Book Review: The Anime Encyclopedia

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Earlier this week we published Sarah's thorough review of Titan Books's epic "<a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/article/43/the-anime-encyclopedia-a-guide-to-japanese-animation-since-1917">The Anime Encyclopedia: A Guide to Japanese Animation Since 1917</a>", a newly revised version authored as ever by Helen McCarthy and Jonathan Clements.

"Treasure trove of information for the dyed-in-the-wool otaku, useful for anime pub quizzes, essential for hard-pressed reviewers desperate for an elusive fact or two, or just simply a fun read for anime fans? The Anime Encyclopedia is all these things and more. Highly recommended."

Got bought this for my birthday, just waiting for it to arrive, I love all the little snippets of info these books have, and I can't wait to see the new info thats been included in it

I ordered a copy after reading the review. I didn't realise that any British book could be so in-depth about anime (which is why I didn't buy the previous copy. I don't know how they have the time to watch so much anime!

It will be a while before I get it, though. Stupid postal strike.

^ Thanks for the link to the anime comp, kinda hard to find anime comps. :D

Grr, my local Waterstones didn't have it in-store. Don't want to order it and risk getting a battered looking copy.

Aion said:
Grr, my local Waterstones didn't have it in-store. Don't want to order it and risk getting a battered looking copy.
My local Boraders always seems to have it if you have one local as well.

If you do go for online ordering then amazon are doing it for a tenner at the moment which is the best deal I can find.

The problem with Amazon is that you need to order something else with it to avoid P&P, not much cheaper than in-store prices then. Pretty sure Amazon also have a 4-6 week wait atm.

Its an excellent book, even if you pick up the slightly older edition rather than the brand new one. Remember, White cover, old edit. Black cover, new. :D

butch-cassidy said:
Its an excellent book, even if you pick up the slightly older edition rather than the brand new one. Remember, White cover, old edit. Black cover, new. :D

Wait, there are two different editions? That means it's pot luck when it comes to which you'll get by ordering online!

What are the differences?

The first one was released a few years back, 2001 I think. Its a distinctive white colour. The second was just released last year and has an extra 200 odd pages and is black. It covers alot of older series missed out and everything between the releases. Examples.

Old:
1880656647.jpg

New:
anime.jpg

Ah, didn't know there was a version that's 6 years older. Thanks for letting me know. ;) Do you happen to know if there's a hardback version?

Hard to pick someone to order from... I'd order from Amazon if not for them having the vague '4 to 6 weeks' delivery estimate. Kinda surprised it's still selling for so close to the RRP, thought it was only anime DVD's that don't drop down in price!

It came back into stock a few days after I posted what you quoted.

I had a look for something else to order with it to avoid P&P...I couldn't see anything. It comes to pretty much the same price as other stores with Amazon's P&P charges.

Back