Could this be a defining moment in the Fansub Business?

Ryo Chan

Symphogear
So yes incase you haven't heard, Dattebayo, possibly one of the most well known fansubing community, has hung up it's boots and stopped fansubbing (supossibly, anyone who knows DB, knows to take what they say with a pinch of salt)

Now saying this is true, This will leave a massive gap in the Fansub market for shows like Bleach and Naruto shipp, as apart from them, the next fastest fansub is usually a week almost slower.

Now the way i see it, this could go 1 of 2 ways.

The first being what alot of people consider a Plus for the business, The fansubs of Bleach and Naruto will start to run dry, and possibly even put a few people watching fan subs and just wait for the dvd's to come out.

Or the complete opposite. This could present itself for some fansubbing groups to rise out of the ashes of DB, and concentrate on Bleach and Naruto, thus starting a new fansub battle which could result in around 5 different fansubs per episode (alot like Code Geass and Macross gets).

So where do you see this "landmark" (and i use the term loosely) decision going?

And lets try not turn this into another "fansubs are evil" fight

thing is with most of these fansubb's they inspire people not to buy the official disk's, totally knocking down on the companies profit.

but it's really hard to say, all we can do is play the waiting game

*sits ideally*

Otaku-san said:
thing is with most of these fansubb's they inspire people not to buy the official disk's, totally knocking down on the companies profit.

but it's really hard to say, all we can do is play the waiting game

*sits ideally*

The waiting game sucks, let's play hungry hungry hippo's

*ahem* anyway, i'm still sat on the fence with that one, it's very difficult to say how fansubs hit dvd sales

while yes i can see why logic of that, without fansub, who can say how many anime fans there would be, or how many people would have "risked" a certain series.

I will admit myself, i do feel fansubs have some negetive effect on the DVD releases, but it's just a question of finding out, how much?

I think people will wait for one of the other groups i don't think any impact willl be made. But i think if companies don't hop on blu ray to quick and keep lowering the prices of sales will go up.

As a note, DB have only dropped Naruto and are still subbing Bleach at this point in time.

And I don't know if i'm one of a minority or majority, but download the fansub of Bleach each week, but I also buy each volume of Bleach as its released in the UK.

Defining moment? Sub groups drop in and out all the time. Okay, so you'll move from getting Naruto the day after broadcast to a week later....but you'll still be getting one episode a week regularly. All that's going to change is the random string of letters before people's filenames.

Hell will freeze over before Bleach/Naruto fansubs run dry. They serve no purpose whatsoever since everyone in the west and their dogs already know about the shows and whether they like/dislike them by now but the kudos of being the ones to serve up popular things like that won't let any gap remain there for long IMO.

I'm perfectly happy watching in slowmode personally and smirking at the people complaining that Naruto is sooo slow "now" (I'm only on box 8, and it's been slow as molasses from the start). Meaty boxed chunks is the only way I can tolerate popular SJ stuff.

R

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOT DATTEBAYO!!!!!

...I think it's because ZOMG have become quite well known for anime fan subs, I haven't watched much fansubs recently....I've been watching dub

King Jimmeh said:
And I don't know if i'm one of a minority or majority, but download the fansub of Bleach each week, but I also buy each volume of Bleach as its released in the UK.

Snap.

Its only after rewatching season one that I realised how far that show has fallen aswell.
I for one will not be buying the filler dvds and I dont think I'm alone either.

Hey, maybe they can actauly fansub something that could do with a fan sub instead of Bleach (which, from all reports is going to die the same death as Kenshin) and Naruto (which is haleriously Licenced, not just licenced but haleriously so).

xxXXmoomooXXxx said:
...I think it's because ZOMG have become quite well known for anime fan subs
I watched one from them, like months ago and wanted to kill myself after three seconds.

I take it as DB finally actually got bored of Naruto Shippuden as one of the reasons they have given up on it (Although this entire thread may be defunct if they release another episode). If they can recognise Dennou Coil as something worth watching, They must know the state of the current Naruto anime (which I dropped ages ago, ;p, along with Bleach)

I don't think anything "big" will happen unless VIZ step in, Which I dunno about. They seem to know about the existence of DB and their translations, But would be a bit ";o" to everyone if they just started releasing it (like they did Death Note).

Conan-san said:
Bleach (which, from all reports is going to die the same death as Kenshin)
Yeah, I rather Stitch! too.

I dropped Naruto ages ago. Not even 100 episodes into Shippuuden and they hit filler. -_-

Bleach has been made of fail since after the Soul Society arc. I'm surprised I watched it until the break in the Hueco Mundo arc. Over 100 episodes of crap.
Otaku-san said:
I'll believe that when the companies release their sales figures. Of course, with most of them being private limited instead of public limited, they don't have to show their figures. :/

Jayme said:
Conan-san said:
I wasn't even aware anyone would get that.

But man, sucks for Bleach fans, right? To get replaced by what is effectivly Stitch flavored Power Puff Girls Z.

Another group will step-in to sub Naruto if Dattebayo really have quit (by now, you should all be well aware they aren't afraid of playing tricks on their beloved leachers). Before Dattebayo took ahold of the Naruto scene, I clearly remember how there were at least 4 or 5 groups (AnimeOne, ANBU and Toriyama World immediately jump to mind) competing between themselves on a regular basis. That will happen again.

Also, interesting to note how in their "press release", they state that they would have dropped Naruto in the past if someone sent them a Cease and Desist notice, but that never happened. Quite bizarre, don't you think? It's the most downloaded fansub every week yet they've never had to struggle against the industry. May be Viz are just scared of upsetting the fanbase?

Finally, it was interesting to see that Dattebayo have started subbing Dennou Coil, despite the fact its already been completely released elsewhere. It's a series that deserves more attention, so its great that they've decided to give it a helping hand, though I wouldn't mind seeing them take on something like Kaiba, which hasn't already been finished and similarly deserves more attention.

Well you'll find out on Thursday/Friday whether or not this is yet another elborate troll... My prediction: it's a troll.

Paul said:
I wouldn't mind seeing them take on something like Kaiba, which hasn't already been finished and similarly deserves more attention.

I'd agree with the more attention bit, the fansubbers who are doing it already (to the best standard I've ever seen!) are only a couple of weeks or so behind.

I thought this was just another troll. I think I read somewhere that the next shippuuden was out on the 24th. Or was that BS?

Conan-san said:
Jayme said:
Conan-san said:

But man, sucks for Bleach fans, right? To get replaced by what is effectivly Stitch flavored Power Puff Girls Z.

Yes, this has confused me. Does anyone know what is going to happen to Bleach when Stitch! takes it slot in autumn?

Also, I do doubt i'll be buying the filler DVDs, and agree the series has lost a lot since the end of the Soul Society arc.

King Jimmeh said:
Conan-san said:
Jayme said:
Conan-san said:

Yes, this has confused me. Does anyone know what is going to happen to Bleach when Stitch! takes it slot in autumn?

Also, I do doubt i'll be buying the filler DVDs, and agree the series has lost a lot since the end of the Soul Society arc.
Dood, the entire series lost it's way when it stoped being Ghostbusters with swords and became DBZ...with swords.

Rui said:
Hell will freeze over before Bleach/Naruto fansubs run dry.
QFT, as Paul follows...

Paul said:
Another group will step-in to sub Naruto if Dattebayo really have quit (by now, you should all be well aware they aren't afraid of playing tricks on their beloved leachers). Before Dattebayo took ahold of the Naruto scene, I clearly remember how there were at least 4 or 5 groups (AnimeOne, ANBU and Toriyama World immediately jump to mind) competing between themselves on a regular basis. That will happen again.
Learn portuguese and get from the dattebayo Brasil :p

melonpan said:
Well you'll find out on Thursday/Friday whether or not this is yet another elborate troll... My prediction: it's a troll.
That would be the fourth time this year? They keep saying they would drop Naruto, that they will delay because of leachers and stuff, etc...

I like their work, but hate their sense for humour =/

Conan-san said:
...(which is haleriously Licenced, not just licenced but haleriously so).
Sorry, I don't get this... haleriously?

Back