Comiket

I wish. Went last summer and absolutely melted in the heat :(

Maybe next year...any reason for the question?

R

Yes, I'm going, thought it was an outside chance but would have been cool if one or two other people might have been there. :)

I went to last year's on my honeymoon ;)

Have fun ilmaestro, you lucky fiend. Take towels. And water.

R

As awesome, funny and packed as Comiket sounds I don't think I'd really have much of a reason to go. If anything, it'd be the atmosphere. ComiCon (and AX) are higher up my list.

JUMP Festa and Tokyo Anime Fair would easily suffice as well.

Have fun ilmaestro!

Cheers guys, I hope I do! I shall be taking as many precautions as possible against the heat, as that was what was worrying me when I'd previously considered going.

That's rotten. Are you still going to be in Japan? The smaller doujinshi fairs are still worth a look.

Knowing that there's always next time probably isn't much comfort when it was getting so close :(

R

No, turns out someone needs my money more than I do atm, and at the end of the day I was only going to Japan for a holiday, so I'm going to rearrange my holiday plans completely. I might go back out to Japan in February, and then Comiket next summer, as I know I won't be able to get time off work during the winter.

I has my Comiket 76 catalog to look though. ^______^

I'm making this post while killing an hour in a manga internet cafe while I wait for someone, but I'll try to provide updates anyway if I get chance as I have internet at the place I'm staying.

edit: Oh, did I not post to say that the other problem was solved like a week ago? I thought I did. Yeah, my Japan trip was back on at the last minute, had to run around like a madman to get it sorted (including - doh! - a one day passport renewal) at short notice but I'm here now, anway.

ilmaestro said:
edit: Oh, did I not post to say that the other problem was solved like a week ago? I thought I did. Yeah, my Japan trip was back on at the last minute, had to run around like a madman to get it sorted (including - doh! - a one day passport renewal) at short notice but I'm here now, anway.

Hurrah!

If you said it you did so very quietly. I'm both envious and pleased for you :)

Planning my next trip for next Summer Comiket now. I hope the weather is clement this weekend, so at least the roof will be pleasant for you. The halls themselves are something of a lost cause in summer.

R

Haha, it was nice to read through this thread and see it's eventual conclusion was a good one :]

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Jayme. Doujinshi really doesn't interest me all that much (as far as I understand it, about 85% of all doujins are some kind of hentai?). I'd much prefer to go to San Diego ComicCon or AnimeExpo.

CitizenGeek said:
(as far as I understand it, about 85% of all doujins are some kind of hentai?)
If anything, the ratio is closer to the other way around. Certainly well under half of the circles at Comiket are selling adult material.

I do have a post on this mentally typed up, just have to get around to physically typing it. ^^;

ilmaestro said:
CitizenGeek said:
(as far as I understand it, about 85% of all doujins are some kind of hentai?)
If anything, the ratio is closer to the other way around. Certainly well under half of the circles at Comiket are selling adult material.

I do have a post on this mentally typed up, just have to get around to physically typing it. ^^;

I, like a lot of people, have that impression. Mainly as most people that import them to this country do it for the pervs and fangirls. Watching Genshiken doesn't help much either. lol

The vast majority of my doujinshi are actually comedy (some with bawdy humour certainly but nothing I'd be worried about getting in trouble over). It seems that all of the scans that appear after Comiket in certain groups focus entirely on the dodgy content from the more adult-focused parts of Comiket and completely ignore the gag stuff, making the ratio seem rather disproportionate.

A lot of the famous doujinshi circles also focus on ecchi stuff. The gag stuff (as well as the serious fiction etc which doesn't interest me at all) seems to be of lower artistic quality but greater quantity.

R

ok, I'm thinking about attending this one. Which day should I be there? Would I enjoy it if I go only on the last day? What are the must do things once I'm there? Is it enjoyable even if you don't speak japanese?

Going just for the Sunday would be fine if you were just looking to get a feel of the event, I would think. If you're not specifically worried about getting doujinshi from certain groups, you'd still be able to look through the main halls, go into the dealer's room, and see the cosplay with ease. I'd also think it would definitely still be enjoyable if you don't speak Japanese, tbh. I really should have finished up that write up I was doing of last year, in fact I still might.

Back