British Comedy

Alice

Student Council President
Truly the greatest kind of comedy! List and talk about your favourites here.

I adore: Father Ted, The Office, Fawlty Towers, A Bit Of Fry And Laurie, Porridge, Blackadder, The Thin Blue Line, Men Behaving Badly, Bottom, Monty Python, Extras, Ricky Gervais, Jimmy Carr, Have I Got News For You, Gimme Gimme Gimme, 'Allo 'Allo... and probably a load more I'm missing out.

At the moment I'm working through my 3 series of Porridge on DVD. I'd love to see some other people who are still a fan of older British comedy!

Fletcher: We all have one thing in common here.
Godber: What's that, we're all criminals?
Fletcher: No, we all got caught.

The ones from your list that I really like are:
Blackadder, Men Behaving Badly and Gimme Gimme Gimme. But some of the others have their moments.

I also thought that Red Dwarf was very good.

'Allo 'Allo, classic. We watched this all the time, and we saw loads of them again on UkTV G2 i think, still brilliant, the jokes are still just as funny as they where the first time i saw the show. Monty Python as well, The Holy Grail is one i watch when i get the chance.

Steptoe & Son and Qi are shows I loves. Not gonna bother listing all that I like because well that would be silly.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Steptoe & Son and Qi are shows I loves. Not gonna bother listing all that I like because well that would be silly.

I love QI - Stephen Fry is fantastic. I just finished reading his autobiography recently, it was fascinating. :D

I haven't read it yet but I intend to. His documentary 'Stephen Fry: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive' I have seen though and thought it was fantastic.

I never really watched much besides: Black Adder, Faulty Towers :?

Can't think of any more right now >_<

IMO, I prefer American comedies.

Alice said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:

I love QI - Stephen Fry is fantastic. I just finished reading his autobiography recently, it was fascinating. :D

Totally agree QI is brilliantly funny, as well as shows like Buzzcocks and 8 out of 10 cats

I have stacks of comedy dvd's, my personal faves would be stuff like
Monty Python
Spaced
Black books
Porridge
Fawlty Towers
Black Adder

British Comedy really is the best, stuff like Red Dwarf and Father Ted can make me laugh however many times i watch it. Also British stand-ups are the best too, Lee Evans, Billy Connelly :)

pomtry said:
I loved father ted and I liked My hero aswell But I couldnt realy get into red dwarf.

Red Dwarf was brilliant, just the iea that the last dreggs of the human race are a hologram, a cat, a robot and the biggest slob ever.

Father Ted was brilliant, its too bad they never got a chance to make more, but it did go out on a high note (RIP Ted). As for My Hero I liked the early series but the new stuff just gets on my nerves

Repeating many already mentioned – but this would be my indispensable list:
(roughly in order of appearance I think)
Monty Python
Faulty Towers
Young Ones
Black Adder
Bit of Fry and Laurie
Alexei Sayle’s Stuff
Red Dwarf
Bottom
Father Ted
Black Books
Mighty Boosh

Honourable mention to QI (since its more a panel/game show than ‘comedy’, no less entertaining mind)
Respect almost anything Stephen Fry is involved in – must get hold of that auto-bio, never knew it existed!

No love for peep show?

one of the most funnyiest things on a dire friday night line up on channel 4 over the last few years!

I was brought up on Porridge (Ronnie Barker and Richard Beckinsale were simply superb), Fawlty Towers, Mony Python's Flying Circus and Blackadder so I still laugh myself silly at them. More recently I've been wowed by Spaced and Black Books, as well as some great stand up from Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey, Jack Dee, Jasper Carrott and Alan Davies.

My taste in anime is quite straight-faced but I still have a sense of humour!

pomtry said:
I like watching Teachers on trouble.

I wish My teachers where as cool as them :shock:

I loved the early series but it really felt less impressive when they changed the cast, just wasn't as funny IMHO

Back