Any horror recommendations?

Roadie

School Idol
Out of all the anime out there I prefer horror. I haven't watched one for a quite a long time. Just wondering if anyone can suggest a horror and/or psychological.
Getting tired of all the romance and "comedy" titles out there :(

Have you tried Death Note? It's more of a thriller I suppose but you mentioned psychological so it doesn't look like you're after only bloody and guts.

I thought Monster was thriller? You should look around for Guro. Depends if you want that extreme type though, btw most Guro is manga though IIRC. >__<

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/Spirited Away by Ogres

On the surface is a school harem comedy with the usual stereotypes but evil horrific things are lurking underneath.

Thanks for the recommendations, I've already seen Elfen Lied, Hellsing and tokko which were all very good (except Tokko, didn't like it much). I've seen Paranoia agent about before didn't think much of it, I'll have to check that out, same with perfect blue, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and blood (I didn't like blood+ so I've avoided Blood so far, but looks ok).

I don't really buy the whole 'horror' thing as a genre but if it's supernatural beasties you're after, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is a damn good film (chekc out our old Halloween recommendations article for similar stuff).

I'm more into spychological thriller stuff so anything by Satoshi Kon is worth mentoining yet again, plus perhaps Serial Experiments Lain. That has a supernatural Matrix-style idea of blurring the internet and real worlds, with some headscratchy stuff too.

Puni Puni Poemi now that's a scary anime.
Elfen lied is also scary not for the blood n guts, but for mans inhumanity, and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is good as you never quiet know whats going to happen each time (unlike most horror). Perfect Blue is good psycho horror.
Thing is not really fond of horror as a genre. Mainly as they all generally either every one dies or you get the 'twist' at the end which is generally about as surprising as finding soy sauce in a soy sauce bottle. While there are occasionally some vaguely original works (in all media) it very rare to get one where you can't work out who's going to live (till the last 5 min any way) and who is going to go off in their underwear to investigate a noise at 4am.

Jigoku Shoujo aka Hell Girl is very good imo, first series has been 'out' for a while (26 eps) and the 2nd season is currently airing

Stainboy said:
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/Spirited Away by Ogres
Spirited Away by Ogres? What's that? Higurashi no Naku Koro ni translates as "the Moment the Cicadas Cry". I'll give a recommendation for it though, the only horror I've seen that creeped me out.

Roadie said:
Not fond of the character art though
It's based off a doujin game, so I wasn't expecting great artwork. Once you reach episode 5 you'll probably have a better idea if it's a series you'll get along with.

hopeful_monster said:
Puni Puni Poemy
Granted, but probably not what he's looking for :lol:

Not saying the art is bad, its just not quite the type of art you'd expect in a horror. I haven't watched it for a while now, it was ok but with the repetition (if you've seen you'll know what I mean) I kind of got bored, I guess it'll get better half way through where its explained or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back