Can Money Make You Happy?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
skikes said:
SundayMorningCall said:
yes and no, you can buy things that make you happy with money, however, money itself is merely what you use to acquire these things, one could argue that it is not the money that made you happy but just what you bought with it.

this is silly. you could never own those things without having money so things you purchase that make you happy is still money making you happy at the root.

surely the fact that the money only allows you to buy those things makes it an "enabler" for your happiness though, not a direct cause, the money alone won't make you happy, you could have £1m, but if you cant buy anything with it, would you still be happy?

SundayMorningCall said:
surely the fact that the money only allows you to buy those things makes it an "enabler" for your happiness though, not a direct cause, the money alone won't make you happy, you could have £1m, but if you cant buy anything with it, would you still be happy?

Now this is really silly. Your talking hypothetically situations that could never be. In what universe would you have millions of pounds and nothing to spend it on?
If in some universe money was worthless and everyone traded in apples my question would have been... "can apples make you happy"

I'm not just referring to currency, I'm referring to money and all things u couldn't have without it.

But i guess happiness means different things to different people. I man living in the mountains who grows his own food and has no need or interest in anything else but finding someone to love. Could money make him happy?

skikes said:
But i guess happiness means different things to different people. I man living in the mountains who grows his own food and has no need or interest in anything else but finding someone to love. Could money make him happy?
That's kinda what I was getting at earlier. In an earlier time no, he wouldn't have needed money. But today? How did he buy his property in the mountains? He'll presumably have to pay Council Tax and buy his seeds.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cqkghs1jQ4w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cqkghs1jQ4w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

since when has a member of queen ever been wrong

bar actually choosing to write this song XD

Tachi- said:
Partly i want my own island...you can buy these now-a-days, and then i can live my life how i want with freedom from government tax's

That's not going to happen any time soon, I'm afraid. There are only two places on earth (Bir Tawil on the Egypt-Sudan border and Marie Byrd Land in Antartica) that are not claimed by any other country. Neither of these places are islands and neither have their own banking systems (without which, avoiding taxation of some kind is more or less impossible). So if you think that's what's going to make you happy, I think you need to reconsider :p

CitizenGeek said:
Tachi- said:
Partly i want my own island...you can buy these now-a-days, and then i can live my life how i want with freedom from government tax's

That's not going to happen any time soon, I'm afraid. There are only two places on earth (Bir Tawil on the Egypt-Sudan border and Marie Byrd Land in Antartica) that are not claimed by any other country. Neither of these places are islands and neither have their own banking systems (without which, avoiding taxation of some kind is more or less impossible). So if you think that's what's going to make you happy, I think you need to reconsider :p
Looks like someone else had to reconsider, given that he made his homework =)

Mutsumi said:
Assemble your own marine-based military force & declare war on Sealand.
Sealand is not recognized as a nation. UK just thinks it's not important if the guy wants to play over there and let him. It's still in UK's territorial waters after all
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_waters

That's okay CG, i'm waiting for a sea volcano....that'll give me the island i want :) then it'll be a case of first person to claim it gets it :thumb:

Ryo Chan said:
learn terrorfomation and buy the moon while you can

Noone owns the moon though, so all you'd have to do is build a home there & you own the land you live on. Some scammers sell certificates for land on the moon though, but they don't own the moon so therefore it is a scam.

Back