crunchyroll first dvd release-5 centimeters per second

ayase said:
The continued success of Crunchyroll continues to irk me. I just don't like them, never have and never will.
Why? Because they used to be an illegal streaming site?

I don't think that they're scam artists or anything, they have a good business, why would they try anything?

Also, this is great news, hopefully since Manga UK are releasing it over here, Crunchy might use Manga to release their stuff over here

Paradox295 said:
ayase said:
The continued success of Crunchyroll continues to irk me. I just don't like them, never have and never will.
That's exactly why. Basically they became an influential player on the anime scene by originally having no regard for the creators and indeed, profiting from their work without giving them a penny. It's true the copyright holders themselves deserve some of the blame for climbing into bed with them, when by rights they should have had them destroyed. Just bad business practice by all concerned, and some very wealthy people who really don't deserve their success.

Paradox295 said:
hopefully since Manga UK are releasing it over here, Crunchy might use Manga to release their stuff over here
I don't quite follow you.
It seems odd to suggest that two companies may collaborate in future on the grounds that they merely happen to hold a licence to the same title in their respective regions.

Zin5ki said:
Paradox295 said:
hopefully since Manga UK are releasing it over here, Crunchy might use Manga to release their stuff over here
I don't quite follow you.
It seems odd to suggest that two companies may collaborate in future on the grounds that they merely happen to hold a licence to the same title in their respective regions.
Oh, I thought Crunchy were producing a dub, if they're using a dub that was already made then it wouldn't matter.

I would have thought that since Crunchy were using Bandai to manufacture, package, and distribute the DVD, then they would have used Manga to do the same in the UK

Do CR own the second dub then?
I assume it's the Dub that Manga has rights issues with. The fact there's two in itself indicates issues.

Do also remeber Bandai Ent and CR do have links anyway, they do have several of their shows up in the US.
Paradox295 said:
Oh, I thought Crunchy were producing a dub, if they're using a dub that was already made then it wouldn't matter.
CR produced the dub, for when they streamed it in '09.
They're producing the DVD, Bandai are doing the box + distribution.

ayase said:
Paradox295 said:
ayase said:
That's exactly why. Basically they became an influential player on the anime scene by originally having no regard for the creators and indeed, profiting from their work without giving them a penny. It's true the copyright holders themselves deserve some of the blame for climbing into bed with them, when by rights they should have had them destroyed. Just bad business practice by all concerned, and some very wealthy people who really don't deserve their success.
I second this as a matter of principles.

I also never liked CR because of their scuzzy origins. I have come to the point now where I feel OK watching something there as long as I don't give them any money. I listened to the ANNcast that had the guy from CR on it, and right at the end they ask him about their shady past. I can't quite make up my mind if they were just naive or genuinely a bit dodgy.... at least it's all above board now I guess.

Am I seriously holding the moral high ground here? I have to do something about that... It'll ruin my reputation.

ayase, dude, you just have to let it go. CR *now* provides an amazing service, and you never know just how important streaming services like theirs might become to keep the industry alive.

Look at the number of shows from this season that are already licensed for streaming across various platforms, it's like a return to the middle of the previous decade when it wasn't obvious that the industry was dieing!

Back