Anime Network launches video-on-demand in the UK

According to the Shows link Revolutionary Girl Utena is coming soon. Finally! Never thought I'd get the opportunity to legally watch that! Had given up hope on DVD's.

I'd have to trial it first, if they get a bigger line-up.
Only news of it being on Sky though sadly, have virgin media currently.

Just found a little snag.
By using a proxy, I discovered that only half of the titles approved for R1 streaming are currently available over here, which would mean no Utena for us even if we subscribed.

I think I'll wait for the deal to improve on our end before paying up- £4.99 is actually more than the $6.95 being charged to customers on the more bountiful side of the pond.

Zin5ki said:
I think I'll wait for the deal to improve on our end before paying up- £4.99 is actually more than the $6.95 being charged to customers on the more bountiful side of the pond.
Not by much though, only an extra 74p at today's rates. I don't think £1.25 a week is bad when you consider say, how much a Television License or a Sky subscription costs.

In fairness, the website is still in beta and hopefully the ink is about to dry for the rest of the shows , before they can actually release the other shows.
I think that everyone should give Princess Tutu a try. It's episodic, it's about ballet and it's fantastic.

IAmNotKira said:
I'd have to trial it first, if they get a bigger line-up.
Only news of it being on Sky though sadly, have virgin media currently.

It's not on Sky or Virgin. It's online. They were only mentioning Sky channel 195 (Propeller TV) since that was where TAN used to have a two hour anime block.

Zin5ki said:
Just found a little snag.
By using a proxy, I discovered that only half of the titles approved for R1 streaming are currently available over here, which would mean no Utena for us even if we subscribed.

That sounds like a deal breaker for me. I'm not paying more for less.

It's good that ADV (or whoever) has gotten the "Give the UK a service" part right but they still need to get the "Get all the shows on the service" part right before anything can happen as far as Readies are concerned.

I'm sure they are limited by what licences they have for each series. They can't exactly air an anime online over here, when they don't have the online rights for over here.

But they should lower the price to respect that lower number of series.

The problem for me is that: I would love to sign-up, but it's hard for me to watch on the computer. I'm lucky I went through quite a lot of anime this summer because it was put on my PSP and I could plug it in my 360/PS3 and watch it on TV.

If they partnered with Sky, Virgin or XBL, I would gladly use their on-demand service. But as of now, it's increasingly hard for me to watch anime on my computer. There's other stuff distracting me.

I've been getting e-mails from TAN twice now about this. Though it's great that they are doing legit streaming, frankly looking at the list available to us it's just repeats from when they were on Propeller, or I've already seen on DVD. Not worth the effort until something new and original is included. But seeing as this is ADV that will be quite thin on the shelf, even in the US. Great idea, if a bit too late in the day.

I'm still somewhat ticked we can't see Utena, and I'll bet you anything that if MVM didn't shove thier gigantic noses into the situation by releaseing the movie (Christ, who releases Utena the movie before Utena the series?) we might have gotten the Evangelion of Magical Girls.

But alas.

Back