Claymore: Vol. 1 - 1 or 3 DVDs?

If it's sent from America then the value declared won't be £17.99: it'll be whatever £17.99 translates into at the time. By the time the package recahes UK customs, £17.99 in dollars could very well equal £20.

First, I don't think anything I've ever ordered from PlayUSA has been shipped from the US. Second, you pay in GBP and PlayUSA put that value, in GBP, on the customs form. Basically, if you don't get warned about customs charges when adding an item to your cart, it's safe.

If you are billed in GBP I am pretty sure that you can dispute any customs charges too. I assume their choice of £17.99 is no coincidence :)

R

If you believe so strongly that it'll get through customs, feel free to be my guinea pig and test your theory. :) I'll be eager to hear your results!

...the bad thing about buying the remastered set will be having to seal my current set. I bet I'll get a buyer from Iraq.

Aion said:
...the bad thing about buying the remastered set will be having to seal my current set. I bet I'll get a buyer from Iraq.
:D

Trust me, it's fine. I recently bought the Gundam movie set for £17.99 and that came through unscathed. Try adding to your cart an item over £18; you'll get a warning about possible customs charges and have to confirm that you understand and accept the risk. Anything that doesn't trigger that warning will definitely, absolutely not be charged.

I ordered a £17.99 item from them 2-3 weeks ago and it was shipped within Europe and had no fees (arrived in a couple of days, too). If I actually wanted the Berserk set I'd take your bet too but I'm in no rush to upgrade mine yet while there's other stuff to buy ;)

R

...fine, fine, I've ordered it. It's hard to resist getting the remastered version of my 4th favourite anime for as little as £18. My only regret is that I paid £20 for the old box set not too long ago.

The good thing about PlayUSA is the free P&P. Places like DVD Pacific shock you with an extra 3 or 4 quid when you come to the checkout. This summer DVD Pacific was good when the prices were really cheap, and I had a couple of parcels sneak past customs.

But the way that the exchange rate is now, PlayUSA are certainly more competitive, but I think that if it's over £18 from them, it will get nabbed by customs.

So is PlayUSA basically the same as PlayUK? I mean can I use my PlayUK account to buy from the US version of the site?

Aion said:
Beez try to sell like the Japanese do in Japan, just with a more normal amount of volumes. I can't say I get how they're staying afloat when they can't be selling a great amount when most anime fans stick their nose up over spending a few quid on anime... Maybe more diehard otaku exist in the UK than I think?
I think they probably do. Not necessarily die-hards, but people like me who don't mind spending quite a lot on something they enjoy. As long as I think I'll enjoy it, I'm all over just about anything nicely presented or "limited edition" (though I'm painfully aware that the phrase is often used in the looseset possible sense). I don't think most anime fans object to paying more, rather it's the casual buyers that do and as I said, they're not likely to buy much from Beez's catalogue anyway. People like me are Beez's target market, and what they're doing at the moment pleases me a lot more than what they were doing before.

Aion said:
From my point of view (someone cheap), I'd rather the current Manga Ent. that releases high quality DVDs and releases nearly everything in cheap box sets take over all Beez's licenses. The Beez way of selling just slows down the progression of anime, restricting the people who buy their goods to the sort of people who already have a silly amount of anime. The only way to get new anime fans buying DVDs is to price animated TV series closer to the price of live-action TV series.
So lets say for every 40 copies of Bleach Series 1 Manga sells, Beez sell 1 copy of Wolf's Rain. Then let's say Manga take over the licence and halve the price. They sell 2 copies and make no more money. Without any marketing (which there is next to none of for anime in the UK - and I don't imagine it's viable under the current economic conditions) things don't sell because there is no interest generated amongst casual buyers who make up a lot of the market. Anime which are obscure to the majority of people won't sell more just by being cheaper. Most people will pick them off the shelf, look at them and go "Nah" and put them back down again no matter what the price because they're out of their "Shounen Fighting Show" comfort zone. Let's remember that you and I, being members of an Anime forum, are a lot more knowedgable about anime and interested in learning about new releases than most people who buy it.

Sy said:
So is PlayUSA basically the same as PlayUK? I mean can I use my PlayUK account to buy from the US version of the site?

Yes, it's the same. If you have an account on Play, just use that password and e-mail to log into PlayUSA and you're away. All your details should be on there.

I received by first two packages today, and the last Viridian set I will ever buy. It's horrendous.

Interestingly the label on the package is the usual Play.com label, with a Royal Mail postage logo in the corner, and a return address to Oxfordshire, The detailed description of contents has the value written in Pounds, and it's identical to the usual Play.com package. The only hint that the origin may be foreign is that the Jiffy bag has Made in the USA written on it.

Amazon have DtB and Claymore sets now listed as two disc sets, with release dates set for May.

With the series taking so long to get released, could it mean that these series will actually be released in double-triple disc sets? If these were just single disc releases then I don't see why Manga are allowing themselves to fall so before behind the American release schedule...

Yeah, it looks like they will now be sold as double volume releases at 19.99rrp. Anime on line also show this and even play have changed the rrp on their site from 14.99 to 19.99 which suggests this.

8 eps for around £13 seems like a very good deal.

It would be great if that's the case. I'd pre-order both right now to show my support if I knew for sure -- £4.50 per disc for a pre-order is excellent value for money.

Manga have made a mess out of this, though. First they revealed they were going to release single disc releases, then every store got confused for some reason and not it seems Manga have decided to go with multi-disc releases. Their pre-orders will suffer if they don't sort it out.

Between this and Death Note it really does make me wish they'd do more PR and speak to fans (or keep their website decently up to date) so that we knew what was going on. I almost never preorder anything in the UK because the quality of prerelease information is so shoddy and this is a prime example of why. If I don't know what's going on, I just wait until I see the volumes in shops or reviewed before adding them to my wishlist.

I'm still not buying Claymore anyway but am looking at it as a hint of how Manga's releases are likely to be going forwards; it's good news if they've decided the double volumes are viable even for this one.

R

In the hope of getting answers, I've sent an email to Manga. I'm pretty sure Jerome is the only person who reads their emails.

Hi,

The reason I'm messaging you is to clear up the huge amount of confusion shared by many anime fans. The confusion is caused by information shown on EVERY internet store about Darker than BLACK and Claymore.

As far as I'm aware, someone from Manga Entertainment called Jerome told Paul, the admin of Anime UK News Network, that both series would be released as single disc releases. Then, when internet stores allowed pre-orders, the situation quickly became messy because every single store listed volume 1 of both series as 3-disc sets. This contradicted what Jerome had (supposedly) told Paul of AUKN and made everyone uncertain of whether to pre-order or not. And, as if to add to the mess, Amazon have now listed volume 1 of both series as 2-disc sets. So, as it stands, no-one has any idea if the releases are going to have 1, 2 or 3 discs included. Can you clear this up once and for all by either going on AUKN or replying to this message please?

The other issue/question I have is regarding Death Note. With volume 4 being the first single release to date it's made a lot of fans angry because they assume you're going to randomly switch to single disc releases from volume 4 onwards. Everyone knew there would have to be at least one single disc release but it would've been more logical (and tidy) for it to go at the end. Some posters on AUKN are refusing to order volume 4 until this is cleared up, so it'd be for the best all round if you, or someone else from Manga, explained how the rest of Death Note is to be released.

I'm looking forward to your reply. Please do so because it'll assist me AND others.

- Daniel

Back