UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Had a look at what the Italian Dynit release was offered against the Japanese BD-Box. Dynit claims to have more than what's mentioned so below ain't final.

This list is based on the Japanese BD-Box list with the highlighted ones mentioned in the Dynit listing.
BD-BOX Discs 1-5 [Neon Genesis Evangelion TV Series, Episodes 1-26]:
  • 30-second next-episode previews (eps. 1-20)
BD-BOX Disc 6 [Evangelion: Death & Rebirth]:
  • Teaser, trailer, TV spot
BD-BOX Disc 7 [The End of Evangelion]:
  • Trailer, TV spot
  • 5.1 surround original 22 track OST version by Anno (from 2003 DVD)
  • Musunde Hiraite: First ever full-size compilation of musical tracks that appeared on Episode 26 "Magokoro o, kimi ni," based on raw recording
BD-BOX Disc 8 [Revival of Evangelion aka Evangelion: Death(true)² to The End of Evangelion]:
  • No on-disc extras mentioned.
BD-BOX Disc 9 [Extras]:
  • Home Video version of Episode 25 "Air"
    • Included in LaserDisc/VHS release 'Neon Genesis Evangelion Genesis 0:13'
  • Home Video version of Episode 26 "Magokoro o, kimi ni"
    • Included in LaserDisc/VHS release 'Neon Genesis Evangelion Genesis 0:14'
  • Clean Opening Sequence
  • Clean Closing Sequence
  • Image board collection
    • A collection of image boards and design sheets drawn during the television series' planning stages, set to the original soundtrack
    • (first featured in 'Neon Genesis Evangelion Genesis 0:1' LaserDisc and videotape's special bonus extras)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion Genesis 0:0 In the Beginning Special Preview
    • Promo video released ahead of the laser disc and VHS release
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion Genesis 0:0' The Light From the Darkness
    • Special appreciation video released with the Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth VHS
  • Episode 26 live-action segments' special rush print
    • Live-action segments of "Magokoro o, kimi ni" edited personally by chief director Hideaki Anno in accordance with the script
  • Episode 26 live-action segments' on-set video
    • Making-of footage from the filming of the live action segments of "Magokoro o, kimi ni," newly edited (Filming: Hideaki Anno, others)
  • Episode 26, alternate last scene
    • A version of the last scene with Asuka with a different script than the final version, made during production.
  • TV spot collection:
    • Neon Genesis Evangelion 15-second television commercial
    • Neon Genesis Evangelion 30-second television commercial
    • Sega Saturn game Neon Genesis Evangelion (SEGA)
    • Monthly Newtype March 1996 issue (Kadokawa Shoten)
    • Shōnen Ace April 1996 issue (Kadokawa Shoten)
    • Neon Genesis Evangelion Air/Magokoro o, kimi ni TV spot, offline edited version A
    • Neon Genesis Evangelion Air/Magokoro o, kimi ni TV spot, offline edited version B
  • Music video collection:
    • Full size opening "Cruel Angel's Thesis"
    • Full size ending "Fly Me to the Moon"
    • "Tamashii no Refrain" Yoko Takahashi
    • "Thanatos - If I Can't Be Yours" Loren & Mash
    • "Armageddon" Shiro Sagisu
    • "Tengoku no Kioku" Megumi Hayashibara
      • * Music videos edited by TV series assistant director Masayuki
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion Blu-ray Box promotional video
BD-BOX Disc 10 [Extras]:
  • Episode rush prints used for the dialogue recording and sound dubbing
    • Episode 9 "Shunkan, kokoro, kasanete"
    • Episode 15 "Uso to chinmoku"
    • Episode 18 "Inochi no sentaku o"
    • Episode 19 "Otoko no tatakai"
    • Episode 20 "Kokoro no katachi, hito no katachi"
    • Episode 21 "NERV, tanjou"
    • Episode 22 "Semete, hito rashiku"
    • Episode 23 "Namida"
    • Episode 24 "Saigo no shito"
    • Episode 25 "Owaru sekai"
    • Last episode "Sekai no chuushin de ai wo sakenda mono"
    • Evangelion: Rebirth
    • Episode 25: "Air" (partial)
      • *Partially finished versions of the episodes used during the dialogue recording and sound dubbing process (first included in the 2003 DVD-BOX video content)
OLTRE 120 minuti di contenuti extra:
  • Episodi 25esimo e 26esimo in versione home-video (lingua originale con sottotitoli italiani)
  • NEON GENESIS EVANGELION: Genesis 0:0 IN THE BEGINNING (documentario di presentazione dell’opera con interviste allo staff)
  • NEON GENESIS EVANGELION: Genesis 0:0' THE LIGHT FROM DARKNESS (documentario con interviste ai doppiatori giapponesi, anticipazioni e molto altro)
  • Rush video per indicare le durate ad uso di doppiaggio e sonorizzazione
  • Colonna sonora originale in versione surround 5.1ch (22 tracce selezionate dal regista Hideaki Anno)
  • Registrazioni audio dei provini dei doppiatori giapponesi
  • E molto altro!
So my assumption from this is that everything except the live-action Episode 26 extras are probably going to be included in the western releases.

All that Japanese stuff is honestly pseudo-level as far as I'm concerned. I'm interested in the documentaries, mainly the one with staff interviews. Those are always the most interesting. Anyway, only a few hours left! Curious if we'll get one of those Facebook leaks or something of the sort.

I'm expecting the Evangelion fanbase to be split into different groups based on the reactions of the set.

Group A: Those who were hoping for an expensive but reasonably priced set, ends up with having to pay more:
1CLtkGy.gif
Group B: Those who are mad in money and will end up paying for the set at full retail with no hesitation:
Hy1yI9p.gif
Group C: Those who don't care about expensive products and celebrate those who do:
tQJrvGQ.gif
Group D: Those who prepare themselves for the best and worst outcomes in order to secure a copy:
tBVfYXb.jpg
Group E: Those who have the highest of expectations and do not get what they want but will still buy it anyway:
N9f8ZzG.gif
Group F: Those who pretend to be fans and realise what they have gotten themselves into:

Group D for me, I have money aside but won't be too sad if worst happens and I can't get it for one reason or another

Had a look at what the Italian Dynit release was offered against the Japanese BD-Box. Dynit claims to have more than what's mentioned so below ain't final.

This list is based on the Japanese BD-Box list with the highlighted ones mentioned in the Dynit listing.
[Snip]
So my assumption from this is that everything except the live-action Episode 26 extras are probably going to be included in the western releases.

You think it's going to have Death & Rebirth as well?

I'm in camp that thinks NGE is a masterpiece, so I'm fine with paying a premium for it - I'd just rather it was a truly definitive edition and not what I'm anticipating will be a compromise. But I wait with baited breath...

It would be one of the few ultimate editions I'd actually want if the extras are right but realistically I will only get the standard release as I can't justify spending 3 figures on kitsch & and it's not an investment if I'll never part with it.
I just hope it doesn't suffer a stupidly long delay like many of AL's past standard releases.

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that Funimation had the rights to the movies?

Though I should stop thinking about that so hard as Anime licenses are fickle things I have learned.

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that Funimation had the rights to the movies?

Though I should stop thinking about that so hard as Anime licenses are fickle things I have learned.
Funimation has the home video (not streaming, hence how Amazon got it) rights for 1.11, 2.22 & 3.33 for UK & US. But it seems 1.11 is currently out of print in both territories so that film might have expired by now.

Funimation has the home video (not streaming, hence how Amazon got it) rights for 1.11, 2.22 & 3.33 for UK & US. But it seems 1.11 is currently out of print in both territories so that film might have expired by now.
I guess those are recap films ala the Code Geass trilogy? Though I have no idea if there's any plot relevance in them that will need me to check them out seperately from this ultimate edition (or if it's like Geass where you don't really need to see the recap trilogy to watch resurection).

I guess those are recap films ala the Code Geass trilogy? Though I have no idea if there's any plot relevance in them that will need me to check them out seperately from this ultimate edition (or if it's like Geass where you don't really need to see the recap trilogy to watch resurection).

Actually, 1.11 is kind of a recap of the first 6 eps but there's a lot more different stuff in 2.22 and then 3.33 (which I have seen) and the fourth rebuild film (which I haven't apart from the first few minutes) are all new :)

The films are more like an alternate universe/route akin to the Fate series etc. You want to be watching both.

That is an apt analogy for me so thank you. Hopefully the viewing order is less complicated though :p
Yeah, just original then Rebuild :)
Rebuild starts off as essentially a remake of the original in the first film, then the second film is a much looser remake and by the third film it is totally its own story.
Incidentally the orginal series does has a recap movie, the final cut of which ( Death(true)2) we know is included in this set.

That's good.

I was just looking it up on a reddit post and err, yours is much simpler. The reddit post went into which episodes you want to swap out for a directors cut version and I was just thinking what have I gotten myself into.
You really don't need to worry about the Directors Cut episodes. If you watch on Netflix only the directors cut versions of the episodes with them are available so you'll see those ones just by watching. I'm hoping this set will have the original versions too, if it does just be aware that epsiodes 21-24 have an original cut and a director's cut version and you are better off watching the later.

Back