BBC Radio 4 feature anime

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Yesterday BBC Radio 4 broadcasted a 24 minute feature on anime.<ul class="menu">Francine Stock discusses the growing reverence for Anime, the cinematic form of the Japanese comic book style manga. The Cambridge Film Festival will screen the British premiere of Howl's Moving Castle, the latest film by the legendary Anime director Hayao Miyazaki. It is an adaptation of Diana Wynne Jones' fantastical story about a girl who is turned into an old lady.

Francine Stock talks to film makers and fans, including Ollie Bader, of animation magazine Neo; David Sin, of the British Film Institute; Helen McCarthy, co-author of The Anime Encyclopaedia; film makers Michio Harada and Joji Koyama; critic Joe Cornish and author Stephen McGinty.</ul>You can stream this feature by visiting the official "Film Programme" website and then clicking the "Listen to the most recent edition" link on the right side.

This is actually quite a good listen for those who are interested in checking out anime. It contains the regular quota of mentions for Ghibli films and even a mention for AKIRA too.

isnt there only one jpop thing on podcasting,

its good that the bbc dpoes recognise anime for what it is even though its on a radio channel that only old people listen to lol

The show was really badly done.

When will non fans learn that there is more to animie than Miyazaki?

well they were probably given a bit of paper with it all written down, only putting things they might of heard of or heard from someone else, it probably because Miyazaki is the only one some people will know and is the most famous

And it's also probably something to do with the fact that maybe his films are probably the most widely avaliable. But in a way it's quite good, as it means the profile of his films might have been raised a little more, and might even result in more people wanting to watch Howl's Moving Castle when it's released at the cinema

When is Howls Moving Castle being released in the cinemas? I have reasons for seeing this one more than any other and I must I simply must - tell me when, when when!

Too early...

On a related (Howl's) note, the Times did a 2-page spread on anime today, mainly focusing on Ghibli but with mentions of others such as Paranoia Agent, Ghost in the Shell, Akira and, suprise suprise, Legend of the Overfiend. The newspaper seemed convinced that anime will become en vogue sooner or later, as did the Telegraph earlier this year.

When the article is posted online, I'll link it, or get Mangaminx to anyway. :p

Back