Birmingham MCM Expo news

So, I'm guessing that MangaUK and Toei have been impressed with the sales of One Piece if they've not only licensed Strong World, but everything else.

I'll definitely be picking up the Ghost in the Shell blu-ray. I held off on getting 2.0 due to the negative comments about it, so this might be the best time to drop.

Just Passing Through said:
bakum4tsu said:
What about MVM? I thought they were gonna say something too.... not to mention AL but since Andrew is, aparently, in Japan...

I think MVM blew their Blu-ray wad a couple of weeks ago...

Indeed, but you never know, I am still waiting for Another on BD xD

Joshawott said:
So, I'm guessing that MangaUK and Toei have been impressed with the sales of One Piece if they've not only licensed Strong World, but everything else.

I'll definitely be picking up the Ghost in the Shell blu-ray. I held off on getting 2.0 due to the negative comments about it, so this might be the best time to drop.

Actually I saw 2.0, 2 days agora and I did like it a lot. Cant really see anything bad in it. I have bought the BD version including Innocence too and, to my surprise, the 2.0 disc includes the original GITS movie too but I think its not on BD quality for sure. It must be dvd cause it was really bad but hey, at least I could compare right away and that 2.0 blew my mind visually. xD Basically, I am happy with 2.0 and wont buy that steelbook for sure. ;)

Dannielle said:
- First announcement of the day: One Piece - Strong World. This tenth One Piece movie will be released on June 30th on DVD and Blu-Ray.
- The first nine One Piece films will also be coming to the UK on DVD. The eighth One Piece movie will be dubbed, all other films will be subtitle-only.
- Ghost in the Shell: Arise has been licensed for a UK release. More details in the future.
- The original Ghost in the Shell film will be released as a Blu-Ray Steelbook Edition.
- Attack on Titan Part 1 - release date is September 15th on DVD, Blu-Ray and Collector's Edition.
- The Attack on Titan Part 1 Collector's Edition will include a bonus DVD with over 100 minutes of extras, 24-page booklet and a special box. No confirmation of pricing for the Attack on Titan Part 1 Collector's Edition as yet - it will be competitively priced though.
- Evangelion 3.33 is currently slated for an August release as it stands.
- No confirmed date for Psycho-Pass' UK release yet - it'll definitely be before the end of the year.
- Confirmation that as it stands, there will be no complete series collection for Sword Art Online at the request of the licensor.

credit: https://twitter.com/ukanime

Good news on the One Piece films, though I already have Strong World on blu ray.

Also good news about Arise, though far from unexpected.

Will only get the GiTS steelbook if it's a different version than the first blu ray.

Glad Attack on Titan has finally got a release date, should be getting the collectors edition as it appears the US version is going to be hard to get over here.

I picked up Ghost in the Shell 2.0 on DVD at one of the London MCM Expos for £1. Only flicked through it but there was some very distracting poor CGI. It's the Star Wars Special Edition all over again! It'll be good to get a proper native HD version of the original GitS. While I don't rate it as high as S.A.C., I still like it.

The extras DVD thing with Titan still bugs me. Thinking back Manga said themselves the on-disc content would be identical on the BD last month, though the DVD would be different (because they're presumably authoring it themselves). Wolf Children's CE had a similar "bonus extras DVD" that was exclusive to the collector's edition, but all it was a DVD duplicate of the on-disc features that were already on the BD. Could this be what's happening here? In that case, it would just be the DVD edition that would be barebones.

robot monkey said:
Will only get the GiTS steelbook if it's a different version than the first blu ray.
If you're talking about GiTS 2.0 then yes, it is different. It has a different OST and doesn't have all the CG BS.
If you're talking about the upscale on the 2.0 disc then there is a massive difference. I did post a few screens from the first few minutes as an example a while back, albeit maybe not the best example. The colours of the upscale on the 2.0 BD - hell the quality of the thing in general was awful.

While I’m not a fan of One Piece (I don’t have anything against it, but the length is very of putting), I’m very interested in checking out Movie 6, since that one was directed by Mamoru Hosoda, so it should be interesting.

Can’t wait for that GITS steel book tho, was just about to order the Honneamise blu ray for £50, very glad since now I can own a watchable copy o the original unmolested GITS without having to pay an arm and a leg. I wonder what the art for the steel book will be though? I’d like it to be the original theatrical poster with Makoto and the cables on a white background, I think it would be pretty effective.

My overall opinion on/of the weekend is that I find the amount of announcements rather disappointing. What are they planning to release this summer?!
Well, for my wallet it's all fine (kind of), but it feels odd that we don't know really "anything" about Q3, and in five/six weeks from here the listings for Q3 are supposed to go live according to a past Manga UK Podcast.

Dannielle said:
- First announcement of the day: One Piece - Strong World. This tenth One Piece movie will be released on June 30th on DVD and Blu-Ray.
- The first nine One Piece films will also be coming to the UK on DVD. The eighth One Piece movie will be dubbed, all other films will be subtitle-only.
I don't give a nickel about One Piece personally, but I think it is a good thing it is licensed and will be released over in the UK.
I am not too confident about the sub-only movies performing well though, but I wish MangaUK the best of luck with this acquisition.

Dannielle said:
- Ghost in the Shell: Arise has been licensed for a UK release. More details in the future.
- The original Ghost in the Shell film will be released as a Blu-Ray Steelbook Edition.
Funimation already stated they are going to give ARISE the "full" treatment later. I think that's what Manga (Entertainment UK, of course) will be waiting for, which could as well mean that Ghost in the Shell ARISE won't be a 2014 release as I don't really expect the "Mardock Scramble" treatment by Funimation given they are doing the imports.
However. It's a good thing MangaUK announced it before the "full" treatment release by Funimation happens.

Am I excited for ARISE and/or the steelbook? As for the original movie(s) it's in the same boat as Redline, Akira, Ninja Scroll and some other anime movies I just can't figure out whether they are worth watching or buying at all. As for ARISE as things stand I will be buying the new iteration at some point, hoping I can afford it. And then there's the "(culle de) SAC" series I haven't figured out yet how I'll be watching that. I cannot afford the Japanese release, that's for sure. I might resort on "that place everybody knows".

Dannielle said:
- Attack on Titan Part 1 - release date is September 15th on DVD, Blu-Ray and Collector's Edition.
- The Attack on Titan Part 1 Collector's Edition will include a bonus DVD with over 100 minutes of extras, 24-page booklet and a special box. No confirmation of pricing for the Attack on Titan Part 1 Collector's Edition as yet - it will be competitively priced though.
Competitively priced? Compared to what? Cookies?!
Really, either Manga are aware of a certain MVM or Anime Ltd release that might steal everybody's attention (Toradora much?) or this declaration doesn't make sense to me.
Isn't "we're releasing everything cheap, but even though authoring/production costs have dropped massively we're not dropping the SRP of Blu-Ray to be equal to DVD" their business model?

And just like Ghost in the Shell I don't know yet what I'll do with Attack on Titan, a classmate of mine has been bugging me quite a bit that I "should watch it now".
Getting the collector's edition? Maybe. Can't confirm nor deny. It'll depend on the artbox. If it's a flimsy thingy as with FMA:B I might not bother at all and wait for the complete collection, if not longer.
Popular properties often get lower priority from me for a few reasons. So yeah... We'll see what happens. ^_^

Dannielle said:
- Evangelion 3.33 is currently slated for an August release as it stands.
So, when are bets being taken for the next delay? :D

I AM going to get Evangelion 3.33 LE for sure, I hope on the day of release but it might be some time after depending on other releases that month;period. (I hope "Wolf Children LE" stays available for a while)
The delays are really annoying though seeing this was meant to be a 2013 release from what I remember from a past Manga UK Podcast.
If this is some mirror for what we can expect for the release date of Evangelion 4.44 we might not see the finale released onto BD until Winter 2017... That is a long wait.

Dannielle said:
- No confirmed date for Psycho-Pass' UK release yet - it'll definitely be before the end of the year.
Well... So I'll be getting it before the end of the decade, I presume. (It's not a lie, assuming Manga doesn't lose the licence before 2018)

Dannielle said:
- Confirmation that as it stands, there will be no complete series collection for Sword Art Online at the request of the licensor.
*scratches head* Well, I am NOT spending big money on this POPULAR franchise's first season's flawed release method. I might have given in to 2 volumes or an artbox, but like this it's a big no-go! Really, if season 2 also has 4 volumes and the OVA gets a seperate BD release that'd mean it'd take in 9 "slots" on my shelf, which is a lot of space, too much.
Way too much for the amount of episodes versus looks (banner) versus format (singles). (Sorry Jerome!)

This release of Sword Art Online is most definitely not worth £70, let alone £140/£155 if season 2+OVA get the same treatment.

And I know that "back in the days" everything got released like that, but "back in the days" basically everything got an artbox to hold all parts as well as far as I'm aware.

*cough* /*takes wallet*/ *start music* Licensor of SAO, this is for you: "YOU CAN'T TOUCH THIS" *waves 50 euros at the screen* =P

Dannielle said:
-No confirmation of pricing for the Attack on Titan Part 1 Collector's Edition as yet - it will be competitively priced though.
Agent-347 said:
Competitively priced? Compared to what? Cookies?!

I understood it as i's going to be cheaper than the US/AUS Collectors Edition.

Mangaranga said:
robot monkey said:
If you're talking about GiTS 2.0 then yes, it is different. It has a different OST and doesn't have all the CG BS.
If you're talking about the upscale on the 2.0 disc then there is a massive difference. I did post a few screens from the first few minutes as an example a while back, albeit maybe not the best example. The colours of the upscale on the 2.0 BD - hell the quality of the thing in general was awful.

Thanks for that info. I suppose I was referring to both of them.

Back