Brief spotlight on... Makoto Shinkai

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Completing a impressive hat-trick of Brief spotlight on... articles, we have just posted James Seys-Llewellyn's look at the young but explosive career of Makoto Shinkai- an acclaimed anime director (and just as importantly, artist) who has in but four years given us such praised romantic science fiction movies like Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised In Our Early Days. [<a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/viewarticle.php?showarticle=41">Brief spotlight on... Makoto Shinkai</a>]

While the fact that Voices was made almost entirely by one person is an impressive feat I found it to be rather boring. The half hour seemed so much longer than it should have been. I honestly preferred the extra short film She and Her Cat on the DVD.

I thought that Voices was brilliantly realised. A very human outlook of a science fiction alien warfare theme. The characters were wonderfully protrayed and the overall animation was top-notch.

Makoto Shinkai seems to be very much a character-based director/animator where the central focus is on a micro scale view in the midst of much larger events.

Back