Battle Royale vs Hunger Games????

Ark

Adventurer
Okay, so I saw Battle Royale about a month ago and HG yesterday. Overall, I enjoyed them both but prefered HG for the subtle commentary on power and also I found the romance quite charming.

Has anyone else noticed that the Japanophiles are going ape **** over this film because they see it as a rip off of BR? Many of them even say that they haven't seen both films or even either. I'm so sick of this whole "Japanese media is great and all western media is garbage" thing. It's like this is their territory and they have to defend it.

Whats HG, Hunger Games? I really want to see Hunger Games, even if it does sound a little 'teen-lite'. Also it's not like a million other movies (both western and Japanese) haven't used the same formula as BR, since it's release.

vashdaman said:
I really want to see Hunger Games, even if it does sound a little 'teen-lite'.

I know you'd expect that due to it's intended audience but it really wasn't at all. It felt mature and subtle, at least as much as BR, if not more so. It felt like a real film as opposed to something they were just making to get kids who liked the book to go see. To be honest I'd imagine it wouldn't necessarily have that much appeal to a lot of younger teenagers. Especially girls. It's definately not the "New Twilight" in any real sense.

I agree with that. I must confess I indulged in it a little myself RE Black Swan, but that was mostly based on the trailer and I don't think that way anymore (in fairness the trailer WAS a Perfect Blue rip-off, but the actual film was nothing like that) and then there's people who thing Inception = Paprika and they are just on crack.

However, I think it is in fact very popular with girls from what I understand - Hunger Games, I mean.

I've only read a small amount of the Battle Royale manga and I've not seen Hunger Games beyond the trailer, at face value they look similar, but I could give Hunger Games the benefit of a doubt.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
and then there's people who thing Inception = Paprika and they are just on crack.

From my POV I don't understand why you'd even do that if you're a fan of Parika. Paprika was 10 times more engaging to me than Inception. Even if it was a rip off it's not as if that actually helped the quality of the film. Why would you even want to draw that strong a connection between them?

To me I'm not judging films by "originality" like the makers of John Carter want you to do. I happen to like the remakes of Let The Right One In, Ringu and Cape Fear more than the originals. All I'm interested in is the quality.

Ark said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
and then there's people who thing Inception = Paprika and they are just on crack.

From my POV I don't understand why you'd even do that if you're a fan of Parika. Paprika was 10 times more engaging to me than Inception. Even if it was a rip off it's not as if that actually helped the quality of the film. Why would you even want to draw that strong a connection between them?

(I actually really like Inception :p but I love Paprika too, Kon is my favourite director) and I agree r.e. quality over originality. I mean if you'd have to look pretty hard for a 100% original film with zero influences at all. And for all the "oh too many comic book movies" people, most of the films they love were probably based on books and they don't even know (did you know Die Hard was a book? That Jaws was a book?)

Next will be people comparing the [currently filming] Ender's Game with 1997's Starship Troopers (or any other incarnation for that matter)

Omaru_SD said:
Next will be people comparing the [currently filming] Ender's Game with 1997's Starship Troopers (or any other incarnation for that matter)

Although to be fair the original Starship trooper novel predates ender's game by a few years (25 years to be exact)

Ark said:
Okay, so I saw Battle Royale about a month ago and HG yesterday. Overall, I enjoyed them both but prefered HG for the subtle commentary on power and also I found the romance quite charming.

Has anyone else noticed that the Japanophiles are going ape **** over this film because they see it as a rip off of BR? Many of them even say that they haven't seen both films or even either. I'm so sick of this whole "Japanese media is great and all western media is garbage" thing. It's like this is their territory and they have to defend it.

Okay, let's have some fun with this.

First up, there is nothing separate about the Japanese and American film, TV, music, animation, and comic/manga industries. In some cases they are the same companies (e.g. Sony) doing the same kind of things in both countries. The shared history goes right back too. Creative people from those industries in both countries have been 'borrowing' and learning from each other on a large scale since at least the early C20th.

I left the UK out of that, but the same is true for us. We have been involved in the same kind of process with both countries.

It's not just us either. The French for example. Hollywood has remade French movies in the same way as they remake Japanese movies. The French have also borrowed from the Americans.

So why do (mostly young male) people get so hung up on rubbishing America for 'ripping off' Japanese things? Short answer is that they don't know the history.

Now let's take a look at Battle Royale. First off, it was a novel. A novel which was critical of Japanese culture, and which was essentially a 'teenage freedom' story. Has there ever been any such story in the USA or here before Battle Royale? Oh yes. The Americans actually invented the idea of the teenager and a big shift in culture and cultural products soon followed. It may seem odd but before roughly the 1950s there was no such concept as the teenager. People just went from being children to being working adults. Nothing in between. But by the late 1960s we had caught the same cultural turn and were turning out 'teenager' material in vast abundance too. Why not look back at some of our own?

Take a look at a film called If from 1968 if you get the chance.
http://www.imdb.co.uk/title/tt0063850/

And Read Anthony Burgess' novel A Clockwork Orange from 1962. You can watch Kubrick's film of the book too if you like.

Want something from the USA? Watch Rebel Without A Cause (1955) and see something of the start of 'the teenager'. http://www.imdb.co.uk/title/tt0048545/

So in both the UK and the USA there have been plenty of novels and films about 'teenage' problems and adult's crushing the life out of teenagers from decades before Battle Royale was published. Do you suppose that any of them had some influence in making Battle Royale possible or even shaping it beyond what might be possible from just relying on Japanese cultural heritage and products?

As for The Hunger Games, I got the impression that the film was a pretty hollowed out version of the books. I haven't read the books, but I would not be surprised if they were a lot better than the film was. It's certainly true that the original Battle Royale novel is much better than the manga (worthless rubbish) and the film (Takeshi Kitano overacting and improvising whilst still looking bored and uninterested in the film) so if there is any comparison to be made it ought to be between the books rather than the films.

I hope that opens things up a bit for you. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair Muu, your above post does seem to presume your intended audience doesn't understand basic tropes or have any grasp of 20th Century history or culture and is looking to you for guidance.

It's not so much what you wrote, but how you wrote it. If you were giving a media studies lesson to 13 year olds the tone would perhaps be appropriate, but to other adults reading it just comes across as condescending.

It's trolling to echo the opinion of someone you believe has a legitimate point after they've been accused of trolling?

Contrary to a popular meme, there aren't "trolls everywhere" Muu. Frankie says relax.

BlackWolf said:
Omaru_SD said:

Although to be fair the original Starship trooper novel predates ender's game by a few years (25 years to be exact)
Didn't realise the gap was that large - I first read Enders Game (the novel not the original short) in about 1988 and thought it was meant to be an old sci fi classic back then (and anyone who likes left field sci fi should read the novel).

Back