Blade Runner re-released on DVD...at last

Martin

Death Scythe
I know this film is as old as I am but it's still a classic piece of cinema. IMO Harrison Ford's finest performance and with a brilliantly retro soundtrack, I've always thought of it as the original gritty cyberpunk sci-fi movie.

And it's out on DVD again! play.com are listing two different versions, one of which is out in October, that look extremely tempting. I can't wait! :D

Tell me about it, about time. i was trying to find this for my mum a few months back and i couldn't find it anywhere, not in the shops or any website i looked on, i ended up getting it second hand off ebay, now we will be able to get it new :)

Glad to see that the whole Blade Runner DVD release farce is coming to an end. I'll probably be buying the version with the three different cuts. I've only ever seen the movie through a crappy pirated VCD a friend gave to me and I want to see it properly :)

I remember trying to order this for Christmas a few years back and being puzzled that no DVDs were out. Great news, even if I'm not sure if I like the DC ending.

Can't wait for the theactrial showing of the final cut!!! my mum's gonna bring me back the remastered dvd when she goes to america cos i't already out there

Which version is the one without the happy ending and the narration? Because i'll be getting that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why on earth would you do that? The Director's Cut will be on the Final Cut, and there are no extra features or anything worth having from the currently available release. Not that it's my place to tell you where you shouldn't throw your money, but if you MUST waste it, couldn't you throw some my way?

Aren't they releasing a boxset later down the line with all the different cuts?

By the way, I've never seen Blade Runner. Is that bad (considering the type of fiction I like)?

Hovis! said:
Aren't they releasing a boxset later down the line with all the different cuts?

By the way, I've never seen Blade Runner. Is that bad (considering the type of fiction I like)?
The box set is the Final Cut I believe, which will no doubt be more expensive but you get every available version and all the different endings in one package, which is probably what Kupoartist is getting at.

It's not surprising you haven't seen it before though, since it's been discontinued on DVD for some time now. Quite strange really, considering it's such a classic. In the meantime, you might want to read the novel on which it's based, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K Dick. An excellent read. :)

ConcreteBadger said:
The box set is the Final Cut I believe, which will no doubt be more expensive but you get every available version and all the different endings in one package, which is probably what Kupoartist is getting at.

It's not surprising you haven't seen it before though, since it's been discontinued on DVD for some time now. Quite strange really, considering it's such a classic. In the meantime, you might want to read the novel on which it's based, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K Dick. An excellent read. :)

Ah, I see. Well, I'll probably buy it because Philip K Dick based material and Ridley Scott are two great combinations, and I haven't heard a bad thing said about this film (or the book its based on).

Thanks for the feedback.

Just got the Final Cut Ultimate Collector's Edition from the US and being this time of year and busy at the royal mail I escaped the duty so saved about £12-14 there so it worked out about £30. It has about 5 different cuts so will be working my way through them. Always wanted the original back after my video was stolen when my mates house was broken into at Uni. Only ever able to get the directors cut for years, which sort of annoyed me as I did not like the feel of it by removing the opening voice over it turned it from a futuristic detective noir into just a scfi.

You should have got the UK Tin. It's really nice looking and has all the different cuts of the movie. It also only cost half the price of what you paid for it.

Might have to get one of those so I can put it on the shelf. The one I got was the US one in the briefcase with the model unicorn and spinner which I don't think I have seen with any of the UK releases.

The UK version is exactly the same as the US release except that it doesn't come in the huge briefcase thing and it doesn't have the toys. Instead of the briefcase it's packaged in a nice looking tin which is much easier to store.

Which is why I will probably end up with both as it is my favourite film it won't be a hardship to have two copies just in case. Although I am not sure if the actual tin one is as cheap as you make out where did you see it as I looked on Play.

Back