BBC Four look at the career of Hayao Miyazaki

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Our forum user cornixt has let us know that on Friday 24th March at 8.30pm (and repeated at 12.50am), BBC Four's <a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/listings/week/printable.shtml">"The Cinema Show" will contain</a> "a look at the career of (famous anime director) Hayao Miyazaki".

Quick question... Is the BBC aware that other anime directors exist, or do they think Miyazaki does everything?

I mean, would it kill them to look at someone other than Miyazaki for a change?

The others haven't won an Oscar! :p

I do agree with you though. He's done a fair few interviews (either than or they're recycling the same footage over and over). As much as I'm a fan of his films I'd rather hear from the Ghibli staff who are working on films that have an imminent release.

If this documentary tells us something that recent shows haven't it will certainly be worth watching.

I have to admit that I wouldn't mind seeing other anime directors featured, but it's not really surprising. As sick as we are hearing about Miyazaki (don't get me wrong, I love his work), I assume the majority of watchers still aren't aware he even exists let alone produces great movies.

A feature on Anno would be something though! :)

Paul said:
As sick as we are hearing about Miyazaki (don't get me wrong, I love his work), I assume the majority of watchers still aren't aware he even exists let alone produces great movies.
Quite. Just think of how many times a director like Peter Jackson has probably been mentioned on TV over the last few years. At least Miyazaki has actually made good films :X

Forthed on Anno. I'd also like to see an interview with Satoshi Kon. He's one of my favourite directors; I don't think i've seen one thing by him that I didn't like.

What has Anno actually done since Evangelion to make himself noteworthy? Why would someone randomly commission an interview with someone who made a splash a decade ago on the other side of the world?

Oshii and Kon are more likely subjects, though hardly mainstream. I personally prefer Satoshi Kon's works by a massive margin though. Oshii's films are as pretentious as you can possibly get and he has had the gall in the past to say that directors like Miyazaki can't hope to adequately appeal to audiences the same way his films supposedly do. The criticism was levelled at Mononoke in particular and naturally, the box offices figures made Ghost in the Shell look very, very small when it was released.

kupoartist said:
What has Anno actually done since Evangelion to make himself noteworthy? Why would someone randomly commission an interview with someone who made a splash a decade ago on the other side of the world?
Kare Kano was done since then, plus he's done some live action films that have seen precious little coverage ('Ritual' and 'Love & Pop' off the top of my head, plus the super-camp live action 'Cutie Honey'). I'd like to see the less well-known works of the famous directors getting some attention, rather than focusing on what audiences probably know already.

Kon is another good one, and isn't much less 'mainstream' than Miyazaki is. Anyway, we'll see what turns up when the programme is aired.

Paul said:
Our forum user cornixt has let us know that on Friday 24th March at 8.30pm (and repeated at 12.50am), BBC Four's <a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/listings/week/printable.shtml">"The Cinema Show" will contain</a> "a look at the career of (famous anime director) Hayao Miyazaki".

It was actually broadcasted originally last week although I only found out about it at the last minute but I blogged about it that evening so if you just want to watch the segment about Miyazaki (about 10 minutes in length) then you can find it on my blog as a Quicktime movie.

There was actually an equally short segment in the show about Georges Remi who was behind the Tin Tin cartoons which is worth watching too so it might be worth just checking out on TV tonight if that sort of thing intrigues you.

http://www.snugsoho.com/2006/03/19/the-cinema-show

Back