Do you buy anime dvds from the US?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Area88 said:
butch-cassidy said:
You wanna know the simple reason why people should buy from the UK market? It’s for the future. End of story. Maybe I sound like a optimistic or naive but I want this market to grow, I want more people to buy anime, to enjoy it! If we all packed up shop and ordered it from the states then it would be the dark days of the mid nineties all over again!

Yeh, i'm sure future generations would be glad you helped maintain inflated prices and inferior Ntsc to Pal conversions.

I'd rather see a large high quality US market keep on expanding than a small low quality UK market progress a tiny bit more.

Without a UK anime market there probably won't be any future generations, after all there'll be nothing to introduce them to anime. Or more likely, the number of anime fans in this country would decrease drastically. In the end the result is the same, no effect on your precious US market.

That's not blinded by patriotism, it's helping and promoting anime become more popular in the UK. Of course, there are a lot of titles which are not available in this country and most likely never will be, so I import them. Can you say the same about the (limited) number of titles available in this country but not in R1? Would you be willing to buy the UK release of them?

Noratav said:
Can you say the same about the (limited) number of titles available in this country but not in R1? Would you be willing to buy the UK release of them?

I already have such as Little Norse Prince and all the old Kiseski dvds. But as soon as they these titles get released on R1 then i will buy that version since i will do anything to avoid the plague that is the PAL format.

My most recent purchase Little Norse Prince suffers from classic Ntsc to Pal conversion symptoms such as ghosting, artefacts and pal speedup.

KidModder said:
What the hell is wrong with PAL? just move to america man, you even value their tv format over ours.

I'm not Area88, but I think I can answer this one for you. There is nothing wrong with PAL per se. In theory PAL is the superior TV format, despite the unnecessary and annoying problem of PAL Speedup. The problem lies with the cheap and shoddy third rate, NTSC to PAL conversions that the UK Anime Companies (and other companies as well) insist on flogging us in an effort to cut costs. Such conversions include significant ghosting and artefacts, as well as magnifying any problems in the existing NTSC source. Many people don't notice such things, but it can be extremely annoying for those who do. Out of sheer necessity, I've trained myself to ignore such problems where possible, but Area88 obviously has not.

Noratav said:
I'm not Area88, but I think I can answer this one for you. There is nothing wrong with PAL per se. In theory PAL is the superior TV format, despite the unnecessary and annoying problem of PAL Speedup. The problem lies with the cheap and shoddy third rate, NTSC to PAL conversions that the UK Anime Companies (and other companies as well) insist on flogging us in an effort to cut costs. Such conversions include significant ghosting and artefacts, as well as magnifying any problems in the existing NTSC source. Many people don't notice such things, but it can be extremely annoying for those who do. Out of sheer necessity, I've trained myself to ignore such problems where possible, but Area88 obviously has not.

Congratulations Noratav your the first person to understand the technical inferiority of UK releases. The PAL format is superior in theory since it's only slightly higher resolution than NTSC. However 99% of companies convert their releases from NTSC to PAL which gives us an completly inferior release.

If you don't mind knowingly paying more for an inferior release than thats fine with me.

Area88 said:
If you don't mind knowingly paying more for an inferior release than thats fine with me.

Mild ghosting and artefacting in anime releases doesn't bother me that much. Partly because my old TV used to ghost everything so I learned to look past such problems, and partly because I'm not particularly strict about the video quality of animated material. A poor quality live action encode bugs me a lot more than a poor quality anime encode. Don't ask me why, as I have no explanation for it.

Besides, the price difference isn't that significant normally once postage is included, even from DVD Pacific and unlike you I'm prepared to pay a little more to support the UK Market for the reasons I mentioned previously. If you're not I respect that, but can you be somewhat less vocal about it? All you're doing is annoying everybody, including those people who do import.

Finally, I'm not the only one to notice, It's just that the people who do tend to hang out over at AoD rather than here.

Noratav said:
Finally, I'm not the only one to notice, It's just that the people who do tend to hang out over at AoD rather than here.

Are these people over at AoD smarter or more perceptive some how?

Or is it because they are more open minded and more willing to learn?

STOP! Sheesh, this is a circular arguement, and you guys aren't going to get anywhere.

NTSC releases are better -> We import -> US market increases -> UK market decreases -> because UK market decreases, less people are introduced/interested in anime -> less people import -> US market deflates to normal -> back to where we were five years ago.

Then of course someone kicks off the anime "craze" again, and as more people in the UK become interested in anime, they learn about the better US releases and import them - a la step one of the above flow thingy.

Area88 said:
Or is it because they are more open minded and more willing to learn?

You sir have done something that few have done before. You have made me angry, and for the sake of putting this whole thing behind us I will not post the previously prepared comments. You are a child, and despite your façade of 'knowledge' you have no idea how this industry works. If you want to import, import but DON’T try and change the minds of those whom understand the catastrophic results if we all did the same.

EvaUnit02 said:
ADV should be putting out a Macross thinpak collection sometime next year, as history dictates.

I doubt it, they havn't put an Aura Dunbine thinpack out. Considering most fans will have already bought either the Animeigo version or the new ADV release, there won't be that many people left to warrant yet another release.

Area88 said:
EvaUnit02 said:
ADV should be putting out a Macross thinpak collection sometime next year, as history dictates.

I doubt it, they havn't put an Aura Dunbine thinpack out. Considering most fans will have already bought either the Animeigo version or the new ADV release, there won't be that many people left to warrant yet another release.

Yes, but Aura Battler Dunbine is a fairly obscure 80s mecha show, which by all accounts sold badly and finished its release about 18 months before ADV released its first thinpack. Whereas Macross is the unedited version of one of the most famous anime series in existence. Yes it's been released before by Animeigo, but that version (a) didn't have a dub and (b) wasn't as widely available. Assuming Macross sold has even remotely well, (which it almost certainly has) ADV will put out a thinpack of it, whether the market exists for it or not. I'd expect it to be released in time for Christmas next year, and when they do release it I'll buy it instantly.

Back