BECK

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1484 ... ,beck.html

Who is watching this (on fansub)? It's about an underground Japanese rock band called 'Beck' who are struggling for success in their home town, following a character called Koyuki who is bullied at college and picks up a guitar as a hobby. It's a story about the life of an underdog but also the discovery, creation and love of rock music.

Every so often it contains random dialogue in English (read Engrish). BECK often write their lyrics in English, Koyuki wears a Ramones t-shirt and at one point, some of the characters bump into English-speaking drunk foreigners. It's really quite bizarre.

I love the manga and anyone interested in music or high quality 'slice of life' anime should check this out.

I'm not sure how (if it's licensed) it will be dubbed into English without substancial changes to the original material; BECK relies on it's Japanese/English language barrier more than any other series I've seen before.

Anyway, have you been watching this? And if not, you should! ;)

I downloaded a few episodes, mainly because I heard it was about a Rock group (images of Gravitaion came to mind) but I didn't like it. I didn't like the animation style and couldn't get into the characters at all, the music was also disappointing. So I'm afraid I gave up on this one :(

It's possible if it were to be officially released that it'd be subtitled only. A lot of official releases seem to be that way at the moment (i.e. Seraphim Call).

BECK is so awesome, ive watched the first 15 episodes and it just keeps getting better, you've gotta love all the references aswell.

I have to agree, BECK is "awsome" its totally different from the other Anime's out there. and a good concept aswell, unlike the usuall mechs, magical powers, and fighting genres out there.
A must watch. :)

Just thought I'd give you BECK fans over there a newsflash.
The BECK game for the PS2 will be released very shortly :!:
It looks a bit weird :shock: You get a bonus CD album with it apparrently.

The only thing I like about BECK is the band name- Mongolian Chop Squad - genious :D

Ramen89 said:
Oh man, just found out that Beck is only 26 episodes long :cry:

I've read up to the latest graphic novel (before it was licensed, it's great by the way) and I wouldn't be surprised if there is another season of Beck being planned, depending on if it's successful enough in Japan or not. The opening animation shows the band touring in America, but the anime certainly won't make that point in the story by episode 26. I can't wait to see Beck's performance at the big Japanese music festival- I assume it will be the climax of episode 26, and trust me, it's great.

Also, the animation is by Madhouse and they have experience in long running series (Monster and Hajime no Ippo immediately come to mind).

This is my blind hope more than anything though. It would be a shame if the story were to end already.

I really hope there is a second series, I just couldnt bare it if it stopped in a couple of episodes, btw is the manga still running in Japan or has it ended?

Wow. Episode 21 was fantastic and the new ending song is just.... so good. It's the full, professional version of "Full moon sways". Very sentimental.

It will be sad if Beck finished after 26 episodes. I can't wait for the festival performance though- definently my favourite part of the manga.

Wow that new ending brings tears to the eyes, makes me annoyed that theres only a few episodes left :(
Maho, jeez what mixed signals, first Koyuki thought she thought it meant nothing, then she said about her heart etc, amazingly a relationship/romance side story that actually keeps me interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
The entire soundtrack (both versions) is amazing. Not really surprising since this is a show about a rock band, but still, it's up there with Yoko Kanno for varied styles of consistent quality.

Beck is such a sentimental anime and I'll be really sad if this finishes up at 26 episodes. I really can't wait for the next 3 or 4 episodes, going by this soundtrack, it won't be long before Beck becomes a classic.

Back