Anime on Electric Sofa

Paradox295

Pokémon Master
Can't believe this... :D

Thanks for your email.

Unfortunately we won't be launching the channels on Virgin Media, as we've been advised that there is no spare capacity for them to add any new channels.

Anime will be shown on the channels from quarter 2 or 3

I hope this answers your questions - the latest channel news will be posted on our website, as well as our Facebook page, which you're more than welcome to join

Virgin: Screw +1 channels, we need anime and late night chat shows :p

Quarter 2 or 3? So I assume they mean Spring or Summer then. This is certainly pleasing news, and I hope it is a success. Thanks for keeping on them Paradox, and sharing your replies :)

King Jimmeh said:
Quarter 2 or 3? So I assume they mean Spring or Summer then. This is certainly pleasing news, and I hope it is a success. Thanks for keeping on them Paradox, and sharing your replies :)
Yeah, probably sometime between April-September.
The channels were meant to launch in November so, I have no idea what they're gonna do. That and the channels are gonna be run by the people that used to own Film24 XD
Stuart-says-yes said:
Maybe this is the exciting thing Kaze were planning this year, after all I assume it would receive some sort of backing from some sort of distributor in this region.
Hm, I doubt it, since they would probably go to VIZ/Funi/Bandai directly. I'm not 100% sure, I wanna ask Jerome, but probably too long and complicated to ask on twitter XD

Anyway, since I got replies from Five and Electric Sofa, I might email Turner this week :p

Paradox295 said:
Hm, I doubt it, since they would probably go to VIZ/Funi/Bandai directly. I'm not 100% sure, I wanna ask Jerome, but probably too long and complicated to ask on twitter XD
Kaze are Viz Media Europe/ Shogakukan-Shueisha Holdings. They should have access to whoever has TV rights for thier shows fairly easily.
FUNi/Bandai only part-own the English dubs, the video and original audio would be held by a Japanese company still. They shouldn't have UK TV rights, but would need paying for the dub, I think.

Reaper, you should just maintain a Wiki on absolutely everything.

Also, Electric Sofa is an awful channel name, no? Awful name for anything other than an electric sofa really. And we have a freaking channel called Dave. Not to mention this anime is likely to be Pokémon or something?

Reaper gI said:
Paradox295 said:
Kaze are Viz Media Europe/ Shogakukan-Shueisha Holdings. They should have access to whoever has TV rights for thier shows fairly easily.
FUNi/Bandai only part-own the English dubs, the video and original audio would be held by a Japanese company still. They shouldn't have UK TV rights, but would need paying for the dub, I think.
Oh, right cool, that's good to know :D
Jayme said:

Also, Electric Sofa is an awful channel name, no? Awful name for anything other than an electric sofa really. And we have a freaking channel called Dave.
I think the company's name is Electric Sofa and the 3 channels are: Film GB, SofaScreen and Sofa Stars. Still awful names, tbh

Paradox295 said:
Reaper gI said:
Paradox295 said:
Oh, right cool, that's good to know :D
Jayme said:

Also, Electric Sofa is an awful channel name, no? Awful name for anything other than an electric sofa really. And we have a freaking channel called Dave.
I think the company's name is Electric Sofa and the 3 channels are: Film GB, SofaScreen and Sofa Stars. Still awful names, tbh

Not as awful as SyFy though I will say

Jayme said:
I believe he stores it at www.google.com :p

And yes, terrible name. And also far less exciting development than people are making out, surely. They won't put anything on TV that you don't already own on DVD, no?

Jayme said:

Also, Electric Sofa is an awful channel name, no? Awful name for anything other than an electric sofa really. And we have a freaking channel called Dave. Not to mention this anime is likely to be Pokémon or something?
Pokémon still gets shown in the kids section, so any 4Kids dubs are doubtful. I imagine it'll be shows similar to Anime Central, but hopefully they go with the Anime Network type scheduling of a weekend block, rather than just a new episode every night.

Ooooooo now im excited ! :D Also, I doubt they'll just put Ghibli stuff on, Film4 already show their films now and then, I think they mean anime like Death Note, FMA, things like that, but thats just my opinion ( or more like what I hope for :p )

Mo3ooo said:
Ooooooo now im excited ! :D Also, I doubt they'll just put Ghibli stuff on, Film4 already show their films now and then, I think they mean anime like Death Note, FMA, things like that, but thats just my opinion ( or more like what I hope for :p )

Could be, but it wouldn't fit their channels
Film GB - British Stuff
Sofa Stars - Celebrity Stuff
Sofa Screen - Foriegn, artsy stuff

Which is made me think of Ghibli stuff on Sofa Screen

Stuart-says-yes said:
ilmaestro said:
Jayme said:
I believe he stores it at www.google.com :p

And yes, terrible name. And also far less exciting development than people are making out, surely. They won't put anything on TV that you don't already own on DVD, no?

Anime on TV is better then no anime at all surely?
I guess I have a vague sense of it being "a good thing" in general, but I don't think it will benefit me directly is what I am basically saying.

I don't think there are many people on this forum who actually watch TV, so I do find it a bit weird that there's always such a grassroots effort to get it on the box.

I think its mostly about getting it on TV for other people to watch rather than because they intend to watch it themselves..
Although that might change if a block grew and got something beyond the few highly popular shows that are likely to be aired on a TV anime block/channel

Hey, I sent an email to them and got some answers back

I heard an email where yu said that anime was going to be shown on your channel, if this is false you don't have to read the rest of this
I'd just like to ask a few questions, I'm sure you can't say that much

Wohat channel would this likely to be on Sofa Stars or Sofa Sceen?
   SOFA SCREEN

Will this be movies like ghibli or more series oriented?
   MOVIES NOT SERIES

Will the seires be targeted at children (pokemon,beyblade
or will it be aimed at adults, or a mixture?
  ADULT

What is the estimated time in the year for the channel and anime showing?
   AUGUST 2011 ONWARDS

What is the likely time slot for this show, (im guessin 1:00am for about two hours)
11.00 PM - ONCE EVERY 2 WEEKS FOR 2 HOURS INITIALLY, HOWEVER IF RATINGS ARE GOOD THIS WILL BECOME WEEKLY

Im guessing it will most likely be english dubs, but will english subs over the japanese language be used?
ENGLISH DUBS

Was this the channels idea or did a partner come to work with you e.g. Viz, Kaze, Manga UK
CHANNELS IDEA

^ Is that the actual word-for-word reply you got? Bit discourteous of them to reply with such curt answers in all caps.

I didn't mind the email, i got the answers I asked just hope we might get something like Akira, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell or any Satosji Kon movie

Bit disappointed about no series, but hope there may be chance of a block in the future

Back