"But we're both girls!" - The Yuri Thread

Almost every time I watch a publisher do a licensing event hoping for some yuri I just end up being like "guess I'll add these other titles to the BL thread then". Like, give us something. I'm getting seriously jealous at this point, almost every single licensing announcement has multiple new BL series but we get a tiny handful of new yuri licenses a year across every publisher. 😭

Just wondering, whats the difference between the 3 volume Adachi manga

and the current 4 volume manga released by Yen Press? Looks like this ones still publishing

Just wondering, whats the difference between the 3 volume Adachi manga

and the current 4 volume manga released by Yen Press? Looks like this ones still publishing
From my understanding they're by different mangaka and the other one ended prematurely. The current one (Moke version) starts again and appears to be doing it properly. Couldn't tell you why the other one ended though, either it was something to do with the mangaka or maybe Adashima got more popular and was given a second chance at serialisation.

Oh apparently the old manga is a 4-koma as well. The new one isn't.
Can confirm the original was (mostly) 4-koma

Seems its likely the original manga was done when the Light Novel was originally published (2013-2016), Guess at the time this is all the author intended to write so the light novel was "finished" so the Manga finished where the Light Novel ended

While the second Manga seems to have started when the light novel restarted in 2019. (Either original Mangaka isn't doing Manga anymore, or they wanted to restart the whole thing to act as a buffer between new and old content, no idea)

Shame according to MAL the original Mangaka hasnt done any projects since as I rather enjoyed the artwork

I will buy the Yen Press volumes asa(financially)p

Anyone else really happy that the I'm in Love with the Villainess' anime actually adapted the big long discussion about queer identity? I was really nervous they'd water it down a bit but it seems to have adapted the manga version of that conversation perfectly and even expanded on it a little bit. They spent about half of episode three on it and really did it justice, I have absolute confidence that Platinum Vision will nail this entire series now.

Anyone else really happy that the I'm in Love with the Villainess' anime actually adapted the big long discussion about queer identity? I was really nervous they'd water it down a bit but it seems to have adapted the manga version of that conversation perfectly and even expanded on it a little bit. They spent about half of episode three on it and really did it justice, I have absolute confidence that Platinum Vision will nail this entire series now.
Yeah this kind of discussion seems pretty rare even for yuri series. Glad to see it adapted well for the anime. It's been a great adaptation so far.

Yeah this kind of discussion seems pretty rare even for yuri series. Glad to see it adapted well for the anime. It's been a great adaptation so far.
Even a lot of yuri series that do broach the subjects of queer identity and homophobia rarely use actual queer Japanese lingo when they're describing stuff. It's rare enough that even with the sheer volume of yuri I have read I can only think of a handful that are on par with ILTV for its discussion of sexual identity.

And of course ILTV has a lot of trans subject matter later so it's really concerned with queer identity in a broader sense too. It's definitely the best for it among series that are categorised as yuri. The only other ones I've read which do that are much more explicitly marketed as "LGBT manga".

I've caught up to date with ILTV today, good episode again I'm enjoying this series. I liked how they went from playing Chess in the garden to playing Poker at a proper table, but I'm afraid you don't play Poker with no stakes at all, I thought this was becoming Kakegurui for a minute with the influx of games!

I liked MagiRevo a lot as well, was hoping they'd make a new series of that sometime, but these adaptations rarely seem to get a 2nd season, which makes me sad.

I liked MagiRevo a lot as well, was hoping they'd make a new series of that sometime, but these adaptations rarely seem to get a 2nd season, which makes me sad.
Sometimes it's also a case of them waiting for enough material. I wouldn't be too worried about MagiRevo not getting a second season announced right away. To use some bigger examples Attack on Titan and Re:Zero were likely greenlit for a second season for a few years before their respective announcements.

MagiRevo seems to have had only 5 volumes out at the time it was broadcast and from what I can gather the series adapted 3 of them. There's 7 volumes now so there should be plenty of material. It being an isekai also helps. They love doing second seasons for even the lowest isekai slop.

Pile the isekai on my plate as long as it's not super basic I usually enjoy it! I am not generally a fan of the copy/paste isekai though.

Executioner and her way of Life is another yuri-ish isekai if anyone hasn't watched it yet. That had a pretty cool world building thing going on as well.

Pile the isekai on my plate as long as it's not super basic I usually enjoy it! I am not generally a fan of the copy/paste isekai though.

Executioner and her way of Life is another yuri-ish isekai if anyone hasn't watched it yet. That had a pretty cool world building thing going on as well.
I'm currently in the middle of Executioner. It's been a fun spin on isekai tropes so far. Akari also draws interesting comparisons with characters from Madoka Magica and Revue Starlight, specifically Homura and Nana's time travel shenanigans. Lesbians love trapping themselves in neverending time loops.

New promo for Whisper Me A Love Song. There's also been a production shakeup, with a change of director, addition of a second company for animation production, and a broadcast delay until April. Sounds like there may have been production problems. Hopefully there's time to pull it out of the fire if that's the case.

Claire may or may not have spent a little more than usual on getting a classic out of print yuri manga in English shipped from the US. The omnibuses were the only realistic way, the pricing on the older (nicer) individual volumes was ridiculous when you took shipping all of them into account.

Pray that they don't get damaged on the way here. They're looking pretty well preserved for their age, only a slight crease on one of them.
s-l1600.jpg

Claire may or may not have spent a little more than usual on getting a classic out of print yuri manga in English shipped from the US. The omnibuses were the only realistic way, the pricing on the older (nicer) individual volumes was ridiculous when you took shipping all of them into account.

Pray that they don't get damaged on the way here. They're looking pretty well preserved for their age, only a slight crease on one of them.
View attachment 32981

I have these too and feel a bit bad that I haven't read them as they've been on my shelf for years 😅

I have these too and feel a bit bad that I haven't read them as they've been on my shelf for years 😅
I've read it before I just wanna get some more slightly older stuff on my shelf. It's frustrating that of the few pre-2010 yuri we have published in English, pretty much all of them aren't in print any longer.

A lot of out of print yuri manga is frustrating because it's actually pretty cheap for some of them. But they're always in the US, and on ebay. Meaning the shipping cost is painful 😭

Back