BBC4 showing Spirited Away

J_C_X

Great Teacher
Spirited Away on BBC4 January 26th 8.00PM.

It may be subtitled not sure. BBC4 tend to show films in their original lanuage the Japanese voice cast is creditied.

UPDATE: It's a part of a World Cinema season, so there is a strong possibility of this airing subbed.

I might try to give it another watch. When I saw it I thought it was a pretty terrible movie and just can't understand the praise it gets but then again I used to think Roger Moore Bond movies were great. Times change.

I think it will be subbed though it's not definate. It seems to be apart of a world cinema night, so they might show it in it's original lanuage.

CitizenGeek said:
Aion said:
They are getting desperate to broadcast rubbish like Spirited Away.

Yeah, what are they thinking airing Oscar-winning, extremely successful, widely acclaimed tat like Spirited Away!?

Of course! They would be much better off airing La Blue Girl...!!!

I don't like Spirited Away much either.

Deidara said:
Sy said:
Deidara said:
Aion said:
They are getting desperate to broadcast rubbish like Spirited Away.

Wow...you're the 2nd Person I've herd who doesn't like Spirited Away
In this thread or ever? Because there's a lot more.

People I've ever herd. Too many fans Ghibli fans you see, not that their films are bad.

There's a healthy amount of Anime (Ghibli) movies now I just hope they move on to more mature anime like Akira.

It is great for any TV channel to show anime films but there are only so many Ghibli films out there for them to pass around. I think it is time for one of them to breakout of what seems to be becoming tradition. Don't keep showing the safe options there are other movies out there, I know many are linked to series but there many stand alone films like already mentioned Akira, Appleseed or first two Ghost In The Shell Movies you could almost count Laughing Man and Individual Eleven. I bet there are loads of films or short OAVs that could be edited into films for showing on TV.

I'd like to think there is going to be an Akira showing this year after all it's the 20th anniversary this year. I'd actually be suprised if this went unnoticed, I hold out hope that BBC4, Channel 4 or anyone else picks up on this. Wether you like it or not Akira certainly did change the way we looked at animation in general.

"No Akira, no Matrix, it's that important" Empire.

You could argue it was a pop culture phenomenon.

CitizenGeek said:
I agree with Dracos - it's time to move beyond Ghibli films on UK TV. I'd love to see Akira air on TV, too. It's certainly a very marketable movie!

Hasn't it already been aired before though :? I know Ghost in the Shell has been shown on ITV2 though to my knowledge is the only anime that any of the ITV channels has have ever shown.

Back