Anime UK News Review of 2023 Part 1: Anime

My top five 2023 series in no particular order:
Frieren: Beyond Journey's End
The Apothecary Diaries
Arknights: Perish in Frost
Undead Murder Farce
BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!!

BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!! easily takes the spot for my anime of the year. A great experiment for the franchise that explores a more serious tone compared to previous entries. Sanzigen's CG work is fantastic as ever, especially during performances which are shown in full for the first time. Tomori's songs are self-described as "shouts from the heart" and that's evident in MyGO's raw music and character development. These girls are all lost in some way and their clashing personalities make them one of the more interesting groups in the franchise. Looking forward to seeing their rival group Ave Mujica in their upcoming series next year.

Other works I'm looking forward to seeing next year include:
Delicious in Dungeon
Bang Brave Bang Bravern
Metallic Rouge
Jellyfish Can't Swim in the Night
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 3
The Idolm@ster Shiny Colors
Beastars Final Season
Girls Band Cry
Kaiju No. 8

Last edited:
Now I've finished, nearly all (Undead Unluck still to finish) of the new shows from last year and only a few sequels left (I generally try to put new stuff on my list unless outstanding, see the one sequel in the list), I thought I'd finally post my top ten.
  1. The Apothecary Diaries
  2. Frieren
  3. Vinland Saga s2
  4. The Dangers in My Heart
  5. Tomo-chan is a Girl
  6. Insomniacs After School
  7. Skip and Loafer
  8. Oshi No Ko
  9. Undead Murder Farce
  10. Mononogatari (technically both seasons)
The top 3 were my 9s for the year and the rest 8s. 4-7 would probably shift around on a different day, but all consistently good throughout the rest have their dips and my other 8s that missed out Zom 100, My Happy Marriage, and Hell's Paradise all started great, but dipped towards the end. Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro s2 was also an 8, but was a sequel.

Back