Annoying manga edits!

Miaka-chan

Stand User
Have you come across many?
I really want to get Tactics, it's a new manga release from ADV (I've seen the first 8 anime eps and it's really good) but on the front cover there is a marker stating that the images have been altered, ones assumes the content is unsuitable! but unsuitable for whom?! Surely a higher reader rating would solve any problems? I mean I can't see that much was edited out of the 7th volume of Fake (and those that have read it will know what I mean :wink: ), so why Tactics?
I also noticed that there have been 32 changes made to the Tenjo Tenge in an article I read (this particular manga isn't my thing!) but apart from 26 cover ups of boobs and panties, there are 6 edits of what is said. Surely the would be readers of this are at an age where these changes are unnecessary :shock:

Certain times in official anime releases I've noticed the swearing is changed in the subtitling/dubbing, this bugs me too :(

I'm against censorship in general; I really don't understand why people are concerned about children seeing breasts or hearing swearwords. Of course, the reason that companies do it is to pacify the masses that are concerned about this sort of thing, for some reason.

I am, however, confused about the six language edits to Tenjho Tenge. Surely the whole thing was in Japanese before, so all of it has been edited. What makes these six lines so different?

The problem is that with a lot of these American companies, they research a title and then target a specific age demographic. With Tenjoe, they obviously decided to go for the youngsters and this mean't hacking it up to meet specific and strict standards.

The sad thing is, these companies aren't being run by anime/manga fans. They're being run by people who are looking to earn their next quick buck and want to make as much as possible. Worryingly, companies like CMX (who are a part of DC Comics) and 4Kids are so big that they can just ignore the hardcore fans and create themselves an audience that is twice as big.
Most of these new fans won't even realize that what they are getting is a watered down, censored version of what Tenjoe used to/could be.

The Internet has at least raised more awareness of these cynical attempts to destory artistic integrity for the sake of a few more dollars. Since fans can now enjoy things like fansubs (taken from Japanese TV) and read scanlated manga, we finally have a large-scale, reliable way of comparing and subsequently protesting.

Tenjoe will hopefully stand as an early example of what these companies can expect if they decide to follow the same path as CMX. I can't imagine the reaction of Naruto fans if it turns out that ShoPro do a '4Kids' on the show.

Paul said:
I can't imagine the reaction of Naruto fans if it turns out that ShoPro do a '4Kids' on the show.
my guess is, all hell will break loose. if they did that to my fave anime show, i'd be pretty annoyed about it.

Paul said:
With Tenjoe, they obviously decided to go for the youngsters and this mean't hacking it up to meet specific and strict standards.
Tenjo Tenge was edited to a supposed "teen standard" but is still way too violent for 13 year olds.

The Internet has at least raised more awareness of these cynical attempts to destory artistic integrity for the sake of a few more dollars. Since fans can now enjoy things like fansubs (taken from Japanese TV) and read scanlated manga, we finally have a large-scale, reliable way of comparing and subsequently protesting.
And a way for people not to buy anime/manga at all, whitch is why id like to see both of them banned for ever.

They're being run by people who are looking to earn their next quick buck and want to make as much as possible.
Hate to break it to you, but even companies like MVM and ADV are in it for the money.

Anyway, the boss of CMX should be getting a load of letters by enraged US fans tomorrow morning :p So expect them to make a statment about it sometime next week.

Again, for an up to date lisiting of edits and info on what to do, go here:
http://digitalsin.bebopboard.net/index2.html

I'll never understand why you'd want to edit something that was aimed at adults in the first place to use as kiddy fodder. Oh! Great is a hentai artist after all.

IanC said:
Paul said:
And a way for people not to buy anime/manga at all, whitch is why id like to see both of them banned for ever.

...so I guess we should ban DVD/VHS recorders as well, seeing as they allow people to illegally keep copies of shows that have been on TV. Sorry, went off track.

IanC said:
Paul said:

If as you say, fansubs were banned, then you wouldn't be reading this now because Anime UK News wouldn't exist. I found my way into this anime community thanks to the wonders of modern day fansubs and as such, I find it hard to understand when others come out with rash statements like "they should be banned forever".
Indeed, some people will take fansubs over the official releases (because they are free), but what makes you think these same people would have bought the DVDs (let alone even heard of that show) in the first place?

Anime is growing around the world, especially in the UK, and fansubs have directly contributed to this growth- with the absence of relevant anime on TV, people can finally enjoy (and preview) a series they are interested in before deciding to buy it. The same reasoning applies to the music industry, where album sales have actually gone up despite all the fuzz and bother surrounding the MP3 revolution.

Why do people go to see Manchester United play live when they can just watch the same match, for less money and effort, on TV? Because they want to support them. Believe it or not, most anime fans are exactly the same.

Basically IanC, if you took fansubs away, the UK industry would be a lot smaller. I think you will find all the people who watch fansubs and post on these (and many other) forums also own their fair share of official anime DVDs.

Hate to break it to you, but even companies like MVM and ADV are in it for the money.

I think you've missed my point though, the likes of 4Kids can afford to upset the hardcore fans, but can MVM and ADV? Personally, I think MVM would suffer a lot more if they, for example, cut Full Metal Alchemist and changed all the character names etc.

IanC said:
Paul said:

I guess a significant event for fansub groups will be when the Naruto DVDs come out. As Naruto is one of the most popular fansubs, if the DVDs don't sell well the companies will blame fansubbers for letting everyone have the series for free. However, if they do sell well, then it will be at least partially due to the large-scale (well, relatively...) awareness created by the fansubs.
Personally, I think that generating awareness of such a little known but high quality subject as anime must be a good thing.

On fansubs:
This is a debate that will never be solved. No one is going to prove to anyone else that fansubs are either beneficial or harmful to the anime industry. Not that we shouldn't discuss this sort of thing, but just bear it in mind before anyone feels inclined to post anything angry and incoherent; I'm sure we've all seen enough of that elsewhere.

My opinion is that they are wrong in principal, beneficial for fans, and overall probably don't have a huge effect on the industry. The first because it is stealing, no matter how one might justify it; the second because fans get to try a lot more stuff than most could afford otherwise; and the third because fansubs are a niche market within the niche market of anime, and they result in some people buying more and others buying less.

On anime companies:
I think the fundamental difference between a company like 4KIDS and ADV is that ADV is run by fans, and 4KIDS is run by people that want to make money. I don't want to suggest that ADV doesn't want to make money, though. It's a business, and they can't afford to work for nothing.

However, I think that companies like ADV would be willing to licence a show they genuinely liked, even if they weren't confident it would sell. They're in the business primarily because they love it, rather than for the money. Which makes sense, when you consider that (so far as I can tell) there really isn't that much money in most anime (excluding Pokemon, et al).

I've never made up my mind about the likes of ADV. They keep episode/disc counts low in order to make more cash but considering the production costs of the DVDs (i think it's the cost of including two language tracks) i'm not surprised they do it. the most basic difference is that ADV, Manga, Beez, MVM and the other dedicated anime distributors actually know about the anime they are selling. 4kids don't.

I agree, 4kids just seem to do what they like with a seire and dont care what the fans think. they charge the anime so much that its like watching something compelety different where ADV, MVM , and so on try not to charge the eps as much as possable so yoy can enjoy the seire the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

Well, as the name suggests, 4Kids is all about making it for kids, if you look on the website it's all about 'the colourful characters 9-11 year olds love" (and will get parents to pay through the nose for trading cards, action figures, etc), so of course words like "death" and "Tokyo" have to be removed in order to avoid unnecessarily distressing that demographic. :roll:

MVM don't really figure in this, they only license the show for UK distribution- it has already been dubbed and edited (or not) by US studios like FUNimation or wherever.

As for the whole fansub debate, I think Colin sums it up the best.

On the fansub debate I (like Red XIII) think Colin summed it up best. Nobody will win the argument. Ive seen fansubs on occasion , never downloaded them myself , and just prefer to watch my anime bit by bit on DvD.
But lots of people prefer to preview their anime through fansubs which is fine by me too (Its all down to preferance). Certainly I quite enjoy seeing what series are hyped up via fansubs so I can look forward to the DvD release myself, without knowing whats going to happen next as I havent seen the fansubs. I must admit I feel slight annoyance from people who download fansubs and never buy any anime. But those are people who most likely arent going to buy DvDs in the first place ( as Paul said ).

On the subject of edits , as people have saids 4Kids are in the business to sell anime to Kids, so they edit anime for kids to watch. It what they do to make money, and they can afford to upset the adult fandom.
ADV , a studio that licences anime directly from Japan and is run for the adult fandom who dont want edits dont tend to edit shows. Unless the people who give an anime age classification deem their product in need of cuts to be released, in which case they would have too.

The Tenjho Tenge edits seem to me to have been done in the 4Kids vein , to encompass a larger market therefore sell more books And judging by the response on the animeondvd forums and elsewhere. This perhaps wasnt such a smart move on the part of CMX.

Paul said:
If as you say, fansubs were banned, then you wouldn't be reading this now because Anime UK News wouldn't exist. I found my way into this anime community thanks to the wonders of modern day fansubs and as such, I find it hard to understand when others come out with rash statements like "they should be banned forever".

Fansubs have made the UK anime market what it is today!
I personally don't want to go back to how it used to be 10-13 years ago!
The only problem I can see with fansubs is the same problem there has always been, there will always be people quite happy to go through anime life with a whole bundle of anime burned onto discs and never buy the originals (I have a friend who has over 150 anime titles, all fansubs at one point or another and has never replaced them with originals).

I have only been able to download fansubs for about 10-11 weeks but prior to that, to get hold of the latest releases I would buy the asian DVDs or occasionally I would buy other peoples downloads of fansubs. I have done this for about 3 or more years but when they have official releases, as long as I like what I watched! I buy the official DVDs.
I must admit that being able to download myself is the greatest fun ever :D and I see no wrong in it AT ALL because if anything I'm an even bigger anime fan now, than ever before (and that's not bad considering I have been into anime for nearly 13 years :p ).

What cracks me up about the legality of copy, is VHS blank video tapes have been available to buy since 1981 (did you know the first blank tape, a Scotch tape, cost £20 each in 1981? and that 3 years later they cost £6 and now you can buy 10 Maxell tapes for £6 :shock: ) anyway! back to what I was saying :lol: It has always been illiegal to tape programmes off of the television but the videos have been available for 23 years! now it's DVD. Before that it was audio cassettes and they were just as illegal to use but still sold, now it's CD-Rs!! Prior to that it was tape-to-tape (and yes! I am that old that I remember them all!! :wink: ). So although it is illegal to tape Eastenders and watch it the next day, people do it! It's only when these said people never buy the proper thing that I get annoyed. I see no wrong in "try before you buy" I mean even Tesco let you sample the cheese at the Deli :twisted:

On another note! Manga-Minx you said you like to watch you anime as it is released, bit by bit! My problem is, I have been into anime for so long now and have seen so much, I have turned to fansubs to have something new to watch! I can't always wait for an official release. I mean I am now on my 20 something viewing of Sailor Moon, so I love my oldies! but I'm like a sponge when it comes to anime :lol:

As I understand it, taping something to watch later yourself is not illegal, it only becomes illegal if you starting transferring ownership or duplicating that tape.

Red XIII said:
As I understand it, taping something to watch later yourself is not illegal, it only becomes illegal if you starting transferring ownership or duplicating that tape.

No, it's basically still illegal but allowed! as long as like you say, you don't sell copies of what you have taped!

Thread resuscitation (even returning to the original topic, too!):

Viz edits I"s, apparently. Anime On DVD's Chris Beveridge is not happy. Seems a tad over the top to me, but I do agree with his point. There's nothing wrong with a few nipples, after all.

Back