BEEZ license Patlabor 2 for October UK DVD release

Hovis! said:
I hope what's been done with Patlabor 1 & 2 is done with Wings Of Honneamise.
As do I, Bandai Visual released them under a label called "Honneamise" afterall. Stranger things have happened though.

Honestly I'm still undecided on their next release Gunbuster. I watched 3/6 of episodes of the sequel Diebuster and that was okay.

EvaUnit02 said:
Honestly I'm still undecided on their next release Gunbuster. I watched 3/6 of episodes of the sequel Diebuster and that was okay.
The sequel is pretty good but the original OAV falls squarely in the 'All Time Classic' category. I'm looking forward to seeing Bandai being the ones to give it the special treatment it deserves.

EvaUnit02 said:
Hovis! said:

As do I, Bandai Visual released them under a label called "Honneamise" afterall.

I might be mistaken, but also wasn't Bandai financially involved in a large capacity to the production of Wings Of Honneamise?

As I said, I might be mistaken. :)

Hovis! said:
EvaUnit02 said:
Hovis! said:

As do I, Bandai Visual released them under a label called "Honneamise" afterall.

I might be mistaken, but also wasn't Bandai financially involved in a large capacity to the production of Wings Of Honneamise?

Of course and they recently rescued the US rights to the film from Manga. There's a very good chance that we will see it get the red carpet treatment.

But you never know, as I said stranger things have happened and it they might just sit on the film rights and not release it. Pessimism is my view until we see an official announcement.

EvaUnit02 said:
Hovis! said:
EvaUnit02 said:
Hovis! said:

Of course and they recently rescued the US rights to the film from Manga. There's a very good chance that we will see it get the red carpet treatment.

But you never know, as I said stranger things have happened and it they might just sit on the film rights and not release it. Pessimism is my view until we see an official announcement.
It would be quite strange for a brand called Honneamise (the Bandai brand that these remastered titles are coming out under) wouldn't release its namesake title... :p

Apparently the official UK release of The Collector's Edition of Patlabor 2 is meant to be on 05/02/2007 (even though the standard edition has been out back at the end of October). I would be excited, but its been delayed three or four times now so I'll believe it when I see it (I remember Paul telling me that with Beez that's what you got to do - believe it when you see it).

I'd still like to know why its been delayed so many times mind...

Its looking promising. My order is currently being processed. I'll keep people posted (whether people are interested or not is a different thing altogether!).

Looks like it won't be till Monday that this arrives unfortunately (same with New Police Story). Still, an extra day or so isn't going to hurt that much I suppose.

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone else noticed that in in the last three or four months Play.com are taking a bit longer to ship-out pre-ordered items so that they arrive on a Monday rather than the usual Saturday?

Its not of major importance but I have a feeling certain parties are probably not happy that products were being obtained by customers earlier than the official projected release date (I know in the high street retailers certain parties have come down hard on shops that start selling goods before the official release).

Is all a bit batty if its true.

After a three / four month delay from its initial release date, Patlabor 2: The Movie - Collector's Edition arrived yesterday and I finally watched it tonight (at time of writing).

Though maybe my tastes have diversified and I generally prefer the Ghost In The Shell material (films and series alike), the first two Patlabor films still remain two of my all-time favourite animès (I haven't seen the third one yet so I can' comment on that) and two of my favourite science-fiction films period.

I was a bit worried about how in the new Bandai Visual release of Patlabor 2 that the musical score was altered and by all accounts for the worst, but I'm just left scratching my head (so to speak). Sure, I noticed some subtle differences (there was more use of vocals in some of the tracks, and some subtle instrument changes too here & there), but nothing that effected or changed the atmosphere and style that the original score produced.

I personally feel it was just the hardcore purists flexing their muscles as they so often do.

But still, well chuffed that this is now done and dusted. Great release from Beez.

P.S. Another thing I found watching this film again was how relevant it felt to today's global climate. Of particular note is the sequence where the Bay Bridge is destroyed. How the scene played out followed by a series of news broadcasts reminded me of when the World Trade Centre was destroyed (sure, the former is fiction and the latter reality, but how it played out was similar, and what with the fact Patlabor 2 was out long before that event in 2001, the similarities were very much alike).

Back