Anime Recommendations - Mystery & Thriller, Crime and/or Detective anime?

citlecrewolf

Completely Average High School Student
Hi all,

I've been seraching this part of the forum but can't find anything yet... hopefully this is the right area to ask :oops:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for adult anime based around mysteries, thrillers, crime, and/or detective stories?

I have Amazon Prime so will have a look on there and see what comes up as well as another search in the forums.

Thank you 🫀

Looking at the list of Amazon shows:
Babylon, Banana Fish, Happy Sugar Life, Inuyashiki: Last Hero, Kokkoku: Moment by Moment, pet, and Tokyo Ghoul.
I wouldn't call any of them masterpieces, but I enjoyed them for the most part.

The best show on Amazon is easily Vinland Saga, but that's a historical story. They also have s3 of Psycho-Pass, season 1 is very good, but is on Crunchyroll.

Looking at the list of Amazon shows:
Babylon, Banana Fish, Happy Sugar Life, Inuyashiki: Last Hero, Kokkoku: Moment by Moment, pet, and Tokyo Ghoul.
I wouldn't call any of them masterpieces, but I enjoyed them for the most part.

The best show on Amazon is easily Vinland Saga, but that's a historical story. They also have s3 of Psycho-Pass, season 1 is very good, but is on Crunchyroll.

Hello,

I don't mind historical, so I'll have a look at Vinland Saga.

I've seen some of the anime you listed, but I've never heard of Pet or Kokkoku: Moment by Moment. I'll look those up too.

I really enjoyed Kokkoku. My favourite mystery type show is Ghost Hunt which obviously leans into spooky stuff and most cases are 3-4 episodes long. I also really liked Vatican Miracle Examiner for similar reasons though it's a little OTT. In a more sci fi setting Astra Lost In Space is an excellent show with plenty of mysteries to be unravelled. For a cyberpunk crime setting the obvious ones are the orginal Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex series and Psycho Pass which are both amazing.

No idea what platforms any of those are on but they are all great.

For movies the 2 best anime thrillers I've seen are Perfect Blue (psychological thriller) and Genocidal Organ (action thriller). 2 absolutely phenomenal films.

Unfortunately, Amazon Prime's range of anime titles is quite limited in general - anything I would have thought of on there has already been mentioned. B: The Beginning came to mind, but that's on Netflix.

I think Monster is probably still the best detective serial to get an anime adaptation, but sadly any home releases for that would be long out of print by now.

Amazon dabbled in anime for a couple of years, but it's not the best place to go if you want a good selection. On Crunchyroll there's Gosick (alt. history detective series), Raven of the Inner Palace (historical fantasy mystery series), Case Closed (detective series aimed at a young audience), Boogiepop and Others (supernatural-horror mystery), In/Spectre (another supernatural-horror mystery), Ghost Hunt (another supernatural-horror mystery) and probably more besides.

If you skip all of the intermittent junior detectives episodes, Case Closed is great even for older fans and surprisingly gritty at times (I don't mind the kid episodes but they're definitely playing to a family audience). I agree that Crunchyroll is definitely the place to go for a wide selection, and will add Moriarty The Patriot (Sherlock Holmes themed), Millionaire Detective (a classic), Pretty Boy Detective Club (more surreal, silly but beautiful and based around mysteries), Double Decker (again, more fantasy themes but it's still using a cop show formula throughout), Holmes of Kyoto (mysteries). There are loads, and to echo previous posts Psycho Pass is pretty much a must-see.

R

I know nothing about what anime is on Amazon Prime, but I'm sure its fairly limited,probably even moreso than NetFlix. You're probably best off If you can access some anime streaming channels like Crunchyroll or HiDive, or buy physical media, then you'd have a much better selection.

Garden of Sinners, Beautiful Bones, Psychic Detective Yakumo, Ghost Hunt, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, and Witch Hunter Robin are some of my favorite Mystery anime, and all get into some spooky and/or paranormal stuff. Blood-C, Shiki, and Another could also be considered mystery anime - but if you like spooky, then they all get pretty wicked with spookyness.

And for a Crime anime, I don't think you can go wrong with Psycho-Pass. Then of course there's the very recently released Moriarty the Patriot, which is a telling of Sherlock Holmes mysteries from the viewpoint of the "bad" guy, Moriarty. I guess both of those and Holmes of Kyoto were already mentioned. I'll also second Gosick as a good crime mystery series - that one just gets better and better every episode, especially the second half.

Last edited:
I know nothing about what anime is on Amazon Prime, but I'm sure its fairly limited,probably even moreso than NetFlix. You're probably best off If you can access some anime streaming channels like Crunchyroll or HiDive, or buy physical media, then you'd have a much better selection.

Garden of Sinners, Beautiful Bones, Psychic Detective Yakumo, Ghost Hunt, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, and Witch Hunter Robin are some of my favorite Mystery anime, and all get into some spooky and/or paranormal stuff. Blood-C, Shiki, and Another could also be considered mystery anime - but if you like spooky, then they all get pretty wicked with spookyness.

And for a Crime anime, I don't think you can go wrong with Psycho-Pass. Then of course there's the very recently released Moriarty the Patriot, which is a telling of Sherlock Holmes mysteries from the viewpoint of the "bad" guy, Moriarty. I guess both of those and Holmes of Kyoto were already mentioned. I'll also second Gosick as a good crime mystery series - that one just gets better and better every episode, especially the second half.
Thanks @Girls with Guns, I'll add those to my list :)

Back