Berserk

The man's work had a huge impact on my life. He changed the way I approached my own fiction writing and I think his work is among the best ever produced in the medium. I'm definitely going to have a write a piece on him and his work for Animehead's Retroworld. Even if only to put all of my thoughts in order.

Last edited:
Manga artists and fans pay tribute to Kentaro Miura

George Morikawa
(Author of Hajime no Ippo, who also employed Miura as an assistant)
“This is an image of Takamura, which Kentaro Miura drew for me.
m8Ndm8t.jpg
It's now making me feel quite sentimental.
Let me tell you a memory I have of Kentaro.

When I was creating my first weekly series, I was in trouble because I had no staff. That's when Kentaro kindly came to help me.
He was just 18 years old and I was only 19.
He was just a student from the art department of a certain university, coming to me when just a sketchbook under his arm.

I didn't know how good he was at drawing, so I showed him a drawing I had done and asked him to copy it.
I was astonished at the result.
His talent far outweighed his age.
After just a handful of sketches, I was already drawn to him.
We were still quite young, so we paused to discuss manga.

I asked him to show me his sketchbook, which I had been deeply curious about. When I peered inside, I was even more astonished. I felt goosebumps.

There was a fairy, an insignia, and a warrior with a huge sword. Those drawings later became Puck and Guts.
I was overwhelmed by the drawing done in a thick pencil.
"What is this!?" I exclaimed!
He responded "It's just something I have in my head. I'd like to draw it after I get a bit more skill."
I wondered how long he had been working on it.
Berserk was already there.

Months passed, and Hajime no Ippo started serialization.
Around the same time, Berserk had started.
I had heard some stories about the difficulties Kentaro had faced.
But I was convinced...

I was sure that a hugely popular manga had begun.
This was the series that Kentaro had judged himself to have gained enough skill to draw and had launched it with full confidence.
I was sure that the world would be as astonished as I was.
And it was.
He used every bit of his being to express his otherworldly drawing skills in every panel.
I have nothing but respect for the energy that went into every chapter.

This is the end of the story.
That was the only time I really got to know him, but I heard that he cared about me.
I am proud to have the honor of his company.

I'm sorry Kentaro-kun, I talked without permission.
Someday, I'll be there to read the final chapter."

Well the sad news has got me back to reading Berserk. I don’t think I helped myself by watching the 97 series, then the films then reading the manga... thats 3 times I got the Golden Age Arc in a short space of time. I kinda killed it a little so took a break. Anyway I’ve just got to the Wyald fight and man that was intense. Love how he creates tension and how he illustrates the action. To do that in images and seriously great ones at that Is so impressive. Makes me even sadder to know we’ll never see is vision ended. Playing the Gutz theme at the time of writing this isn’t helping but god I love it.

I can’t remember if I said this I here but I think the only way to end the story now is for someone to do it in anime form and basically come up with their own ending. I hope I get to see that some day... and I’ll certainly have to cut them some slack when they/if do it.

Last edited:
Well the sad news has got me back to reading Berserk. I don’t think I helped myself by watching the 97 series, then the films then reading the manga... thats 3 times I got the Golden Age Arc in a short space of time. I kinda killed it a little so took a break. Anyway I’ve just got to the Wyald fight and man that was intense. Love how he creates tension and how he illustrates the action. To do that in images and seriously great ones at that Is so impressive. Makes me even sadder to know we’ll never see is vision ended. Playing the Gutz theme at the time of writing this isn’t helping but god I love it.

I can’t remember if I said this I here but I think the only way to end the story now is for someone to do it in anime form and basically come up with their own ending. I hope I get to see that some day... and I’ll certainly have to cut them some slack when they/if do it.

I dunno, seeing Duranki makes me think Studio Gaga could wrap things up if, of course, it's something he wasn't expressly against and following storyboards/story notes that probably exist. That was mostly their gig if I'm not mistaken and it looked pretty good.

It's ultimately up to Young Animal, I suppose, but it has the potential to be a respectful homage to an irreplaceable creator, concluding his indescribably important life's work. I'm fine if it doesn't happen as well, I'm not sure which would be more respectful but I think it can be done.

I still can't get over it, it fcking sucks so bad. I'm holding my deluxe edition 6 and not only was he an unparalleled artist he was an incredible creature designer. I mean, you've got people who do only creature design for a living. Miura did that on such a high level but also so much more.

What a huge loss.

Back