Best genre for games

Vash said:
Why does everyone one like these RPG's.

Simple: RPGs are interactive stories. It's like watching a film you have control over, even if the storylines and basic gameplay are somewhat linear. In controlling a story's character you tend to bond with him or her more, wanting to find out what happens to them, and consequently make the game more enjoyable.

It's better than running around blasting everything in sight for EVERY SINGLE LEVEL anyway... :wink:

Anyone ever hear of this brilliant, free RPG called Progress Quest? It's basically just a streamlined version of every RPG you've ever played, and with better gameplay too.

edit:
Melainy said:
Simple: RPGs are interactive stories.
Forgive me, but isn't every single game an "interactive story" these days? The only differences between RPGs and other genres are:

a) they're longer thanks to completely un-story-related sidequests and mini-games
b) they're about 40 times less interactive (with some notable exceptions that don't begin with "Final" and end with "Fantasy"). Almost all RPGs make me despair. You're better off reading a book. Turning pages is about the same level of interactivity, and the story contained within a book is far more likely to actually be worth reading.

Action RPGs tend to provide the best exceptions, but the action element always feels half-arsed and you'd be better off playing a proper action-adventure game. After all, Character development in most RPGs is only marginally different from collecting weapons, health and armor in action games.

kupoartist said:
Melainy said:
Simple: RPGs are interactive stories.
Forgive me, but isn't every single game an "interactive story" these days? The only differences between RPGs and other genres are:

a) they're longer thanks to completely un-story-related sidequests and mini-games
b) they're about 40 times less interactive (with some notable exceptions that don't begin with "Final" and end with "Fantasy"). Almost all RPGs make me despair. You're better off reading a book. Turning pages is about the same level of interactivity, and the story contained within a book is far more likely to actually be worth reading.

A fair point, however, there must be some element of RPGs that differs from other genres, otherwise they'd be slotted into the "action/adventure" category. There's an element of depth of character to RPGs that make them more story-based than your average shoot-em-up.

By allowing a certain amount of customisation in terms of skills and armour and hit points etc, it's a wonderful sense of achievement when you get to the final level or boss knowing you've carried this character all the way through the game. Even though this may be a fairly bizarre way of thinking (it's lots of little pixels for crying out loud!) in terms of the game's plotline you've been a distinct part of how the story has moved along, and that, I think, is what draws me to play them.

Having said that, I agree with you that the typical RPG game has been done to death so much so that the variety of characters is the only thing that appeals.

First person RPGs, like the puzzle games such as Myst and Lighthouse (hardest game in the world!), are so often overlooked, but are by far the most creative and interactive games I've ever played, and yet hardly anybody has ever heard of them. It's a shame really - games that make you think are giving way to games of skill.

Melainy said:
and yet hardly anybody has ever heard of them. It's a shame really
Actually, I was always under the impression that the Myst series was among the most widely known PC games series. Though I wasn't under the impression that it was an RPG, just an "Adventure" game. Still, genres are pretty fluid like that. The best games are those which don't stick to genres at all (the world needs more FPS-Adventure-RPGs).

Chipping in a bit late here, best game genre is RPG of course!.

On the subject of Myst, I think with the exception of the Sims its one of the biggest selling PC games ever. Id call it an "adventure" game and imho its one of the crappest ones in exsistance.

Mangaminx said:
On the subject of Myst, I think with the exception of the Sims its one of the biggest selling PC games ever. Id call it an "adventure" game and imho its one of the crappest ones in exsistance.

Ah, now I'm not going to let you get away with that! Myst is a sensational game! Not only is it very very difficult, but the sheer genius of it is that you can complete it in 3 years or 3 minutes! Plus ABSOLUTELY NOBODY dies! Fabulous! :wink:

Melainy said:
Mangaminx said:

Ah, now I'm not going to let you get away with that! Myst is a sensational game! Not only is it very very difficult, but the sheer genius of it is that you can complete it in 3 years or 3 minutes! Plus ABSOLUTELY NOBODY dies! Fabulous! :wink:

To be fair all I can remember about Myst is randomely clicking the screen and wondering what was going ok, so perhaps that is where my low opinion comes from. I've never been good at adventure games! :cry:

neptune2venus said:
Mangaminx said:
Myst is randomely clicking the screen and wondering what was going ok

Isn't Myst that supremely boring title, with FMV/CG spliced excuse for a 'game' which was more like a task than adventuring? :p

Well, it appears I'm outnumbered here! Ah well. I loved Myst. And seeing as it was the best selling game of all time before The Sims, I'm sure a few others would agree with me :wink:

All i have to say bout gaming genre is massively multiplayer or just plain big games like Battlefield 2 are great, a perfect example is WoW theres just so much to do you can never completely finish it unless you stop of course. And BF2 has that lovely squad system that i think any serious large FPS should incorporate into itself.

WOW is one of those MMORPG's...it has no end as it is updated monthy or even weekly sometimes. Though mind you i think it would be better if the maximum level was higher than i seen it. Battlefield 2, i only heard some of that, but its good i think....I don't like the racing genre that much..though there is a couple i would play happily.

I am an RPG gamer...so...I am going to say RPG's

No other genre has character development and story scripts like it...

Turn based or otherwise...i think RPGs are the greatest

Im just gonna add this here too, because i haven't found a thread yet (I'm lazy) Any sort of Sport/Racing game is a little lame, the mechanics are always going to be the same...

Back