Can anyone recommend anything similar to Nausicaa?

EatStatic

Completely Average High School Student
The film is one of my favorites, and I liked the manga even more, I was completely immersed in it and couldn't put it down! I've not read any manga for a while and I really fancy reading some more again, so is there anything similar to Nausicaa that is good? I imagine it's quite unique, but hopefully there is something out there!

Nausicaa is definitley a unique series, there really isn't much out there available in English to compare it to, there's the AKIRA Manga but looking at a recent post, that one is already accounted for I guess?

The only thing I can maybe think of also is Berserk, it is different in it's themes to Nausicaa but it does have a few similarities, but only minor aesthetical things such as they're both bloody and have wars, fighting and action and have interesting monsters. Of course Berserk is very graphic with it's depictions and it's not for the weak-hearted and it's a long series (been running since Early 90s/36 volumes out in English). But those who have read it consider it one of the most epic Dark Fantasy sagas ever.

Again, it's very hard to recommend anything like Nauiscaa or AKIRA due to how unique they are. I can't wait to pickup the Nauiscaa boxset in December :)

Ah I though that might be the case, that's a shame, and yep I've read Akira, one of my favourites :) have you read Domu? it's by the same guy, he wrote it before Akira, it still involves psychic powers and is very similar, I really enjoyed that one too :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I've just gone and ordered the first Volume of Berserk :D I've heard of that one before and I heard the anime is suppose to be good too?

I saw that boxset just the other day on amazon, one of those moments when I wish I didn't already own them all individually :p I'm guessing the manga itself is still identical?

Anything Miyazaki should please you then. Nadia and the secret of blue water may please you as well, but I guess that I find the title similar to nausicaa, hence my recommendation, even though the similarities end there....

Anyway, if you give us more to work on, the recommendations will be better.

You liked Akira and Domu as well? Have you tried Ghost in the Shell?

Hmm, I can see what you mean about the title :p I've liked most things Miyazaki has done so far though so I will give it a try sometime for sure, but is it a manga or just anime? I can only seem to find info on the anime version.

Yeah I liked them both and I have read Ghost in the Shell, I enjoyed that too :) You have just made me realise I have the 2 that follow it to read yet too, why I haven't got around to reading them yet I don't know! With that and the ones I bought I think I have enough to be reading now anyway thanks :) thought I suppose suggestions still wouldn't hurt, I can note them for the future :)

Ah I see, still I think I will give it a go when I have time for it, it also says he took some of his original concepts and put them into Future Boy Conan, which is another show I've got lined up to watch :)

And yeah the GITS TV series are great :) they were one of the first TV series I watched actually, and I was unsure of it for a while because I bought them thinking it'd be more of the film, which I loved, but not knowing any history behind it I was took back when it had cute talking robots in it, it was very confusing at first :p but yeah it grew on me and its now one of my favorites :)

MrLaserSharkKH said:
Again, it's very hard to recommend anything like Nauiscaa or AKIRA due to how unique they are. I can't wait to pickup the Nauiscaa boxset in December :)

I went and pre-ordered it today after looking into it, looks very nice, going to be in 2 hard back books, and for the reasonable price it's at now I thought why not since it's one of my favourites :)

It's not a manga, though there is one that's really just the anime retold on paper with the added ingredient of more fanservice, but I can highly recommend the light novels of Spice and Wolf, where there is none of that added ingredient, just the original story with only a few added manga like illustrations here and there. I find it just as compelling as Nausicaa is.

Hmm, this is a tricky one, for some reason Lone Wolf & Cub springs to mind

It's been a fair few years since I read it but it was pretty damn epic and I believe there are omnibuses on the horizon.

Rosencrantz said:
Hmm, this is a tricky one, for some reason Lone Wolf & Cub springs to mind

It's been a fair few years since I read it but it was pretty damn epic and I believe there are omnibuses on the horizon.

I have read all of Lone Wolf & Cub, a great read :)

Mohawk52 said:
Otaku-san said:
New World Pictures - Warriors of the Wind?

:D
You should be banned just for typing that. :lol:

Yep, agreed :p

Back