Best Dub?

The Studio ghibli dubs aren't that bad, I rarely watch dubs but two of my faves are The Cat Returns as it has Tim Curry in it and Porco Russo as the main characters voice fits perfectly

Fellistowe said:
I've quite liked the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex dubs personally, I'm sure some might disagree :)
I like the dubs to a point. Compared to the original Japanese they can get rather monotonous but still very watchable. On the other hand I thought the Solid State Society dub sounded half arsed, lazy and rather rushed which disappointed me a little because when I went back to watch it in English I just couldn't get into it.

As for good dubs, Cowboy Bebop both and the movie have one of the best dubs out there. Wolf's Rain and KARAS are pretty high up for me as well.

I would say that most FUNimation series have good dubs. Of course there are exceptions such as Negima *although I don't like the dub simply because of Negi's terrible British accent which just makes me want gouge my ears out with a screwdriver*. Mostly they get it right though.
As WTFDaveMustaine said Cowboy Bebop has a good dub and in my opinion so does Outlaw star. I also thought Akira's 2001 dub was pretty decent *although I know for a fact loads of people would disagree with me".
Basically it would be easier on a series by series basis. Just name a series and if I’ve seen it I should be able to tell you.

Dubs to seroiusly avoid though are pretty much anything by Viz Media and Anime works. ADV's dubs are touch and go they got FMP, RahXephon and D.N.Angel right but they screwed others like Chrono Crusade and Elfen Lied >_>

Sakimori said:
*although I don't like the dub simply because of Negi's terrible British accent which just makes me want gouge my ears out with a screwdriver*.

Try mentally adding a welsh accent. Gives me the giggles every time...

Sakimori said:
I also thought Akira's 2001 dub was pretty decent *although I know for a fact loads of people would disagree with me".
No I agree, in fact I would go so far to say it was excellent. I don't see how people who listen to the old dub, which I thought was god awful, and say the new one is bad. Must be nostalgia talking.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Sakimori said:
I also thought Akira's 2001 dub was pretty decent *although I know for a fact loads of people would disagree with me".
No I agree, in fact I would go so far to say it was excellent. I don't see how people who listen to the old dub, which I thought was god awful, and say the new one is bad. Must be nostalgia talking.

Im not sure what DUB I have but its excellent.

megagold5 said:
Full Metal Panic has a very good dub in my opinion...

I don't know the main character doesn't sound right in the dubs, he comes off as a moany and plain and like he should be on a beach with a surf board, whereas he should sound like he spent most of his life fighting in wars

Most dubs these days are very, very good. Honestly, I've yet to come across a bad dub. Some of my favorite dubs are Fullmetal Alchemist (which is a really, really outstanding dub), Neon Genesis Evangelion, Heat Guy J and, of course, Cowboy Bebop.

Gary the Flying Trollop said:
Sakimori said:

I'm not quite sure what Akira I have - I got the Manga Ent. double disc edition (that came in a cardboard box thing) - is that the one with the 2001 dub?

CitizenGeek said:
I'm not quite sure what Akira I have - I got the Manga Ent. double disc edition (that came in a cardboard box thing) - is that the one with the 2001 dub?

You mean the essentials collections? If so, That has both dubs. The '01 re-mastered dub on the first disk. The original dub un-mastered one on the second disk.

In my opinion, my favourite dubs are:

Cowboy Bebop (both series and movie)
Wolf's Rain
Full Metal Panic
Fullmetal Alchemist
Fruits Basket
Outlaw Star
Hellsing
Akira (2001 dub)

CitizenGeek said:

I own it too. The first disk is the new dub, the second was the old dub.

I don't understand why people don't like the new dub of Akira as opposed to the old one.

For one, the acting was much more believable than the old one and it remained closer to the original script.

The acting in the old one was so tacky and some of the ways that the characters say their lines comes off as hilarious.

Good dubs, well i would go with Full Metal Panic, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, erm GitS: SAC is good but not my favourite. I'm sure some of the series i have may have good dubs, its just that i tend to watch them in subs.

Best Dubs;

Tenchi Muyo!
Cowboy Bebop
New Dominion Tank Police
Black Lagoon
Zipang

Also any of the Ghibli/Disney dubs

CitizenGeek said:
Nyu said:
New Dominion Tank Police

Tell me you're not serious? NDTP had a pretty bad dub IMO.

In my opinion it is a brilliant dub, taking in mind its a 14 year old show when it was redone. The main characters voices fit, they put the right amount of emotion into it and it just works in my eyes. Some of the background characters can be a bit hit and miss but the main dub cast was great.

Also i missed one out from my original list. Macross Plus has a bloody great dub aswell.

Back