Anime: my eternal nostalgia trip

@Aion - Know your place *sword down - slashes*

Ok, swords fetishes aside, don't force me to bitch-slap you. Be nice to new member and perhaps they might even like you in the future.

In my experience, the easiest way to befriend an internet female is to suggest they're actually male, lacking any trace of femininity, and be sexist where possible. It's connected to the whole 'bad boys win, nice guys lose' thing that forces females to go for ********s.

Trust me: Vivi will come back; desiring to type with me at length. Her e-lust will only increase with every insult aimed at her.

That-Bastard-Bad-Guy-Aion said:
In my experience, the easiest way to befriend an internet female is to suggest they're actually male, lacking any trace of femininity, and be sexist where possible. It's connected to the whole 'bad boys win, nice guys lose' thing that forces females to go for ********s.

Trust me: Vivi will come back; desiring to type with me at length. Her e-lust will only increase with every insult aimed at her.
It's such a twisted way to look at things that I can't help, but laugh. It is still not the best way to address people, if you wanna an ****, you can still be without calling people names you know? =P

VivisQueen said:
ilmaestro said:
Trying to push them onto anyone I can find, as they are in the small minority of anime commentators who actually talk sense! Listening to them is probably the quickest way to work out my general views on anime (except that I don't hate moe ^^; ). Just a shame they can't make any money from it and can't do the shows as regularly these days. :/
Not been listening for a long while because I'm not too interested in their Decade in Review stuff. I did check out their 2007 one because I thought that year was really quite satisfying (they forgot Bokurano!!). Downloading 2008-2009 as we speak.

I agree that they often make sense, although, when they get opinionated on occasion, it can be a bit cringe-worthy. I presume that other podcasts are only worse, considering the law of averages on the internet. Haha. My favourite of the three hosts is Gerald Rathkolb, just because he sounds like he belongs in a neurotic comedy like Black Books. PLUS he reviewed one of my favourite childhood shows, Future Police Urashiman!
Gerald is actually too funny. It's dropped down a level over the last year or so's worth of shows but his bickering with Clarissa just cracks me up.

I almost like it more when they start really going off on one as waaaaaay too many people these days simply like everything, or aren't really prepared to bash something, especially not when it's been sent to them as a review copy. ^^; I think there's usually a grain of a sensible argument behind most things they say, anyway. But yeah, they are certainly a bit stuck in their ways over some things.

Best things for me have been their review of DYRL, and the two interviews with the “Old Timers of Anime”, but I'm sure I could re-listen to a lot of their stuff and still be entertained.

ilmaestro said:
Gerald is actually too funny. It's dropped down a level over the last year or so's worth of shows but his bickering with Clarissa just cracks me up.

I almost like it more when they start really going off on one as waaaaaay too many people these days simply like everything, or aren't really prepared to bash something, especially not when it's been sent to them as a review copy. ^^; I think there's usually a grain of a sensible argument behind most things they say, anyway. But yeah, they are certainly a bit stuck in their ways over some things.

Best things for me have been their review of DYRL, and the two interviews with the “Old Timers of Anime”, but I'm sure I could re-listen to a lot of their stuff and still be entertained.

I agree on the above highlighted point, especially. I remember the days when ANN's reviews rocked my world. Now I recognise them for the whitewashed, banal industry mouthpieces that they are. Finding an ANN review with a rating less than B is so rare it's not even worth checking the ratings anymore. But AP reviews are way more discriminating (so are THEM, and The Anime Review, and Nihon), so the fact that other reviewers might be is not such an impressive factor anymore. Incidentally, there's an episode of ANN podcast where Daryl is a guest, and the comments on AWO just rant about how Daryl's been the only good thing in ages on that. Made me laugh. I downloaded it and will be checking it out for laughs.

I tend to love AWO more for the diversity of the stuff they cover and their sheer store of knowledge. I mean, if I had any of the hosts' understanding of anime, I'd probably find it hard to relate to anybody under the age of 50 who came to my page ranting about how Code Geass R2 is so DEEP and PHILOSOPHICAL and, like, about WAR! But there they are, still relevant, still passionate, and still engaging with the most babyish of us all. Everytime I play an episode, I think I'm going to learn something fascinating. They've kind of become my Roger Ebert of anime.

Incidentally, I just posted on the 2007 episode that Gerald should watch Mononoke. If he does and reviews it (unlikely), I'll do a backflip.

Bastard: Go here: http://www.animedates.com/

I will take a look at a couple of those review places, haven't read THEM or Nihon before (although THEM seems to be down atm?). And yeah, depth of knowledge is absolutely insane on AWO, Daryl especially is like some sort of walking anidb. Will have to check out that ANN podcast ep, too, cheers.

Hey, I kind of like this new member, she doesn't seem reluctant to reply to Aion's post or be intimidated by what he has to say either. Welcome.

dogsigsm.gif

ilmaestro said:
Will have to check out that ANN podcast ep, too, cheers.

I checked out that ANNcast last night (link: http://www.awopodcast.com/2009/10/bonus ... ncast.html). Bertschy's and Zevakis' professionalism shines through because they stick to these three fast podcasting rules:

1) Immediately pidgeonhole your guest so that all your readers know exactly who they are listening to. Even if your guest denies that pidgeonhole, disregard them with a subtle phrase like 'Anyway, so you ARE!'

2) Make your guest feel welcome by calling them longwinded and boring. Guests love that, especially after you must have gone to the effort of inviting them.

3) Interrupt them as often as possible with jokes and anecdotes of your own, and then fill the silence with your own sniggers. After all, if you don't laught at your jokes, who will??

Even worse, I came away having learned nothing interesting - or even anything at all. Presumably, not all their podcasts are like that because Daryl defends them AND they're still running!

VivisQueen said:
ilmaestro said:
Will have to check out that ANN podcast ep, too, cheers.

I checked out that ANNcast last night (link: http://www.awopodcast.com/2009/10/bonus ... ncast.html). Bertschy's and Zevakis' professionalism shines through because they stick to these three fast podcasting rules:

1) Immediately pidgeonhole your guest so that all your readers know exactly who they are listening to. Even if your guest denies that pidgeonhole, disregard them with a subtle phrase like 'Anyway, so you ARE!'

2) Make your guest feel welcome by calling them longwinded and boring. Guests love that, especially after you must have gone to the effort of inviting them.

3) Interrupt them as often as possible with jokes and anecdotes of your own, and then fill the silence with your own sniggers. After all, if you don't laught at your jokes, who will??

Even worse, I came away having learned nothing interesting - or even anything at all. Presumably, not all their podcasts are like that because Daryl defends them AND they're still running!

Sounds crap to me,
Try These guys, their funny and give fairly good reviews on shows.

Yeah, there's rob who's scottish, damian from the middlands somewhere and Ian from essex.

With each podcast lasting a fair few hours, latest one lasting 2hours 55mins lol.

Why would someone listen to someone else talk about anime when it's only the voice in your head you should listen to? Listening to random people, rather than actually watching anime, strikes me as being an excellent way to waste time.

If you were having a conversation with someone - exchanging views - that'd be different. But listening to unrelated people talk the talk? Nah.

Why would someone listen to someone else talk about anime when it's only the voice in your head you should listen to? Listening to random people, rather than actually watching anime, strikes me as being an excellent way to waste time.

If you were having a conversation with someone - exchanging views - that'd be different. But listening to unrelated people talk the talk? Nah.
Don't listen to them myself but isn't it more like reviews in Audio? In the end it's no real difference from just reading reviews (only with less effort involved). You could record yourself reading your own reviews Aion and have your own podcast.
:D

Voddas said:

Don't listen to them myself but isn't it more like reviews in Audio? In the end it's no real difference from just reading reviews (only with less effort involved). You could record yourself reading your own reviews Aion and have your own podcast.
:D

@ Aion, i think Voddas has summed up pretty much what i was going to say.

When your sat in work and don't really have the time to sit reading through a large review, its just easier to listen to somebody else review it. Also if the review is good i'm more likely to go seek out the anime.

Plus, if i haven't heard of an anime series before, then its another way for me to find new things to watch.

This is the problem with this shithole of a country: people listening to anime chatter at work instead of actually working. It reminds of of when some fella on another forum had a go about me linking to the incesteous Koi Kaze... because he didn't want others at work to know he watched such 'filth'. Some people...

As for me reviewing **** with my voice, as opposed to using twenty paragraphs, it'd be too much hassle scripting/not making mistakes. Audio reviews are only entertaining when they're recorded with the intent of being funny, rather than being truly insightful.

This guy is a great example of the qualities required of a video reviewer: http://www.youtube.com/user/gigguk

This is the problem with this shithole of a country: people listening to anime chatter at work instead of actually working. It reminds of of when some fella on another forum had a go about me linking to the incesteous Koi Kaze... because he didn't want others at work to know he watched such 'filth'. Some people...

As england is the most worked country within the EU, i'd think abit of down time is a productive thing. Stress relieving in a way.

And speaking of jobs, Do you actually have one? you spend rather alot of time on the forums, and tend to buy anime/manga regularly. So your either at work some of the time and likewise checking the forums (making you a hypocrite) or you have no job, in which case your criticising me for not working, when in reality my working is funding you, sat on your **** at home, reaping the benefits of taxpayers.

As for me reviewing **** with my voice, as opposed to using twenty paragraphs, it'd be too much hassle scripting/not making mistakes. Audio reviews are only entertaining when they're recorded with the intent of being funny, rather than being truly insightful.

Thats more personal preference, you believe that a podcast is "only entertaining when they're recorded with the intent of being funny, rather than being truly insightful". Listen to the Eyeonanime podcast before you assume that its intended for comedy reasons. They review anime, highlight upcoming titles and also talk about the history of the industry. Its more insightful than your assuming it is.

As others summed up before. Basically because I can listen to a podcast while at work, but can't really watch anything. In a way it's the same as my intra-day posts here. Think of this as just a breather.

I start woking at 7am and finish at 5pm. I do need my breaks!!! =P

Tachi- said:
And speaking of jobs, Do you actually have one? you spend rather alot of time on the forums, and tend to buy anime/manga regularly. So your either at work some of the time and likewise checking the forums (making you a hypocrite) or you have no job, in which case your criticising me for not working, when in reality my working is funding you, sat on your **** at home, reaping the benefits of taxpayers.
Touché :p

Back