UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I just want to say a massive thank you to @anime_andrew, @Hanners and everyone at Anime Limited for making it possible for me to see Godzilla Minus One at the cinema. I've written up my review in the appropriate thread, but the short version is: this is a masterpiece that will undoubtedly become of the classics of the genre. Seeing it on the largest screen possible is integral to the experience, so anyone with the slightest interest needs to get to the cinema, stat.

It's getting far more screenings than were announced a few weeks ago too; my local cinema initially only had one screening per day for three days listed, but now they're running it throughout the day for at least the next week.

Has there been any word on whether Anime Limited have the home release rights too?
The screening at my local Vue yesterday appeared to be sold out (or at least looked rather full from where I was sitting). Good to see it performing well.

Not to talk down my local area but biggest surprise was Burnley having 20-30 people in the mid-afternoon screening. Admittedly some of them were the most annoying, ignorant, weak bladdered people in existence but that’s the modern cinema experience and I’m a self-confessed grumpy old man.

Anyway, as someone who’s never watched a Toho Godzilla before, Minus One is excellent and if you get the chance you really should see it.

I just got back from watching Godzilla Minus One at my local IMAX screening.

My thoughts here (no spoilers):
This might be the best Godzilla film of the ones I've seen so far. The story was really good and a great cast of characters which aren't all over the place (like Shin Godzilla, still a great film but too many characters causing a bit of a mess, maybe intentional given the satire theme but still) or just annoying (like the US ones, I do like the 2014 film but its not as memorable or developed well).

The music, especially in IMAX, holy shiit is absolutely spectacular and I hope the OST is included on the home video release. Special effects were pretty solid considering its not a massive budget film and overall I very much enjoyed it. This better receive a UK 4K Ultra HD release as it's deserving of one.

As much as I loved Shin Godzilla, Minus One feels like the first proper serious film for the franchise in the modern era. So yeah, do try and check out Godzilla Minus One if you can at your local screening. It's definitely one worth viewing on the big screen but if you can't and if Anime Limited somehow manages to get the home video rights (especially in 4K UHD), its worth buying day one.

1702771844501.png

Appreciate Anime Limited for managing to get their hands on the theatrical rights for this film.

The music, especially in IMAX, holy shiit is absolutely spectacular and I hope the OST is included on the home video release. Special effects were pretty solid considering its not a massive budget film and overall I very much enjoyed it. This better receive a UK 4K Ultra HD release as it's deserving of one.
The OST is on iTunes, for anyone who doesn't mind buying digital. I would love AL to give this a CE or ultimate edition though. A chonky book of production art and interviews would be great.

If Minus One has piqued anyone's interest in other films by writer/director Takashi Yamazaki, here's the current state of availability in English for his other movies, plus some notes on the ones I've seen.
  • Returner - UK DVD. May be OOP, but is still surprisingly cheap and easy to find, despite being a release from 20 years ago. I watched this again yesterday and the picture quality holds up well for a DVD, probably because Tristar handled the western release. It's a fun action movie that mixes time travel, aliens, and (since this was a 2002 movie) some slow-motion effects ripped straight from The Matrix.
  • Always: Sunset on Third Street trilogy - Showa-era domestic dramas set in the 50s and 60s. The JP, Thai and Australian DVDs of the first two movies have English subtitles. The JP BDs of the first two don't have English subtitles, but the BD of the third movie ('64) does. Only the third one is currently in print.
  • Space Battleship Yamato (live-action movie) - UK BD from Manga Entertainment, but seems to be OOP and expensive to find now. It eschews the old-school space opera of the original for a style heavily influence by the Battlestar Galactica reboot. While 2199 remains the best way to experience Yamato, this is a good movie too, and different enough to be worth watching even if you've seen 2199.
  • The Eternal Zero - UK DVD and digital release, but the title was changed to the painfully generic The Fighter Pilot. Like Minus One, this is another heart-wrenching movie about a 'disgraced' kamikaze pilot. One of Yamazaki's best.
  • Stand By Me Doraemon - streaming on Netflix
  • Parasyte (live-action movies) - both on UK BD
  • Destiny: The Tale of Kamakura - digital-only release on Amazon. I think this is about a detective who can see yokai.
  • The Great War of Archimedes - US BD. Another 40s period piece. This one is about the people who decided whether to build the massively expensive battleship Yamato.
  • Dragon Quest: Your Story - streaming on Netflix
  • Lupin III: The First - Anime Limited BD

So I placed an order of 5 in-stock items on the very 1st day of AlltheAnime's Christmas Sale on 1/12, and the order still has not shipped. I was hoping to receive the package here in the US before Christmas, but now it's looking like I it won't even arrive before the end of this year anymore... 🙁

Are they not shipping any orders yet from the Sale?

Last edited:
Back