CG Anime?

AnimeAndi

Completely Average High School Student
Hi Guys,

I watched Appleseed last night and both me and my BF were blown away by the movie. I am rather new when it comes to being a Anime fan so forgive my ignorance but are there anyother CGI animated anime films (Not TV show collections etc - they don't have to be cinema films but must have a start and an end without having to buy half a dozen boxsets! LOL) that are worth viewing?

My BF said there is a sequel to Appleseed coming out soon but that is all he knows about. Over to you...

x

Vexille is made in the exact same style as Appleseed and is 'from the creators of Appleseed' according to movie posters I saw when I watched it at the BFI. It's an INCREDIBLE film, if you liked Appleseed you'll love Vexille.

I like a little CG anime like Appleseed but if this style would dominate in the future I would be :( . I much prefer the hand drawn style.

jonboy said:
I like a little CG anime like Appleseed but if this style would dominate in the future I would be :( . I much prefer the hand drawn style.

Have to agree wit you here jonboy.

Though I must say I dont think the future will be dominated by CG anime.

The term CG is being used rather loosely here.

CG is used to make all digital anime. I'm trying to think of a way to define the loose term "CG" more clearly, but I'm really not having much luck O_O. The amount of proper 3D looking designs in things varies massively from anime to anime...

You go from all 3D-lifelike-anti-anime style Final Fantasy films (Spirits Within, Advent Children) to 3D-cel-shaded with the rest of everything being totally 3D-looking (like Vexille/Appleseed) to the likes of Blassreiter/Aquarion where you have very 3D looking models with lots of 2D-looking animation.... to other shows where there is no visible 3D looking parts like Shin-chan, etc.

Loose terms!

I have to agree with melonpan.

Things I can think of are the Final Fantasy Films, The Appleseed films and Vexille. If you want something similar in style try the French film Paris 2054 Renaissance, although it's heavy black and white (no shading) can be a little painful to watch.

I dare say everything is CG now... There are the more realistic/3d looking ones and the ones that looks hand draw, but I doubt they still do much hand draw stuff these days....

I found Appleseed extremely boring.

A lot of things are CG'd nowadays. Bones pretty much do CG only for their animation. Gonzo will find any excuse to use it.

Maxon said:
I found Appleseed extremely boring.

A lot of things are CG'd nowadays. Bones pretty much do CG only for their animation. Gonzo will find any excuse to use it.

Bones only use CG? How do you mean? I'm guessing you mean it's digital rather than being true CGI made up of polygons. Last time I checked Bones only seemed to use actual CGI once in a while.

In terms of full CGI animation I have mixed feelings; I don't despise it or anything I just prefer the more expressive style of conventional animation.

Wildcard said:
Bones only use CG? How do you mean? I'm guessing you mean it's digital rather than being true CGI made up of polygons. Last time I checked Bones only seemed to use actual CGI once in a while.
When I say CG, I mean anything that's done by computer since CG obviously stands for Computer Generated.

What Bones does might not be CG in the traditional sense, but by definition, they still do CG animation.

Maxon said:
Wildcard said:
When I say CG, I mean anything that's done by computer since CG obviously stands for Computer Generated.

What Bones does might not be CG in the traditional sense, but by definition, they still do CG animation.

Right, I figured that's how you meant it. I just imagine that the thread refers to CGI as it's used in films like Appleseed and such. Though almost all animation is now technically CG, with most stuff there will still be someone drawing the linework. They'll just be doing it with a digital tablet rather then pencil and paper.

Back