Anime on Demand announces three more streaming series

devilrules666

Combat Butler
As expected, the week has ended with a bang from new UK-centric streaming anime outfit Anime on Demand, with the announcement of three new streaming licenses from Japan's spring 2011 line-up:

- First out of the bag, as anticipated earlier this week, is Steins;Gate, the spiritual successor to late 2008's Chaos;Head and an adaptation of Nitroplus and 5pb's second visual novel outing. The series is set in the Akihabara of summer 2010 amidst a group of friend who have somehow adapted their microwave so that it can send text messages into the past, leading to them attracting their interest of a nefarious group named SERN who have been doing time travel research of their own.

The series will be broadcast over twenty-four episodes, and thus will be streamed on Anime on Demand across their spring and summer seasons.

- Next up we have is the twenty-six episode series Nichijou, Kyoto Animation's slightly surreal comedy manga adaptation which is also streaming under the name of My Ordinary Life via Crunchyroll.

- Finally we have Deadman Wonderland, another series also announced by Crunchyroll already. This spring season anime explores a future Tokyo in the aftermath of a massive earthquake that has left it in ruins via Ganta, a boy sentenced to death but allowed to roam within the video game-esque world presented to him in the form of the Deadman Wonderland prison. Can Ganta prove his innocence from the mass murder of which he's been accused?

http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/Anime_ ... eries.html

no subbing for the cut price for me then, nout i'm interested in, though tbf, AoD will only really interest me if they start streaming licenced shows

Three thumbs up from me in terms of the series themselves, but it's not really as exciting when they announce stuff that CR also has.

Ian Wolf said:
Nichijou sounds interesting. I'll probably watch that if I subscribe to the site.
Don't subscribe for the shows that are also on CR.
CRs video quality and player are vastly better.

For me they only have 1 show I'm not already paying CR for.

Reaper gI said:
Ian Wolf said:
Nichijou sounds interesting. I'll probably watch that if I subscribe to the site.

For me they only have 1 show I'm not already paying CR for.

OK, thanks for the advice.

Reaper gI said:
Ian Wolf said:
Or, alternatively, support the new UK venture and give them some incentive to keep on improving the service. CR was *ass* when it first started.

ilmaestro said:
Reaper gI said:
Ian Wolf said:
Or, alternatively, support the new UK venture and give them some incentive to keep on improving the service. CR was *ass* when it first started.

This is a pretty fair attitude to take as well :). Yes things aren't 100% when they launch - but the whole point is that if we don't get your feedback and comments then it never *will* be 100% what you want :).

That's why you'll find me at pretty much all the major anime events this year talking to folk about it as well as working behind the scenes heading things up there.

Something to keep in mind there - expect as the seasons progress this year too far more exclusive content as things grow too :).

What else would you guys like to see come in too in order to tempt you over - figured I'd ask while I'm here?

Andrew,
Kaze / Anime on Demand

Needs more exclusives to tempt me. I usually try and support the UK industry, if it is near the same price for almost the same product, but as it stands, I can get more choice for my money from CR, including a lot of older stuff.

I know that having a library comparative to CR isn't possible, so if you want to change near the same price, you need to have more and/or better exclusives.

Reaper gI said:
Ian Wolf said:
AOD also didn't have a multi million dollar fund to start them off. Cut them some slack. It'll improve when people support them.

And for the record, CR's player is ass and the video quality is sub-par.

Maxon said:
And for the record, CR's player is ass and the video quality is sub-par.
Still doesn't stop it from being better.

Still has the keyboard controls, and the open into window at native resolution button.
Not being able to skip about is annoying, but that's due to the very useful huge sized buffer.

Quality is still bad; artefacts and contrast issues (burned out whites) mostly. Issues with upscaling may be with masters, they get what was broadcast (I think), certainly not consitent between series.

kaze_andrew said:
What else would you guys like to see come in too in order to tempt you over - figured I'd ask while I'm here?
If a personal appeal is being made, I would be most tempted by seeing old and OOP titles being resurrected through streaming.
This is most certainly a tall order, but I must admit to having little zeal for new releases.

Zin5ki said:
kaze_andrew said:
If a personal appeal is being made
Points an Anime Network's entire American catalogue... (Section 23/ Sentai Filmworks)
Roughly that.. but sub only.

About half their catalogue is shows I want more than almost anything that's come out in the UK within memory.

Back