Can someone explain .hack to me please?

Gekko Go

Kiznaiver
I'd like to start watching/reading it but I have no clue where to start with all the seemingly random names for the different things in the franchise.

i'm not the biggest help on this but if i remember rightly, i think .hack//Sign is first up, then i think there is an OVA or two which takes place then after the first 4 game series takes place, then the legend of the twilight bracelet anime/manga comes after. i'm not sure much after that though, i think the best people to answer that is Chaz and Ryo.

You're Best watching .hack//sign first followed by the light novels .hackk://AI Buster which is a general backstory into the series and .hack//Zero which follows what happens to Sora after the series ends

then it depends on if you can find the 4 games.

If you can, there are some books that go with the story that focus on the characters point of view in .hack://Another birth

the games usually also come with and OAV .hack//Liminality which follows the games from the real world point of view

If not, the next step is .hack//legend of the twilight

The manga and the series of that completly differ at the end, so i'd suggesst the manga over the series

Then finally we we have .hack//Roots which leads onto the .hack//GU OAV's and games (not that i'd imagine you'd be able to get ahold of the game here)

Hope

Main Stuff:

.hack//sign {Anime}

|
V

.hack//Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, Quarantine [In game] {Video Games} = .hack//Another Birth [In game, retells game stories] {Novel} = .hack//Liminality [Real World] {OVA}

|
V

.hack//Legend of the Twilight {Manga/anime is slightly different plot}

They're the main bits, other bits do exist, and there is the G.U. stuff which is set years after this set.

mm, I've started with the legend... it's enjoyable without the rest.
Actually, besides Sign I wasn't aware they had so much on this franchise...

Ryo Chan said:
Espy said:
If I remember right, the Sign box sets include the OVA originally included with the four games.

i think it only includes the 25 episode and .hack//gift which is just a micky take

The 2 box sets do indeed include Liminality, though i had all four of them already with the games, so i've spares of them now.

can anyone list the right order for the whole story line cause i am interested in buying the whole thing in terms of the manga, anime and the games. cause from i am standing it is kind of scary to try and get involved in it!

devilrules666 said:
can anyone list the right order for the whole story line cause i am interested in buying the whole thing in terms of the manga, anime and the games. cause from i am standing it is kind of scary to try and get involved in it!

Look above a few posts.

Ba****d! I missed my chance where I shine the most! Argh!
Well, I see my knowledged has been passed already by others.

However, you missed other novels like .hack//A.I. Buster (prologue) and .hack//XXXX (another original game perspective, like Another Birth).

Full Timeline that I have saved (only just got home to access it):

* .hack//Intermezzo (flashbacks) (OVA of .Hack//Sign)

* .hack//AI Buster (Novel)

* .hack//2nd Character (Story in .hack//AI Buster 2 (manga))
* .hack//SIGN: The character Tsukasa becomes trapped within The World. (anime)
* .hack//Wotan's Spear (Story in .hack//AI Buster 2 (manga))
* .hack//ZERO (single novel)
* .hack//Intermezzo (OVA of .Hack//Sign)
* .hack//Games: Kite begins his investigation of the circumstances that led to his friend Yasuhiko falling comatose.
* .hack//Another Birth (Manga)
* .hack//Liminality (OVA's with Games)

2013:
* .hack//Kamui (Story in .hack//AI Buster 2 (manga))
* .hack//Rumor (Story in .hack//AI Buster 2 (manga))

2014:
* .hack//Firefly (Story in .hack//AI Buster 2 (manga))
* .hack//Legend of the Twilight (manga)

Nov:* .hack//Roots begins (new anime)
Dec:* .hack//Alcor (manga included in the Magazine .hack//GU The World.)

* .hack//GnU (manga included in the Magazine .hack//GU The World.)
* .hack//CELL (novel included in the Magazine .hack//GU The World.)
Jul:* The events of the .hack//G.U. games begin

Hi Jimmeh,

Question, the timeline you mention on the other post is the year in the story, not the year of the release, correct? I'm confused....

To get the story, you don't really need to buy everything... You should buy (and read/watch in this order)

.hack//SIGN boxsets 1 & 2 from Beez

.hack//Another Birth novels (watching the correct episode of Liminality after each one)

.hack//Legend of Twiglets (manga)

.hack//AI Buster novels 1 & 2 (1 takes place before sign, but AI Buster works better when read after Twilight.

---------------------------------------

.hack//Roots
.hack//GU Trilogy anime, or .hack//GU manga

There are lots more parts to the story, but watching and reading those listed above is essentially all you need

Back