Battle Girls: Time Paradox cut by the BBFC

Rui said:
My MP failed to impress when I last wrote to her on a similar subject. I think you're spot on about them blending it all in with child protection issues too, which makes it impossible to argue - which is a terrible shame, as the actual perpetrators of child abuse in this country are numerous and there's no evidence that I know of which firmly links them to anime, manga, BBFC ratings or anything else. It's embarrassing that our country is being treated as though it's more puritanical than the Bible Belt in the US when I don't think that it is (culturally speaking).

I wish that pre-downfall Manga UK or another noisy UK subculture company could have started an actual campaign, because I think that's the only way to be heard at this point. And since it benefits the industry more than it benefits us as individuals (we can just import...) it would make an awful lot of sense for someone to do this.

R

It's a trump card that really is impossible to argue against.

robot monkey said:
Rui said:
My MP failed to impress when I last wrote to her on a similar subject. I think you're spot on about them blending it all in with child protection issues too, which makes it impossible to argue - which is a terrible shame, as the actual perpetrators of child abuse in this country are numerous and there's no evidence that I know of which firmly links them to anime, manga, BBFC ratings or anything else. It's embarrassing that our country is being treated as though it's more puritanical than the Bible Belt in the US when I don't think that it is (culturally speaking).

I wish that pre-downfall Manga UK or another noisy UK subculture company could have started an actual campaign, because I think that's the only way to be heard at this point. And since it benefits the industry more than it benefits us as individuals (we can just import...) it would make an awful lot of sense for someone to do this.

R

It's a trump card that really is impossible to argue against.

IMHO it's perfectly possible to argue against, especially when the "somebody think of the children" argument is weak and a transparent attempt to shut down debate. The trouble is that there seems to be no-one well positioned to do so who would be willing to. Anime and manga publishers in this country are too small to make it worth their while, and our civil liberties organizations (i.e. Liberty) are pathetic shadows of those elsewhere in the world. Liberty has proven time and again that they only seem interested in nice easy causes which will get Shami Chakrabarti on TV. They're scared of pushing for increased freedom with regards to anything that might get them negative press.

What we really need is for the Prime Minister to be someone with more concern for freedom and logical decision making than avoiding bad headlines in the Daily Mail. Don't see that happening with the current selection of jokers.

Battle Girls: Time Paradox has been delayed until 16th February 2015; presumably so that new discs can be created due to the BBFC requesting the series to be cut by 8 seconds on disc 1.

If this is the case (as MVM Entertainment have yet to confirm it) then the sample/review/check discs sent out to reviewers most likely contained the uncut product (which explains why I didn't notice any differences from when I last watched it).

Back