never mind the CEs, at least one of them is an incredibly lackluster show. They kinda felt at the first hurdle -- picking a show people actually want CEs of.

(I lasted all of 30 seconds of Parasyte, I just don't like the artstyle. I was criticising Akame ga Kill! for being a poor show.)

Never mind the CEs, at least one of them is an incredibly lackluster show. They kinda felt at the first hurdle -- picking a show people actually want CEs of.

(I lasted all of 30 seconds of Parasyte, I just don't like the artstyle. I was criticising Akame ga Kill! for being a poor show.)

Its a shame Parasyte didn't keep the style of the original manga.

Akame ga Kill was boring I agree.

Back