Anime on Demand - Good news and bad news

kaze_andrew said:
Mohawk52 said:
I expected this, but I never used it anyway so no loss to me. All I can say is good luck with that.

Out of curiosity - is there anything that would tempt you into using it? Never hurts to ask :).

Andrew
You asked so I'll tell you for naught. The number one hurdle is that it's a streaming video on my rather old and ancient single core PC. Too much freezing and jumping ahead. Second if that weren't the case; if it would allow me to record it so I could watch it when it is convenient to me. Thirdly because it's on a PC I can not watch it on my tele. Yes I know there are systems to allow that, but I'm not your average anime fan. My money has to support a family and all the trimmings and trappings that go with that, and investing a few thousand just so I can watch cartoons on me tele off the intarweb is not on the top 10 priority list of essentials for life and living, especially when the world is teetering on the edge of another global depression. Most of it is complete shyte quality wise anyway so for a grumpy old git like me who's eyesight is failing it's English dubbed DVD's on the CRT, or naught. Better the shyte I'm use to, after all it was state-of-the-art in it's day. Unless of course I hit the Lottery for a million, or 2 then maybe I'll think about it when I return from Japan. BTW I'm still squeaking in the ears of the Big Giant Heads. :wink:

revertedtozero said:
I don't know how big the market is for anime in Italy, but over here in the UK it's very small.

Looking at the sale numbers by Manga UK (which are written on another thread), the Italian market for new anime seems pretty similar with the current state of things.

revertedtozero said:
The only way an anime can make it big here is if it were a Merchandise Driven show, A critically acclaimed work, A Studio Ghibli Film or anything that's gotten into mainstream pop culture. I mean, anyone here remember Anime Central?

I don't have a direct experience about Anime Central (obviously), I can only read on wiki how it worked.
There are 2 big differences with a hypothetical TV channel run by Kazé (I'm just flying with imagination here, writing what I would try to do if I were in Kazé shoes):
- broadcasting series only from 9pm to 6am is not the wisest choice, you loose a lot of exposure to potential fans not broadcasting during afternoon... if an anime publisher wants to create its own TV channel, then the "only" way to go is 24/24;
- the TV channel should just have to break even, turning a profit would not be crucial, since it would be just a big scale advertisement tool for Kazé products.
I mean, if it's working in Italy I don't see why it should not work in UK. I need to point out that the DVDs by this Italian publisher totally suck: half quality if compared to UK DVDs, and double price (on average) if compared to UK DVDs. Plus Kazé would have the advantage of being in more markets, so using an approach similar to Eurosport would help them to save on costs.

Teo

Project-2501 said:
Oh how fun, I've forgotten my AoD password and the link to get a new password doesn't work :)
Have you used it since the migration? (Your password fro the old site wouldn't work anyway since ANN weren't about to hand over everyone's passwords)

Not sure if this has already been mentioned elsewhere on the forums (sorry if it has), but NEO has reported three titles which AoD will be showning next year: Black Rock Shooter, Kingdom and Tales of Xillia.

Oh good, I wanted to see Kingdom, and I'll probably give BRS a look even if I'm not really expecting to adore it. I hope they get some more things as well, perhaps including Thermae Romae :D

R

Ian Wolf said:
Not sure if this has already been mentioned elsewhere on the forums (sorry if it has), but NEO has reported three titles which AoD will be showning next year: Black Rock Shooter, Kingdom and Tales of Xillia.
And out of them three, I only know 1 and the other 2 - I can't seem to find on ANN.

Hopefully they have more otherwise this is disappointing even with Mirai Nikki and Persona 4 (?).

Black Rock Shooter might be a watch but i'm not willing to give it much of a chance right now.

Edit: https://twitter.com/#!/animeondemand/st ... 0872873985

Ian Wolf said:

I'm not sure where this information came out from but all three are incorrect...

Winter's a quieter season for us due to content - Spring will be likely a pretty interesting one though...

Andrew

Rui said:
Darn it, NEO!

Will we be getting any announcements at all for winter, Andrew? :)

R

Yes - there'll be at least one :)! Long story short - there's not a great deal of attractive content this season so making cases to add beyond what we had was tough.

BRS is one I'd have liked but the strategy for it didn't gel with what we could have offered sadly.

Not a fascinating tale but doesn't impact heavily longer-term :).

And this'll be your great getting people to sign up for subscription plan how, exactly?

I'm not seeing it (If you're not getting BRS, at least that has the Notiamana name to it, if nothing else. I was under the impression the TOX anime rumours were quashed, last I head of it being this (ANN) and bugger knows what the hell "Kingdom" is, it sounding more like the generic name of one of those series you'd see on Sky Atlantic HD more than anywhere else) come together here.

What I'm saying is, that "one" announcement better knock it straight out of the park or AOD is some serious dog mess and, honestly, I'm not seeing something that isn't already accounted for by way of the people behind it being jerks (Nisemonogarti), you disavowing it right now (RBS) or CR already having it (Space Pirates).

Keeping in mind that people who had nothing to latch on to from last season or have just come to know of AOD this season (probably due to some advertising? maybe? no?), will probably not be willing to watch Episode 1 of Persona and then have to jump all the way to episode 15 to watch that FTA. So midseason interest has been effectually been thrown out of the playbook here.

kaze_andrew said:
Ian Wolf said:

I'm not sure where this information came out from but all three are incorrect...

Winter's a quieter season for us due to content - Spring will be likely a pretty interesting one though...

Andrew
No Black Rock Shooter? *sadface*

@Conan - We don't really know the details about AnimeOnDemand and Black Rock Shooter. From what it sounds like, they did look into it and for whatever reason it wasn't viable. Andrew just said he would have liked it, so there must have been a big reason why they couldn't.

I just hope Crunchyroll announce it then. I just saw the trailer and it does look really good.

Joshawott said:
kaze_andrew said:
Ian Wolf said:

Andrew
No Black Rock Shooter? *sadface*

@Conan - We don't really know the details about AnimeOnDemand and Black Rock Shooter. From what it sounds like, they did look into it and for whatever reason it wasn't viable. Andrew just said he would have liked it, so there must have been a big reason why they couldn't.

I just hope Crunchyroll announce it then. I just saw the trailer and it does look really good.
Or Funi can get it and we can pretty much be back to square one with Noitamana.

That'd be awesome(!)

ilmaestro said:
Sad times for no BRS simulcast. :(

ConanThe3rd said:
And this'll be your great getting people to sign up for subscription plan how, exactly?
Did anyone ever tell you you're slightly confrontational?
Better Dead than red.

I'd rather stop watching anime than have to be a yes man to every company that screwed around peddling out half truths and incompetence (both of which probably don't account for this situation, being fair on Kazé). If something is crap, I'm going to say it's crap every single time because to do otherwise would be lying.

ilmaestro said:
I'm not sure that not-answering my question via the use of Nazi propaganda is entirely... oh, heh, I guess you did answer it.
That's your retort. Use the phrase I used to describe my unwillingness to accept the current situation (as well as any situation where agreeing to a bad idea is a violation of my personal ethos) and take it back to it's historical origin to ignore the second part of the statement.

You, sir, are a card.

If you, you personally, believe that not getting a headlining show for the first season AOD has gone subscriber only and, on top of that, not getting this season's noted Noitamina show (Never-mind the fact that it's pretty much going to be what Backyard Science was to Toonami UK for the strand) when AOD has a noted history of doing so is going to provide a solid basis for AOD going forward then you are also a naïve fool and I can only but hope for your continued health in spite of that.

Or, if you want me to use a more contemporary phrase that might not offend your narrow mind; "You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity."

Back