Anime UK News quizzes Rapture on new TV show Anime Nation

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
With RaptureTV's immediate future on Sky Digital now confirmed as safe, Anime UK News recently pitched a few questions over to them about their all new weekly anime themed TV show "Anime Nation".
  • What encouraged RaptureTV to produce Anime Nation? Anime is still a fairly niche market in the UK, so investing in such a programme could be seen as a gamble.

RaptureTV: I think the popularity of Anime is growing and growing, certainly FMA (Fullmetal Alchemist), Wolf's Rain, and Mezzo DSA which are on our channel have been a big success for us and our viewers. Anime-Nation which is made for them and what they're into, might be a gamble when compared to more popular subjects, but we are willing to take that risk for our viewers.
Click here to read more, including the news that the first few episodes of Anime Nation will feature interviews with American dub voice actors Greg Ayres and Monical Rial.

Short interview with Jason Wiltshire of RaptureTV concerning Anime Nation.

My name is Jason [Wiltshire] and I'm the producer of Anime-Nation, I'll try to answer your questions.

What encouraged RaptureTV to produce Anime Nation? Anime is still a fairly niche market in the UK, so investing in such a programme could be seen as a gamble.

Jason: I think the popularity of Anime is growing and growing, certainly FMA (Fullmetal Alchemist), Wolf's Rain, and Mezzo DSA which are on our channel have been a big success for us and our viewers. Anime-Nation which is made for them and what they're into, might be a gamble when compared to more popular subjects, but we are willing to take that risk for our viewers.

What is the general programme format of Anime Nation? Please enlighten us as to what to expect from the first couple of episodes and when it will debut on Rapture?

Jason: It's hard to confirm an exact TX date at the moment as we are still finalizing content and its up to the wire to make sure we get the best news - first half of October is a good bet at the moment. First couple of shows? Anime and Manga reviews from journalists, an interview with Monical Rial, a feature on Amecon, a preview of a forthcoming DVD release and Anime-Nations very own kick ass cartoon.

Who is presenting Anime Nation and how did you find them? In other words, are they naturally anime fans?

Jason: No comment yet...an Anime fan would be great, but a brilliant presenter would be better, we already have anime fans on the production team, one of whom you'll know if you're a regular at a certain comic shop in central London..

Selected questions submitted by forum users

Will the series focus on the UK market or will it turn its eyes more towards Japan and/or the US? If it is UK focused will it have any features on the latest anime in Japan?

Jason: Initially UK and US focus, however we'll be reviewing the latest manga straight from Japan. Of course, if anyone wants to pay for me top fly out to Japan...

Any exclusives lined up? Will there be any features on anime voice actors?

Jason: Monical Rial, and Greg Ayres, also a seperate interview compilation about getting into voice acting and VA work as a job, plus more to come.

It sounds like it will be an interesting programme, though should be interesting to see how they settle into a cosistent formula without running out of material. Obviously the anime community isn't as fast moving as its gaming eqivalent, especially if there won't be much of a focus on the Japanese side of things, so I expect we'll see a gradual shift.

Also sounds like they'll be going with a "good" presenter rather than an anime fan - perhaps that's a good thing, though I'd love to see a few otaku rants on there. I'll be honest and say I care not for the dubber interviews, but anything is better than nothing.

...Anime-Nation which is made for them and what they're into, might be a gamble when compared to more popular subjects, but we are willing to take that risk for our viewers.
I like him already. :)

It could turn out to be a massive flop but they seem to have their priorities right and are at least willing to make the effort. I'd be interested to see who they pick as a presenter. Maybe they'll have a slot for viewers' letters to supply the otaku rantage...

I'm looking forward to see how they handle their reveiws. Hopefully they'll view both the language tracks for DVDs, and comment on both fairly.

Yes great news for Rapture TV :D

Jason: Monical Rial, and Greg Ayres, also a seperate interview compilation about getting into voice acting and VA work as a job, plus more to come.

I will like to hear Greg Ayres. He has been recently doing the voice overs for Negi in Negima!

I thought Anime Nation was starting at the 25th of september?

shh227 said:
Yes great news for Rapture TV :D

I will like to hear Greg Ayres. He has been recently doing the voice overs for Negi in Negima!

I thought Anime Nation was starting at the 25th of september?
From what he said on the interview they are pushing it as close to the wire as possible, which means that 25th September is an outside possibility but may not be absolute at the time.

Greg Ayres does seem like a fun bloke from what I saw of him at AmeCon. His apology for the "Little Lord Fontleroy" (which he blamed on the director) accent for Negi on the first few epsiodes and subsequent rushing from the room brought a smile to many a face at the showing of that anime :).

Yay, can't wait for the Monica Rial interview, she's one of my favorite voice actresses, ( tied with Hilary Haag - I dunno, I just really like their voices. :D ). And she also comes across as a bit nutty on the Burst Angel commentary tracks, so... My kind of gal then :p

Back