Black Lagoon (To buy or not to buy)

LukasROAR

Straw Hat Pirate
It's my Birthday Friday and i'm old (21) lol
A friend of mine took me to HMV and just said pick any anime you want and i'll get it ya for your Birthday. I couldn't pick there and then i'm too indecisive so i've come here for recomendations and for you to hopefully help me choose.
Here's the titles that really interested me.

Black Lagoon - I've been recomended this several time but have no idea what it's about.

Speed Grapher - I really liked the look of the front cover and art.

A Place promised in Our Early Days - I don't know exactly why but i liked the look of this one.

Ergo Proxy - Another one that has intrigued me for a while and i really like the look of the animation.

Any help is appreciated, just tell me if any of these titles are truly atrocious and not worth my money lol

The Place Promised in Our Early Days. It's a great film; one of the best I've seen, be it anime or live-action.

Ergo Proxy is great, too, but if you choose to get it instead, don't expect to get very far on the first 4 episodes (unless you request more than just vol. 1, but of course you can complete the series yourself).

I must agree on The Place Promised...

One of my favourite films too. It was topped by Shinkai's [director] latest film 5 Centimeters Per Second which is my favourite film. Full stop.

The Place Promised is the one I'd recommend. It's a nostalgic, evocative film with some of the most impressive visuals (the use of light in particular) that I've ever seen.

Black Lagoon and Ergo Proxy are also good. I haven't seen enough of Speed Grapher to comment.

Thanks for your help guys, think i'm now fully leaning towards 'The Place Promised...' Be easier to get one highly recommended film than just one volume of a recommended series. Unless I buy box sets online.

I'm in the distinct minority on this one, but Place Promised to me was oretty to look at, but had a far too slow a pace with unappealing characters. I tried to like it but amid all the hype I just didn't 'get' it. Sorry. :(

As for the others. Speed Grapher was cool with its seedy content, but does have a few episodes that sag. Overall it's pretty good though. Only seen volume 1 of Ergo Proxy but it was pretty damn cool. Not seen Black Lagoon, but there is a lot of positive feedback on that one so you might want to look more into that as well.

In your place, I'd probably go for Place Promised anyway as it's a one-off, so it won't be the end of the world if you don't fancy it. After that I'd go and check out the buy on get one free deals on either sendit.com or play.com. (both Speed Grapher and Ergo Proxy are in this offer)

Hmm... guess I recommend you buy everything then! :lol:

Black lagoon is a must buy, there should be no question over whether or not to buy it, just go get it you will not be disappointed in any way

McIcy said:
Black lagoon is a must buy, there should be no question over whether or not to buy it, just go get it you will not be disappointed in any way

You mean other than the total lack of overall plot? :p

Is 'is' a good watch though.

Ushio said:
I'm in the distinct minority on this one, but Place Promised to me was oretty to look at, but had a far too slow a pace with unappealing characters. I tried to like it but amid all the hype I just didn't 'get' it. Sorry. :(
I'm another one. I felt both Voices and Places Promised were although visually quite good confused with unneeded scifi elements that added little to nothing to the connection between the two people. Even though Voces was a lot shorter than Places Promised it still came across as being long winded and quite frankly boring. Unlike Haibane Renmei which also captures beautiful atmophere and images through it's storytelling for me Shinkai didn't manage to sucsessfully keep me captivated even for the length of a 20 minute movie.

For a more effective and real story about human emotions and connections? Go for Haibane Renmei. style and substance rolled into one.

Tasker said:
You mean other than the total lack of overall plot? :p

I never found that to be an issue with the series. It's true that there's no literal plot, however the level of character development more than makes up for that.

Wildcard said:
I never found that to be an issue with the series. It's true that there's no literal plot, however the level of character development more than makes up for that.
Character development doesn't really mean much when 90% of the characters aren't that interesting. Well that's how I felt about it anyway.

Sy said:
Wildcard said:
Character development doesn't really mean much when 90% of the characters aren't that interesting. Well that's how I felt about it anyway.

Fair enough, I'll be boring and say it's subjective. The characters make or break the show, if you don't find the characters interesting, you won't like the show.

Back