AOL & Bubblegum Crisis + Death Note update

jeremy1985

Kiznaiver
AOL began offering Bubblegum Crisis, the first anime series on its In2TV online video service, on May 2. The entire dystopic science-fiction series is available for free streaming with a compatible version of Adobe Flash Player.

Episodes are also available for downloading in what the service calls "full screen, DVD quality video." Unlike the streams, the downloaded files include digital rights management for Windows-only playback, and cannot run on iPods.

In related news, the Direct2Drive video download service began offering the first two episodes of Death Note in similarly restricted downloads yesterday (May 9th), a day early.

Source: Anime News Network

Note - All the Bubblegum Crisis and Death Note episodes are region locked. Meaning that you can only view and/or download the episodes if you live in the USA or have a registered billing address in the USA.

orignal notes on the news post -

After attempting to view the Bubblegum Crisis episodes via online streaming, I got the message 'not viewable in your area', which may mean that no one outside the USA can stream the video.

However, after downloading required free software from the website, nothing has stopped me from starting a download of the episodes.
(the first episode is about 440 MB, so depending on your connection, it could take a while to download)
However, after finishing the download, the episode is region locked. You can only view the episode if you have a USA billing address.

Also, episodes 1 and 2 of Death Note cost $1.99 each (about £1.00) and registration with the Direct2Drive service is free and available to UK residents.

However although registration is free, the Death Note episodes are region locked. Which means that they cannot be downloaded if you live outside the USA.

Bubblegum crisis the OVA or the 2040 one? I'm guessing the latter. I never can understand why they need to region block the net tho, i mean its a region in its own right so to speak!!!!

i see what you mean about the death note episodes being region locked. (just tried to download them myself)

(i'm editing the news post as well).

i agree, it's stupid to region-lock them. how does it benefit them, if people abroad want to download them, surely they would make lots of money on it.
but it's probably the original agreement to be able to download the episodes that says not avilable outside the USA.

The Bubblegum crisis episodes are the orignal released in 1987, not the tokyo 2040 series.

As Jeremy noted the main reason for region-locking this content is probably due to their licencing agreement, which will cover the USA only. I am not particularly surprised that this stuff is largely only available to the US. I just take it as par for the course really.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Sounds like a complete waste of time to me.
Indeed, it's not like the majority of 13 year old DN fan girls are going to download episodes when they can watch them on youtube anyway.

YESSS, i was right. I Knew they were going to Region Lock this.

Funnily enough; I don't believe the United States covers the entirety of this planet, even though they think it does.

The 20th kick to the balls is just as painful as the first

While I chuckle at your comment, I have to disagree, if delivered 'in a row' numbness would surely play a part!

RichB06 said:
The 20th kick to the balls is just as painful as the first

While I chuckle at your comment, I have to disagree, if delivered 'in a row' numbness would surely play a part!

And finally blissful unconsciousness...

Semajer said:
I just hope that they release some DVDs over here soon. I watched some subbed Death Note and it is just so darn good.

They have only just released a Trailer of the English Dub, and america is expecting a first DVD release (sub and dub) in the fourth quarter of '07, so expect 2008 the united kingdoms Death Note year.

Just read the Manga, tis easier.

Jayme said:
Semajer said:
I just hope that they release some DVDs over here soon. I watched some subbed Death Note and it is just so darn good.

They have only just released a Trailer of the English Dub, and america is expecting a first DVD release (sub and dub) in the fourth quarter of '07, so expect 2008 the united kingdoms Death Note year.

Yes, but thats if someone publishes the manga and the DVDs in the UK at all.

Semajer said:
Jayme said:
Semajer said:

Yes, but thats if someone publishes the manga and the DVDs in the UK at all.

Manga is out in selected shops, if they order in from America

Back