Anime on VHS but not on DVD

Ian Wolf

Harem King
AUKN Staff
I was wondering how many anime titles have been released in the UK on VHS but have never been released on DVD or Blu-Ray. I know that Tokyo Babylon has been released on VHS by Manga Entertainment, but I don't think they released on DVD over here. I think it might be on a Region 0 DVD in the USA mind.

Legend of the Four Kings (released on DVD by CPM in the US)
Junk Boy
Cyber City Oedo 808 (released by CPM in the US, Madman in AU)
Genocyber (got an incomplete release on VHS here cos of BBFC, released in its entirety on DVD by CPM in US)
Wings of Mayonnaise (still waiting for DVD and BD in the UK, BD and DVD by Bandai and Sentai in the US, DVD by Madman in AU)

God, Junk Boy. That's not one I've heard mentioned for many a year. Perhaps not without good reason.

If you're counting stuff that got an R1 release, the list could be quite long, but I think there's quite a few of the old oavs that Pioneer released here which never made it to dvd in the states either. Kishin Heidan, Scramble Wars and Genesis Surviver (sic) Gaiarth spring to mind.

Fly Peek, Slow Step, Hanappe Bazooka...there are so many that it's hard to remember them all ^^;

R

animefreak17 said:
Bloody hell ..............those are some anime that you don't hear very often .......hope they get released on DVD one day

Well I would certainly think that something like Tokyo Babylon would be worthy of a re-release given that it was rather important in terms of the development of Clamp. Maybe it might be something for MVM to pick up as they released the TV series of X, which some consider to be Babylon's sequel.

Just Passing Through said:
Legend of the Four Kings (released on DVD by CPM in the US)
The US DVD release had all the original material (opening and ending songs along with the original opening and ending animation) that was removed from the four kings version and has a completely different dub.

I know the original Guyver series came out here on VHS, don't think it came out here on DVD. I know it came out on DVD in the US as I have them myself.

I have the following on VHS. Interesting seeing them all together as it shows the type of series that were being licensed back then.

First glance 3x3 Eyes, M.D. Geist, Armitage III episode version, Genocyber, Hannape Bazooka, Laughing Target, Shutendoji, Tokyo Revelation and Ultimate Teacher never made it to DVD over here. Not sure about AD Police and Wicked City/Monster City.

I believe they've said in the past that most/all of the rights have reverted back to the original owners by now, and they aren't considered profitable potential license rescues. Or something to that effect. I upgraded most of my VHS tapes to DVD by grabbing versions from the US and anywhere else which had a local release so I no longer have the original tapes :(

R

In my own collection:

Cardcaptors. Contender released 8 tapes (4 double sets) and four of these were dumped onto two DVDs.
Digimon. More of Digimon Adventure has now been released on DVD than VHS, however there was one tape for Digimon Adventure 02 and two for Digimon Tamers which never had DVD versions.
Kishin Corps. Picked up one volume at random from a pile of dust in Forbidden Planet and never watched it (I just wanted to own something from Pioneer UK). They also had a couple of random Kimagure Orange Road tapes which I left to rot.

God, Junk Boy. That's not one I've heard mentioned for many a year. Perhaps not without good reason.

I remember it having pretty inviting cover art though, at least for the youngster that I was at the time.

My VHS collection has been whittled down to:

The Adventures of Kotetsu
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge
Magical Twilight
End of Summer

This despite the fact that I've long since disposed of my VCR.

I was getting ready to say Red Hawk Weapon of Death, but apparently it's been released. And I'm glad too, the Koreans really out anime'd the Japanese with that badboy. A top 5 anime for sure. I need to rewatch it.

Back