Convention coverage: NYAF

ryuzaki said:
Yeah it's a great site to get news first hand, been there before etc.

14:51:29 <bay> packaging is changing with the new technology

For the worst I feel in Funimation's case...

ANN Funimation panel report of Otakon 2008 said:
Among the new strategies Funimation is looking into are new pricing models for DVD releases, "unique and innovative" packaging, and looking beyond the usual market of anime fans for trends and opportunities.

Not that that says it's positive or nagative "unique and innovative", one would assume it'd be more towards the positive end of things, especially as the anime industry is a niche and collector orientated market (on the majority of shows), Funimation just thinks it's a good idea to devalue and price-down their shows to stupid prices and put them in crappy 'mainstream American tv show' packaging.

I wouldn't mind FUNi's half series sets (in fact I cherish the idea) if they didn't try and jam a disk full of episodes or used better packaging.

All I can say is at least the majority of FUNi shows that appeal to me have already been released previously under the standard 6 vols. w/ artbox scheme, and that Claymore and Darker than Black are also getting it.

However, it'll be so frustrating if FUNi turn around in a few months or something and announce they have "insert sequal here", only to release it in sets when the first season was released over 6 volumes with a nice artbox.

Back