Anime Limited Reveals Patema Inverted's Ultimate Edition Art

Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

britguy said:
@vox the inner bit at the school is what I believe to be the digipack
Ah right, thought it might have been that but wasn't sure - cheers for clearing that up. :)

I actually like the newer artwork. Both the one used at the beginning of the Kickstarter and this one look nice and I'd be happy with either one of them.

I'm just gonna say out of all the artwork showcased my favorite is the standard Amaray cover :p (which is a shame as I went for the Collector's Edition)

I'll just pipe up to say I much prefer the new artwork, I always found the previous art to be a bit boring tbh and I think this new design is much more interesting. The design of the box is very important for an ultimate edition and I personally am now much more tempted to get the UE instead of the CE that I have on preorder. I think you've done a great job on this project, so chin up mate.

What was so good about the previous Ultimate Edition cover art? Wasn't that the one with a bloke standing in a field? The new one's an improvement on that.

The "inversion" piece that's being used for the Amaray version is best, though.

I think the exclusive artwork looks really nice. I didn't say anything because it seemed unnecessary and having the clean/text-filled versions as options via an o-card is something I wish everyone did with their artboxes. Does the other artwork (the one from the basic set which seems to have a vocal minority whipped into a frenzy) appear anywhere else in the Ultimate set?

R

Re: Anime Limited Reveals Patema Inverted's Ultimate Edition

I was getting this pretty much going on the Kickstarter artwork - but that new cover makes it look insanely generic.

Original proposed Standard Edition
ca3209644adfb8ad14c221f075474e6a_large.png

Original proposed Collectors Edition
a338e3208aebca0d4cfe18bbd843f4c2_large.png

Original proposed Ultimate Edition
88d800a53b81b983973c11572d8e653b_large.png

New proposed Ultimate Edition
1c0da9d8cd57f7fcbe2cbc614381770d_large.jpg

Personally, I reckon the original standard edition had the best cover - but I'm happy regardless to be honest. The quality of the package overall remains the same.

I actually like the new Ultimate edition cover, a lot more than the original one, though I have to agree with the general consensus that the standard edition had the best cover. Still, no complaints from me.

First and foremost, I liked the original artwork for the Ultimate Edition and I quite frankly really like the new artwork as well.
I consider knowing it's unique and an one-off in the world a valueless bonus, and I am glad Andrew got this back from Japan!

vashdaman said:
Cha, you're right indeed Ath. I have no clue what this anime is, but whoever made the decision to put that uninspired choice of artwork on the cover instead of that truly lovely piece you linked.
I disagree with your claim the new artwork is an uninspired choice of artwork.
I find most images I have seen in relation to Patema Inverted very inspiring, beautiful and more. And this is no exception.

LtDiscotek said:
Yikes, that new cover is terrible, and I mean, TERRIBLE. I backed the UE simply because I thought the artwork looked far classier and swish than the regular edition. Now this looks like some thrown together photo shop crap. Shame, now I have to choose between the big standard regular edition with the far nicer artwork but no physical extras or the UE with all the physical extras but **** cover. *SIGH* WHYYYYYYY AL!? I thought you had standards! *sigh*
No need to offend people with your opinion. You're not only offending Andrew, Kat, Kerry and the artist there!

This makes me wonder whether people can read, because it was clearly stated to be preliminary ("subject to change") from the get-go.
So you should have considered that from the start it might or would change! And the stretch goals were pretty clear as well.

Cactus said:
I was getting this pretty much going on the Kickstarter artwork - but that new cover makes it look insanely generic.
Any chance you can showcase the fact it'd be generic? Because I only see a beautiful unique piece of art of a surely wonderful movie.

anime_andrew said:
True - and it was the catch-22 of using an actual artwork instead of summarising or such I guess! As you guessed - I'm trying to work out something that makes sense WRT the o-card for backers now too as I don't want people to feel put out or such so let me see what I can do there I guess especially as while a minority, it's one who I want to try to placate at least :).

AP
Eh? *points left* Huh *points right* Wha..?! *points other place* He *...* Ha *..* Hu *180 turn*
*smashes head on desk a few times*

anime_andrew said:
Well firstly I do have standards - in fact I also have feelings and obviously they're feeling a bit aback by people's reactions. I actually really liked what was done and I'm sorry people feel this way over it - let me see about it and I'll discuss in house though. We paid for the usage for specifically this edition though so if we don't use it here, it's basically wasted so I have to think very hard on the logical course of action. Watch this space and let me get back to folks as I have a few ideas :).

Le sigh.
Do me a favour, and ask somebody you like/love to give you a hug from me.

I don't really have an issue with the new artwork - in fact I really like all the artwork I've seen for Patema so far which makes it hard not to be picky when something changes, but also hard to find a way to keep everyone happy.
The original Japanese Cover (UK Standard Edition) is my favorite out of all of them, but so long as it's featured somewhere - whether it's the front of the booklet or even something like an art card I'm not fussed.
In an ideal world, a clean artbox with an O-Card featuring the aforementioned artwork over the top would be great in my opinion, but it all comes down to whether you can make it work, both design wise and financially.
Either way, I trust your judgement Andrew and I'm always excited to see what you come up with next.

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can`t please all the people all of the time!
I for one don't have a problem with the new artwork. If it is what you believe in (and paid for) Andrew then I say use it and don't let it go to waste.

One thing that's always worth remembering I suppose when dealing with the original rights-holders is that basically, you're completely in subservience to them - if they say 'Hey, use different artwork' then you're screwed, because otherwise you do what they say or the release it completely off the cards.

Back