Another stabbing spree in japan

It's similar to the way things are going over here I guess - it's the relative rise in number of incidents rather than the total number that makes it newsworthy. As Maxon and ayase pointed out, the UK and Japan are nowhere near the worst for violent crime but it's worrying that they're getting more frequent (or have a higher profile in the news...?).

At least nobody was seriously injured this time...small mercies, eh?

Deidara said:
Not being sexist, but Im surprised it's a woman.

Looks like in Japan, everything is an extreme.

And Japan supposedly have one of the lowest crime rate in the world. But that's because police there take a blind eye to.

Maxon said:
America is far, far worse for homicides and violent attacks. Still is pretty messed up though.
Give them their dues, compared to UK and Japan, HAVE YOU SEEN THE SIZE OF AMERICA?! (as a whole).
Plenty of room for maniacs and psychopaths to brood and breed. While here, we just have groups of anti-socials looking 'sharp' and 'on-edge'.

Comparing Japan and UK though, it's only in the past year or so that the alarms for knife/gun crime had sounded. Japan has had these things for longer than us, hasn't it?

ayase said:
Gacha said:
I thought britan had it bad
No, we don't, and neither does Japan. El Salvador has it bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_murder_rate#2000s
You liked this list =P I think that is a fair list, as it shows numbers per 100k inhabitants. In other words, it doesn't take into account total number which might get a wrong figure for very populous countries.

Martin said:
It's similar to the way things are going over here I guess - it's the relative rise in number of incidents rather than the total number that makes it newsworthy. As Maxon and ayase pointed out, the UK and Japan are nowhere near the worst for violent crime but it's worrying that they're getting more frequent (or have a higher profile in the news...?).

At least nobody was seriously injured this time...small mercies, eh
I think they agree with me, WRT to violence levels in the UK...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7514258.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7511758.stm

I blame the media.

Chaz said:
Maxon said:
America is far, far worse for homicides and violent attacks. Still is pretty messed up though.
Give them their dues, compared to UK and Japan, HAVE YOU SEEN THE SIZE OF AMERICA?! (as a whole).
Crime / Murder rate figures are per 100k inhabitants, so they have a really high rate, which multiplied by their population, gets to a high total number. I believe Maxon was talking about rate, which is more than twice as much as the UK.

In general, I think that the media has nothing to report, so why not create the false sense of insecurity? Let's report every murder, every rape, every manslaughter, as we don't have anything else from interest to repot... =( This is waht I think is happening.

0% crime is utopia, but there are levels that the World Health Foundation consider "acceptable" and levels that WHO consider a murder epidemic, and UK is well below those levels.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the levels we have now is ok and we shouldn't worry to lower them, I'm just saying that the way the media is reporting all this, I can just see things going wrong, specially if gang members start believing the news and felling unsafe. What will they do? They will carry some weapon =(

That's my 2p's..

Chaz said:
Maxon said:
Plenty of room for maniacs and psychopaths to brood and breed. While here, we just have groups of anti-socials looking 'sharp' and 'on-edge'.
As chaos has already mentioned, I meant in terms of ratios since it's obvious a country that size will have problems.

She musn't have been a happy bunny. :S

I've had two stabbings on my street in the last two years. I can see where the first one happened from my bedroom window. Feels worse to me but obviously it all depends on where you live.

sorry to hear that Voddas. I think that sense of security is also something personal. If any violence happened to you / you presenced it, you have a tendency to think things are bad.

I feel really uneasy with police. I've been searched (didn't had anything, I was just not wearing a seat belt) and I had guns pointed at me. My sister's friend was mugged in front of my house and had her car taken as well.
Moving from where I was to London changed my sense os security entirely. I feel much safer than I ever did.

chaos said:
sorry to hear that Voddas. I think that sense of security is also something personal. If any violence happened to you / you presenced it, you have a tendency to think things are bad.

I feel really uneasy with police. I've been searched (didn't had anything, I was just not wearing a seat belt) and I had guns pointed at me. My sister's friend was mugged in front of my house and had her car taken as well.
Moving from where I was to London changed my sense os security entirely. I feel much safer than I ever did.

Jesus Huego Gonzalez Christ!

What were you being searched for? They must've had some kind of suspicion, at least enough to point the pieces at you...!

Kurogane said:
chaos said:

What were you being searched for? They must've had some kind of suspicion, at least enough to point the pieces at you...!
two different occasions. I've been searched for drugs, as in Brazil Metal fan = junkie, or at least it used to be. I'm glad it's not like that anymore.

The guns pointed at me was when druglords decided to go on a police hunt. Over a hundred murders in a weekend... I admit I was speeding, as I wanted out of the mess and was driving to get my sister kids from school.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_2006_São_Paulo_violence

chaos said:
Kurogane said:
chaos said:

two different occasions. I've been searched for drugs, as in Brazil Metal fan = junkie, or at least it used to be. I'm glad it's not like that anymore.

The guns pointed at me was when druglords decided to go on a police hunt. Over a hundred murders in a weekend... I admit I was speeding, as I wanted out of the mess and was driving to get my sister kids from school.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_2006_São_Paulo_violence

That's fukked up.

Some people must have very frustrating lives, but i dont understand why they take it out on innocent people. My sisters the same, when shes angry she shouts at the rest of the family, although my headset comes in handy cause i can play music and ignore her :D

Because of the anime stereotype, I find it hard to imagine the woman in question without luridly-coloured hair, massive boobs and a sword. :p

Incidentally, I would never make light of knife crime. I've had my own experience of it, and let me tell you, it is not an amusing matter.

Back