Annoying manga edits!

Again! another of those arguements about why bother rating it for 13+?? I read plenty of manga that is for 16+ or 18 and I'm not talking hentai!!One of my current faves is Sensual Phrase, there isn't a nipple in sight, it's a love story based around a rock group but because there are some quite heavy kissing and bed scenes, it has a sensible rating of 17+. I wouldn't have thought I's would appeal to many 13 year olds anyway :? so they should have stuck with a higher reader rating and left it alone, coz I doubt they'll make that much extra from sales to under 15's!!

I don't know about America but in the UK kids of any age can see page 3 models complete with nipples! I'm not sure if Stars over said nipples is better or worse than painting in a bikini :lol:

This is what happens when something becomes mainstream; companies only focus on money and the watering down of artistic freedom begins. Just look at the state of mainstream American movies and music these days. It's a worrying trend and given the growing success of manga and anime around the world, I can't help but feel concerned.

Paul said:
This is what happens when something becomes mainstream; companies only focus on money and the watering down of artistic freedom begins. Just look at the state of mainstream American movies and music these days. It's a worrying trend and given the growing success of manga and anime around the world, I can't help but feel concerned.

Sadly yes :( , and its irritating. I for one would not buy a manga I knew was edited , especially if it was one that I expected to be aimed at adults.

Just noticed this on the animeondvd.com homepage
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/6656.html
Viz's response to the I's edits.

Well lets go back to the dark days when there was only 1 or 2 anime VHs released per month, and where it was dub or sub, not both!! As for manga forgetoutaboutit!

I think the fact that its easier to buy anime and manga is worth one or two edited titles.

I have no problems with anime becoming popular Ian, if I did, I certainly wouldn't be running this site to support anime in the UK. The problem is that popularity can become a sort of creative straight-jacket- for a prime example, look at hackjobs courtesy of 4Kids.

Personally, these manga edits don't bother me too much because I'm not interested in these specific titles, but I would be really pissed off if some corporate fat-cat got a hold of the Berserk manga and toned down the violence in order to pass it with a lower age rating. I'd rather read something that completely reflects the authors creative vision.

It's great that more and more anime/manga fans are popping-up, but it seems pointless if what they are reading isn't even the original version in the first place. Part of the allure of anime and manga is that it can tackle tricky, viseral issues; toning it down is akin to removing it's appeal to many people.

Paul said:
I'd rather read something that completely reflects the authors creative vision.
Viz said:
Any (very minimal) edits done to any manga title are to fit the criteria of audiences in the U.S., and we follow and respect the wishes of the creator to the letter, as we did in this instance. There are never, at any time, any edits done without the creator's full knowledge and approval.
This does not appear to be the issue, at least in this case. It's censorship (very mild, from what I hear), rather than a "real" edit that actually affects the story.

I don't like censorship because I don't see what purpose it serves -- would an eight year old really be that badly affected by seeing a few boobs? But does it really make the story that much worse if you don't get to see any nipples?

I don't think that manga should be edited more than is required in translating it, but if a little censorship is what's required to get manga and anime accepted, I won't complain.

The Yami No Matsuei/Descendants of Darkness change must only be in the manga, coz I honestly can't remember anything that sexy in the anime :lol: There's plenty of bishounen but I don't remember anyone in a sex scene!! I shan't bother with the manga then, as I can't see the point in reading it to find out the differences if the differences have been taken out :?

While I am more than happy with manga and anime becoming mainstream , even minor edits tend to irritate me. While certain things arent integral to the plot of course, it tends to be the principle that bothers me more than anything.

I don't mind edits as long as I don't know about them :lol:
I really, really want to buy the Tactics manga but just knowing they've edited some of the more risque scenes has really put me off. I guess eventually I will succumb :evil: but it still irks me a lot!

Miaka-chan said:
I don't mind edits as long as I don't know about them :lol:
I really, really want to buy the Tactics manga but just knowing they've edited some of the more risque scenes has really put me off. I guess eventually I will succumb :evil: but it still irks me a lot!

If I dont know about an edit it obviously dosent bother me either. But I do tend to chase up information to check if there is edits before I buy something.

This is on anime rather than manga edits, but I read an interview with Justin Sevakis (ImaginAsian TV producer, former CPM subtitler) on Anime News Network, and thought I'd mention this:
ANN and Justin Sevakis said:
What's your stance on editing content for television? What do you base edits on?

Well, the FCC is being very scary these days, as anyone who follows the whole Howard Stern thing knows. You simply cannot get away with a lot of stuff on TV. That being the case, I prefer to let our content speak for itself and make as few changes as possible. Some of it's art, some of it's not, but if we didn't like it in the first place, we wouldn't be licensing it. There are other minor issues such as allotted running time, but those aren't really big concerns.

I'm not a fan of large-scale “Americanizationâ€

Not really sure what to make of that interview either. I havent seen the titles listed so really cant comment if editing made them better.

i normally prefer the director's cuts of films an stuff, but i don't mind a manga being edited as long as it's stated as to whether it's the edited version or not.

Back