Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Studio Pierrot

• Studio 4°C

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aion said:
The back-story ends a few episodes later iirc...not sure when exactly. I said 14 because EP14 is the highlight of the series.

Ah i see, well i knew the back story part was the majority of the show, just wasn't sure when it crossed back over into the present

I'm not sure, but it's either A-1 Pictures(?) or Madhouse. Madhouse due to making my favourite series (especially the animation in the 2nd death note op!) and A-1 Pictures because of the incredible animation in Kannagi

ayase said:
Let me put it another way - it was Yōsuke Kuroda who wrote the screenplay for Gungrave, and he's not attached to Madhouse. So if the story was good but the animation crap I would say that would make them a bad studio and him a good writer, but if it was the other way around the reverse would be true (not a comment on the series, just an example).

Ah, I wasn't aware someone from outside Madhouse came up with the anime story - I assumed it was someone (or a team) of writers within Madhouse who did so. Assumptions are bad.

There's more to an anime than animation: art consistency, 'camera' angles, music selection and placement, special effects, voice actor selection, colour usage and pacing all come into it. If an anime gets a tick from me in most of those areas, then the animation studio behind it have done a good job. Madhouse seem to always do a very good job..until the end.

An easy to remember example of the pacing aspect is Death Note. Madhouse kept all of the first half of the manga, yet they sped through the last half. Why? Because the first half flowed well and the last half moved at snails pace. They made a risky call by cutting so much - fans don't like seeing studios butcher stories - but what they did ended up improving the story, allowing the last half of the anime to flow at lightning pace without losing anything.

Going back to Kurozuka, which I mentioned briefly above, Madhouse have put on a wonderful display of the varied angles and special effects they use to add something to scenes. In Kurozuka there's a sort of 'bullet time for vampires' thing that occurs, and when it occurs the colours all change to a mix of red, yellow and green to highlight usage of special powers. Since manga is colourless, this, like the different coloured hair of key characters in Death Note when the characters are thinking, was obviously something Madhouse came up with on their own since they wanted to add to the source material; not just copy it as best they could. The effort they put in makes me admire them after watching poor anime adaptations like Naruto.

Madhouse openings are mainly just bad J-rock songs accompanied with random moving images/stills of characters which have various different colours flowing through them at once. Though I still like them anyway.

gainax - 2
madhouse - 2
bones -1
manglobe inc - 2
studio deen - 1
olm - 1
gonzo - 1
This is what I got from my top ten list but I have to say I don't really take into account the studio before I watch a show. FLCL wins my vote for gainax

I couldn't really choose one of them as a favourite to be honest, since each have the merits. KyoAni i like, i realise a lot of people won't go near it because of its fairly well known series like Kanon and more recently, Clannad, but i do like them, Full Metal Panic was probably the series which would stand apart from the rest they've made, mainly because its not focusing on romance, and was more action orientated, well with The Second Raid anyway. Animation quality though is top notch.

Bones have their fair share of good series too, Soul Eater being their most recent, is brilliant, they've not strayed away from the manga at all yet which is always a plus, and despite it always being fairly comical, it doesn't go over the top and can still be serious as well.

Gonzo as well, did the original FMP series and i enjoyed that, ok it wasn't as great as its later ones, but it was good enough, and kept to the light novels, both main story and side story ones, only really adding one small arc to it. Animation was fine too, so can't complain.

Back