Blu-Ray releases put you off buying DVD version?

Neferpitou

Stand User
If you are in a situation where you haven't got a HD TV yet and the Blu-Ray player to go with it. Does it put you off buying the DVD version, as it's likely in future you will have HD setup. So you may end up buying the same title twice. First on DVD then later on Blu-Ray.

Does that situation bother you? Enough to make you wait for an upgrade to Blu-Ray before buying a title?

Well, my family own a HD TV (okay, we rent it. Same thing), just not a Blu-Ray player. The only time I've considered getting a blu-ray player was with Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn. There was the Yu-Gi-Oh! 3D Bonds Beyond Time 3D Blu-ray, but then I'd need to get 3D stuff too.

To be honest though, getting a Blu-Ray isn't much of a deal for me; the players are far too expensive than what I can afford right now, and there are numerous DVD players in the house. I doubt I'll rebuy a series I already own on DVD though - even when I compare HD channels to non-HD channels, I can't justify paying £10 more for HD anyway.

The only time it's been somewhat annoying, is some limited edition sets that come with a DVD and a blu-ray, because I don't want a blu-ray disc lying around without getting any use.

I have a Blu-Ray player and HDTV and yes, I do tend not to buy DVDs any more, especially from Funimation as they keep doing Blu-Ray sets later. From other companies though, I still buy some DVDs.

Been in this exact situation, kind of. I was until a couple of months ago, an SD only person, but in March I got upgraded to HD.

Thing is my collection is half review discs and half my own purchases, so the spending issue isn't as big a deal. But the first thing I did was buy a wodge load of HD anime, those title that I want in the best possible quality.

Evangelion 1.11 (fixes the subtitle issues with the DVD so very worth it)
The Sky Crawlers
Appleseed Ex Machina
Ghost in the Shell/Ghost in the Shell Innocence
Summer Wars/The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Full Metal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa
Paprika
The Wings of Honneamise

As I said, I'm lucky in that I get a lot of review discs, and I'm not a packaging fiend, so I can live with silvers in CD cases, it's what's on the disc that is important. So the only titles I have paid more than once for are... Ghost in the Shell (3rd purchase, sound sync error, corrected DVD, and now Blu-ray). The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, I initially bought the two disc DVD, Paprika, The Wings of Honneamise, bought the R4 DVD.

I've found that a good Blu-ray of an anime film blows the DVD out of the water. For instance comparing the Blu-ray of The King of Eden to the DVD shows only a little difference. But comparing Evangelion 1.11 to the DVD is astounding, and that film got a very good DVD conversion as well.

I actually waited to get the Blu-ray of Ex Machina for the Japanese soundtrack, the DVD didn't have it, so I didn't buy that.

But I find that even with upgrading, I can't ditch the DVDs in many cases. I need Ghost in the Shell because it's better than the Blu-ray. The Blu-ray is only good for 2.0, the original version on it sucks. TGWLTT only has the extras on the DVD. I can probably retire my Paprika and FMA DVDs though.

Anyway, my limited exposure to hi-def anime so far has decided me that Blu-ray for movies and DVD for TV series is the way to go when it comes to my own money. Especially with Manga the sole arbiter of Blu-rays in the UK apparently, and having so much trouble shifting series in that format.

As for review discs, I'll review whatever I get, as always.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I have one HD TV, one Blu ray player, 2 SD TVs, 2 DVD Players, 2 PCs, 2 DVD-Roms. I can't always use the HD TV, so I guess I won't ditch the DVDs just yet, just in case.

I dont have a blu-ray player or HD televison or anything like that and i dont really care,i,m happy with regular dvds,i still even watch old vhs tapes if i have to,the only time i,ll make the jump to blu-ray is when eventually regular dvds come to and end and i have no other option.

if there is a bluray version out the same time as a dvd release i'll buy the bluray, but it's not like i'm going to wait a year after the release just to buy a bluray ala k-on

if i can only get a the blue ray dvd and not just a regular dvd then il get the blue ray but if i had a choice il go with the regular dvds cause there cheaper. to be honest id like blue rays but some of them are like £5 - 10 extra.

animefreak17 said:
if i can only get a the blue ray dvd and not just a regular dvd then il get the blue ray but if i had a choice il go woth the regular dvds cause there cheaper
Blurays are not dvds in any sence. Though players can play dvds as well.

Only with a few of the Japanese BDs putting me off USA dvds.
Everything I want on BD so far has been Japan only. What with them being 10x the price I'm loathe to spend money on the dvd and save it instead.

Lawrence said:
I've only watched one Hi-def anime title so far, Strike witches, which wasn't even native HD, it's an upscale. However I was still impressed with the superior sounds quality and better image quality compared to the DVD.

Though what really convinced me BD was the way forward, was re-watching Inglorious Basterds. The film was pretty much made to be watched on a good TV set and the difference between the HD and SD video is almost mind blowing.

So I'm pretty convinced now that BD is the future of home media now and I'll certainly be buying more anime on BD in the future.

when did u watch a HD SW? the only set out is the japanese bluray for £200 odd

Lawrence said:
Ryo Chan said:
Lawrence said:
I've only watched one Hi-def anime title so far, Strike witches, which wasn't even native HD, it's an upscale. However I was still impressed with the superior sounds quality and better image quality compared to the DVD.

Though what really convinced me BD was the way forward, was re-watching Inglorious Basterds. The film was pretty much made to be watched on a good TV set and the difference between the HD and SD video is almost mind blowing.

So I'm pretty convinced now that BD is the future of home media now and I'll certainly be buying more anime on BD in the future.

when did u watch a HD SW? the only set out is the japanese bluray for £200 odd

I'd say check the "Goods you've received - PHOTOS EDITION" thread but I deleted the image from my dropbox, so it no longer exists.

But yeah, you've hit the nail on the head Ryo, t'is exactly what I have.

well then yeah u shoulda checked the box urself cause SW was upscale, it's SW 2 that was made for bluray :D

oh and u've far too much money, gimme some

I tend to go for the blu-ray version if both are available but I have yet to stop buying dvds, but some shows I have put off buying in the hope of a blu-ray release though (I very nearly caved in and bought the Spice & Wolf season 1 dvd set recently but then saw a blu-ray set due in August).

If a blu-ray is announced and then removed (Strike Witches, Guin Saga) then I put the shows on hold until the blu-rays on back on the release schedule.

I'm trying to work out whether its more advantageous buying them or buying the BD + BD 3D sets when available. I don't own a 3D TV, nor know a time when I will, but... futureproofing. :p

I have a playstation and a HD-TV so I don't have much issues, but I do hesitate when buying a DVD only series where I could buy it in the US in the near future on blu-ray but I don't own a region free blu-ray player

there are a few exceptions like I i will be buying k-on for example in dvd sets but will buy the blu-ray set anyway later on.

I left it to long so the one on tesco and ebay is no longer there if anyone knows where I can one under £200 then I would be grateful.

I don't have the Evangelion movies, and I'll hold off on getting the Eden of the East movies because of this. Plan on getting a PS3 soon enough though, so problem solved (my monitor is 1080p / HDMI socket, so it'll be worth it).

Know what? I'll stick to DVDs until I one day can afford a Blu-ray player and the much more expensive blu-ray discs. On my current uncertain career path (via several more years of full-time studying), that will be in maybe ten years or so.

This is the main reason I have bought so little anime over the past six months to a year. Older DVD transfers look terrible on an HDTV; I almost wish I'd kept my ancient CRT monstrosity to watch them on.

Moribito and three more volumes of FMA: Brotherhood on BD are currently winging their way to me from the US though.

Back