Crest of the Stars

larryed112

Hikikomori
I just started watching anime recently after getting very tired of the lack of decent stories on uk tv. Im looking for serious stories and i like sci fi so gave crest a go. I really loved it, the sort of show you watch too fast.

I see that sequel stories Banner of the stars I and II are out but the Banner of the Stars III OVA doesnt seem to have had a release outside Japan?

Anyone got any recommendations for good stuff like this?

If you want serious sci fi then how about planetes?It's about a group of debris haulers(Trust me,it's a lot better than it sounds!)working for a company in space whilst they try and find their way in life or in some cases up the corporate ladder!It's got a great story to it and is a really great show.Hope that helps!^_^

The Macross Plus OVA's are great. The boxset was going cheap a few months ago so I gave it a try, and I'm glad I did. Well written and animated, certainly worth checking out if you're looking for a decent sci-fi drama.

Wildcard said:
The Macross Plus OVA's are great. The boxset was going cheap a few months ago so I gave it a try, and I'm glad I did. Well written and animated, certainly worth checking out if you're looking for a decent sci-fi drama.

Seconded

evangelion rocks said:
If you want serious sci fi then how about planetes?It's about a group of debris haulers(Trust me,it's a lot better than it sounds!)working for a company in space whilst they try and find their way in life or in some cases up the corporate ladder!It's got a great story to it and is a really great show.Hope that helps!^_^

Planetes? serious? did we see the same show?

it's atleast 70% comedy

Wildcard said:

Seconded

Ryo Chan said:
Planetes? serious? did we see the same show?

it's atleast 70% comedy
Hmm, while it's got some funny bits, 70% seems a bit of an exaggeration. Certainly not enough to make it a comedy, as you seem to be suggesting. There's terrorism, Hacimaki developing a psychosis, suicide, Ai nearly dying from asphyxiation, Yuri's wife getting killed and the issues with Hacimaki's family. Not exactly laugh-a-minute stuff.
So yeah, I think it constitutes serious. Most people I've spoken to who've watched it til the end certainly seem to have that impression of it.

Also, it's about the only "proper" anime scifi I can think of offhand.

More on topic... Legend of the Galactic Heroes has similar themes and feel to Crest, but has a much wider cast of characters... and isn't released outside of Japan either >.>
And I can't think of anything at all that has a similar charcter dynamic to Jinto and Lafiel, which was one of the best parts of Crest :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Give Last Exile a shot. Fantasy/sci fi with a good story and good action. The first proper anime I watched and still one of my best.

Dracos said:
Moonlight Mile is worth a shot for a bit of realism. Now I am waiting for the second season.
#
Was slightly put off the show by the shear amount of shagging. I mean I'm as red blooded as the next guy, but it was OTT.
Agree with Ramadahl that while Planetes had bits of funny it was at its heart a serious show. Imagine how unwatchably depressing it would have been if they had tried to play it totally straight.
Other that all the recommendations already said the original Macross may work for you as a space opera.

hopeful_monster said:
Dracos said:
Moonlight Mile is worth a shot for a bit of realism. Now I am waiting for the second season.
Was slightly put off the show by the shear amount of shagging. I mean I'm as red blooded as the next guy, but it was OTT.
Ya, seriously :/
The show was almost offensively masculine. Aside from shagging, iirc there was the drinking, random sports matches to show how athletic the main characters were and, oh yeah, out-calculating a computer. Marty Stu much? :roll:

evangelion rocks said:
Ryo Chan said:
surprised eureka 7 hasn't been mentioned yet
Yeah actually,or wolf's rain

Haha, oh dear, Wolf's Rain, oh well, whatever floats your goat, as they say. I'd hesitate before ever calling it Sci Fi, but hey, what do I know.

If you want some good sci-fi in the vein of stuff like Firefly then there's always the truly awesome Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star to consider. For something that's, allegedly, a bit more intelligent we have Evangelion. If you've got a thing for mecha then might I also suggest Nadesico and Gundam Seed (Not Gundam Seed Destiny, NEVER Gundam Seed Destiny).

If you fancy something that totally blurs the line of Sci Fi then there's also Gankutsuo a fantastically well written (if ever so slightly gay) placement of the Count of Monte Cristo in the far far future. If you want plot, lots of it, and some nail biting tension then it's just a fantastic piece of TV.

And finally for all your action based futuristic, nihilistic, anti-terrorism needs we have Ghost in the Shell, GitS2: Innocence, GitS: Stand Alone Complex, GitS: Second Gig, and GitS: Solid State Society.

How the heck any serious discussion of sci fi took place and managed to mention Wolf's Rain and Last Exile before any of these shows is beyond me. Last Exile is pure and honest Steampunk (a toned down, smoother out steampunk, but steampunk none-the-less), and Wolf's Rain is a near-apocalypse show about transforming wolves; it's on par with calling Love Hina a sci fi show because it has a blimp in it....

Back