Anime vs Manga (rewrites)

Dave said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
A lot of anime outrun the manga they're based on and take the story in a new direction. I was wondering which anime you guys thought did it better than the manga (direct adaptations, or very close adaptations like Death Note don't count, since very little is changed outright, merely abridged/ a scene or two changed)

For me Trigun the anime was a lot better than the manga. The manga got so convoluted and frankly it lost its heart. I also preferred the GHGs not having backstories. Making them into tragic figures works for some things, but I think sometimes (and in the case of Trigun) villains that are just plain evil work better. Especially with Legato. He was awesome in the anime but he was almost pathetic at points in the manga.

(Also I found the manga a friggin pain to read, in black and white it's so hard to figure out what's going on in the action scenes >.<)

That's my pick. Do you guys have any? (I admit some of this may come down to whichever was seen/read first but I don't think that's entirely it, as I actually do prefer Hellsing Ultimate to the first Hellsing which I saw first, though maybe that's not the best example.

Not sure which of two version of Trigun I prefer. I would considered the Anime to be the more rounded off version of the two but it did lack some of the better characters and moments from the Manga. Both the Anime and Manga did in quite few case took the same moment improved upon it compared to one and other. I would consider the ending to the Manga a more conclusive ending as everything is nicely tied up compared to anime. Not just because it lack the material to fill in the story gaps but the anime end was a quite open fair.

I don't know about that... the manga ended with Vash fighting a load of random mercenaries (or something) still wanted for no good reason, and Meryl and Milly were news reporters now... who didn't really seem to care all that much about Vash =/ maybe it's just how I interpreted it, but it seemed both open and less fulfilling to me. Not to mention Knives' last minute heel-face turn

Last edited by a moderator:
Arbalest said:
Dave said:
Arbalest said:
@Dave: Alucard does, throughout the entirety of the manga. Sure we have the battles with Anderson as we all expect, but the rest is against vampires, in the way Kohta Hirano pictures them, of course. Keep in mind, the OVAs follow the manga to the T, a volume per more or less as the idea was to have ultimate tell the story of the manga instead of go for some filler style series like what was done originally.

They aren't real vampires but manufactured ones, the one at the end of OVA was ancient vampire that Alucard desired fighting

Just took a glance over a couple of bits in the manga and i'm gonna change what i said, it was pretty much bollocks, hah. Basically i was under the impression they where all vamps that he fought, but i was mistaken. In ultimate and the manga, He fights some vampires, but there is more than that in Millennium, since there is a Werewolf section as well. Not having vol 10, i can't say anything about the good old major though So yeah, there we go. Of course, don't read unless you are well up to date with Ultimate or the manga.

Finished reading the Manga ages ago but still have the last volume to get before my paperback version is complete. Still the vampire that fight against hellsing are not true vampire but cheap imitations nowhere near Alucard class. The closet we get is seras, while new to being vampire she get incredibly powerful once drinking human blood.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Dave said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
A lot of anime outrun the manga they're based on and take the story in a new direction. I was wondering which anime you guys thought did it better than the manga (direct adaptations, or very close adaptations like Death Note don't count, since very little is changed outright, merely abridged/ a scene or two changed)

For me Trigun the anime was a lot better than the manga. The manga got so convoluted and frankly it lost its heart. I also preferred the GHGs not having backstories. Making them into tragic figures works for some things, but I think sometimes (and in the case of Trigun) villains that are just plain evil work better. Especially with Legato. He was awesome in the anime but he was almost pathetic at points in the manga.

(Also I found the manga a friggin pain to read, in black and white it's so hard to figure out what's going on in the action scenes >.<)

That's my pick. Do you guys have any? (I admit some of this may come down to whichever was seen/read first but I don't think that's entirely it, as I actually do prefer Hellsing Ultimate to the first Hellsing which I saw first, though maybe that's not the best example.

Not sure which of two version of Trigun I prefer. I would considered the Anime to be the more rounded off version of the two but it did lack some of the better characters and moments from the Manga. Both the Anime and Manga did in quite few case took the same moment improved upon it compared to one and other. I would consider the ending to the Manga a more conclusive ending as everything is nicely tied up compared to anime. Not just because it lack the material to fill in the story gaps but the anime end was a quite open fair.

I don't know about that... the manga ended with Vash fighting a load of random mercenaries (or something) still wanted for no good reason, and Meryl and Milly were news reporters now... who didn't really seem to care all that much about Vash =/ maybe it's just how I interpreted it, but it seemed both open and less fulfilling to me. Not to mention Knives' last minute heel-face turn

The Manga ending is a lot more conclusive than Anime one. While its hard for the anime version to have all the mystery solved as I bet even the mangka of trigun: Yasuhiro Nightow didn't himself have all the answered worked out before the last episode were being made.

But at least in the Manga their was a conclusion to relationship between Vash & Knives, In the anime it ended with Vash just knocking out Knives. What's stopping knives once he wakes up repeating what he done in the past? Everything is resolved in the Manga version while nothing is in the Anime version. The Anime end with humans still screwed and the great potential of knives causing Vash heart break again.

Dave said:
Arbalest said:
Dave said:
Arbalest said:
@Dave: Alucard does, throughout the entirety of the manga. Sure we have the battles with Anderson as we all expect, but the rest is against vampires, in the way Kohta Hirano pictures them, of course. Keep in mind, the OVAs follow the manga to the T, a volume per more or less as the idea was to have ultimate tell the story of the manga instead of go for some filler style series like what was done originally.

They aren't real vampires but manufactured ones, the one at the end of OVA was ancient vampire that Alucard desired fighting

Just took a glance over a couple of bits in the manga and i'm gonna change what i said, it was pretty much bollocks, hah. Basically i was under the impression they where all vamps that he fought, but i was mistaken. In ultimate and the manga, He fights some vampires, but there is more than that in Millennium, since there is a Werewolf section as well. Not having vol 10, i can't say anything about the good old major though So yeah, there we go. Of course, don't read unless you are well up to date with Ultimate or the manga.

Finished reading the Manga ages ago but still have the last volume to get before my paperback version is complete. Still the vampire that fight against hellsing are not true vampire but cheap imitations nowhere near Alucard class. The closet we get is seras, while new to being vampire she get incredibly powerful once drinking human blood.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Dave said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

The Manga ending is a lot more conclusive than Anime one. While its hard for the anime version to have all the mystery solved as I bet even the mangka of trigun: Yasuhiro Nightow didn't himself have all the answered worked out before the last episode were being made.

But at least in the Manga their was a conclusion to relationship between Vash & Knives, In the anime it ended with Vash just knocking out Knives. What's stopping knives once he wakes up repeating what he done in the past? Everything is resolved in the Manga version while nothing is in the Anime version. The Anime end with humans still screwed and the great potential of knives causing Vash heart break again.

Hmm I still think the anime ties up quite nicely. By the end the manga just became a mess for me. It had lost all the sense of fun and just became a chore to read. Everyone began sprouting wings which didn't help make the action scenes any easier to read...

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Hmm I still think the anime ties up quite nicely. By the end the manga just became a mess for me. It had lost all the sense of fun and just became a chore to read. Everyone began sprouting wings which didn't help make the action scenes any easier to read...

How can the anime tie up the story so well when too little of back story is not revealed and technology is never fully explained. Humanity facing extinction with plants dying out and no word from earth. Worse of all Knives has only being temporary defeated and nothing is suggested he going to change his ways. It would be awful ending to have Knives simply change his way because he was defeated in battle. At least in the manga it showed he had a change heart not because of defeat or he changed his view on humanity but simply because he deep down loved his brother.

I don't think you should really read Trigun if looking fun happy story as it the opposite as its a very tragic and dark story indeed. I was actual quite surprised how it ended as I expected Vash & Livio both to die, it was quite nice to see such tragic story end such happy note and a complete conclusion aswell with everything tied up so well

Recently I though mangas were closer to the animes, especially the Gonzo ones, when before anime to manga adaptions were driving me mad! For example, the RG Veda adaption, gorgeous, but ended in a mess!! And the adaptions for novels are still pretty loose. And the Hellsing anime still struggled to keep in with the manga's amazing quality.

Dave said:
How can the anime tie up the story so well when too little of back story is not revealed and technology is never fully explained. Humanity facing extinction with plants dying out and no word from earth. Worse of all Knives has only being temporary defeated and nothing is suggested he going to change his ways. It would be awful ending to have Knives simply change his way because he was defeated in battle. At least in the manga it showed he had a change heart not because of defeat or he changed his view on humanity but simply because he deep down loved his brother.

Well, simply BECAUSE it didn't go into detail on the plants, it didn't need to tie it up. Plus the overall theme of the anime seems to be that humanity will survive, even without plants. I think the end where they break open the well is symbolic of that. As for Knives... it's simply open ended, he may not have a change of heart, but he can be imprisoned/w/e.

To counter your point I think him loving his brother being a convincing reason for him switching sides is pretty flimsy, considering he spent the entireity of the manga trying to kill him/ get others to kill him

Also, you say Trigun is tragic, but it doesn't really get dark till Maximum. The anime balanced the dark moments with the lighter moments pretty well, whereas the manga just dropped the comedy entirely, excepting the very end, by which point I felt it just trivialised the ending.

However, I think we're probably not going to agree =P so let's agree to disagree.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Dave said:

Well, simply BECAUSE it didn't go into detail on the plants, it didn't need to tie it up. Plus the overall theme of the anime seems to be that humanity will survive, even without plants. I think the end where they break open the well is symbolic of that. As for Knives... it's simply open ended, he may not have a change of heart, but he can be imprisoned/w/e.

To counter your point I think him loving his brother being a convincing reason for him switching sides is pretty flimsy, considering he spent the entireity of the manga trying to kill him/ get others to kill him

Also, you say Trigun is tragic, but it doesn't really get dark till Maximum. The anime balanced the dark moments with the lighter moments pretty well, whereas the manga just dropped the comedy entirely, excepting the very end, by which point I felt it just trivialised the ending.

However, I think we're probably not going to agree =P so let's agree to disagree.

I won't argue with all of it as some are just opinion which can go either way, but I will have to take you up on a few of them

Put Knives in prison? he has near god like power, their no way they could ever imprison knives. The only way to stop him would be to make him change his mind or have him die. Neither of them ever happened in the anime which is massive flaw in the series as things will just repeat in cycles until Knives is stopped or Vash fails to stop him.

Knives didn't switch sides, even when he died he probably still hated humanity till the end. Knives goal was never to kill Vash but to punish him, with their power there was no way a mere human could ever defeat either of them. Its quite clever as knives was by sending the Gung-Ho Guns to attack him just to show him again the nasty side of humanity. Trying change Vash perception of human to why is he bothering to save them.

Doesn't get really dark until maximum? Well let see here:

1.)Vash losing Rem and finding out its knives fault.
2.)Vash being forced to fight his brother knives.
3.)Wolfwood dying partly because of Vash, As he wouldn't have died if didn't follow Vash pacifism way.
4.) Been forced to fight the Gung-Ho Guns and even when trying to not kill them they are killed anyway for failing or they commit sucide.
5.) Forced to kill legato when it went against everything it stand for.
6.) Causing those massive explosion with killed thousands.

If don't consider those events not tragic, you have had hard life ;)

I found it great ending as said previously with the tone of the series I though Vash & co were seriously going to die. It rare with any form of story that you don't know roughly how it going to end with trigun it was nothing that I excepted, which was so great about it.

Back