Candy Color Paradox Volume 1 Review

Sarah

Staff
AUKN Staff
Looking for a new Boys’ Love manga with believable characters and an engaging, well-written story? Why not try Candy Color Paradox – set in the world of scoop journalism, it could be your next favourite series!

Continue reading...

Great review! Sounds like the kind of characters I'd get along with/find amusing. It's a shame that it might feel dated now in terms of how they handled journalism then (which I guess is getting on to a decade ago...) compared to todays world, but I think I could look past that. Hopefully.

Do you know if it's stalled in Japan? Four volumes since 2011 doesn't seem like a lot, but then maybe BL series are put out a lot less frequently compared to those I'm used to...

Thank you ;) - and I don't think the 2011 picture the world of journalism is a major impediment to enjoying the story. ;)

Isaku Natsume has just had a 'fifteen years' celebratory exhibition in Osaka! This series is ongoing - as is at least one of her other series (also very good) Hanakoi Tsurane which is about kabuki actors and is also up to four volumes; Natsume-sensei seems to have the knack of keeping more than one series going at once - and I can confirm that having read Volumes 2-4 of Candy Color Paradox (in French, thanks to Taifu Manga) the later volumes are still very entertaining!

The real problem for us with BL series is US publishers bringing out one or two volumes and then letting the title languish, June/DMP being the main culprit here. Thank goodness for SuBLime who have rescued some of the titles like A Strange and Mystifying Story.

Thank you ;) - and I don't think the 2011 picture the world of journalism is a major impediment to enjoying the story. ;)

Isaku Natsume has just had a 'fifteen years' celebratory exhibition in Osaka! This series is ongoing - as is at least one of her other series (also very good) Hanakoi Tsurane which is about kabuki actors and is also up to four volumes; Natsume-sensei seems to have the knack of keeping more than one series going at once - and I can confirm that having read Volumes 2-4 of Candy Color Paradox (in French, thanks to Taifu Manga) the later volumes are still very entertaining!

Ah that certainly explains the slower output if she's juggling multiple series at once! I see Hanakoi Tsurane doesn't appear to be licensed in English, but I'll keep an eye out for it if it ever does get picked up.

The real problem for us with BL series is US publishers bringing out one or two volumes and then letting the title languish, June/DMP being the main culprit here. Thank goodness for SuBLime who have rescued some of the titles like A Strange and Mystifying Story.

Yeah I have noticed that unfortunately happens a lot re: the US publishers bringing out a couple of volumes and then letting them fade into oblivion. Hopefully the fact Candy Color Paradox is SuBLime means it has a more successful future. I think I saw it in-stores last week, so if it's still there I'll pick up volume 1 tomorrow and check it out for myself while showing SuBLime there is demand for more. :)

Back